SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Recruiting

Hambone

You are projecting a "LeBron" quality on Travis for using the word "something"? Using the word "something" equates to "me, me, me,"? I may have missed it, but did Travis make his announcement of "something" on a primetime special? A live webcast?

Something is just...something. Whatever weight or expectation that gets attached to that word is on the reader. Travis said he would have "something" the next day. And he did...no more, no less. The fact that bisonville posters attached a significance to the word "something" which rose to the level of the Lebron decision, is a direct reflection of their expectations. Unrealistic expectations are the foundation of resentment...as we saw with the irrational reaction on bisonville.

Yeah I agree those guys over reacted. 10 fans going nuts on a messageboard don't equate to an entire fanbase.

Let's just say Travis is no Dom Izzo then.

So we have a fairly big recruiting weekend it seems, and I've heard the weather up there may not be the best. Hopefully everyone is able to make it up there and have a good time. Hopefully we get a few chest bumps (specifically looking at Mr. Thurman :) ) by Sunday. Has anyone heard of others that are going to be on campus this weekend?

Wow - I sure wish the recruits were in town today. I just checked Yahoo Weather and it indicates it is 48 up there right now - is that correct? Unfortunately, the forecast for Saturday is a high of 3 and low of -13 combined with the potential blizzard conditions. Not good in two ways. If a kid can't make it this weekend, he probably won't visit due to other scheduled trips. Secondly - you don't want prospects from warmer climates to think the GF weather is like that all the time during the winter. I know we have lost some good recruits in the past due to lousy weather during their visits.

I just hope we don't get a similar message from Travis regarding Dan Bell!

Thats what I was thinking. Its been rather quiet regarding Bell. Judging from the press he got this fall and him being open about he'd consider a D1 offer if it came along, I'm hoping it works out with him. I wonder if Travis has any news on him

Wow - I sure wish the recruits were in town today. I just checked Yahoo Weather and it indicates it is 48 up there right now - is that correct? Unfortunately, the forecast for Saturday is a high of 3 and low of -13 combined with the potential blizzard conditions. Not good in two ways. If a kid can't make it this weekend, he probably won't visit due to other scheduled trips. Secondly - you don't want prospects from warmer climates to think the GF weather is like that all the time during the winter. I know we have lost some good recruits in the past due to lousy weather during their visits.

Today is one of the most beautiful January days I have ever seen.

I know that we had a wish list put together earlier, so I thought I'd do a little refresher. Here is a want (somewhat realistic in my mind) list that I have by position and need.

QB - we only have one known offer out right now, and that's to Conor Rhoda. I haven't really seen enough of him to determine my thoughts, but the coaches must really like him and I'm a believer that we should try to have a QB in every class. Another option would be a PWO to someone like an Eric Bachmeier our of Kindred.

RB - As much as I'd like a Kani Benoit, I think that we're going to get Bridge Tusler out of Osseo. I really like him as a player, and he has "winner" written all over him. I don't think you will have anyone work as hard as he will to succeed. Also a wild card would be Layne Johs.

WR - even with Robertson on board, he will likely only have four years so he's not a redshirt candidate. I'd like to see Aeron Carr, and think we havea good shot at landing him, although I think he could also potentially play CB. I also believe that Frankie Felix out of AZ, who is listed as a RB, played mostly WR and could be a possiblity here.

OL - Assuming Dan Bell signs, we should be full here. However, I doubt they'd kick someone like Chad Fahning to the curb (although he is unlikely as he's interested in the U and the Ivies). I wouldn't mind seeing Carson Hogan as a PWO come in as well, since you can't teach size.

TE - A lot of good players with offers out there. I really like Noah Scarver, but to be honest I'd love to see him at DE. But if we can't land Scarver, I like Patrick Baldenegro out of AZ. He is friends with Frankie Felix I understand, so maybe we see them as a combo coming up to Grand Forks.

DT - With two already verballed, I think we are done here.

DE - My favorites are Lorenzo Melvin and Fred Beaugard, although it's hard not to like a lot of the others that we have offered. I'm really torn, but anyone on our offer list committing would be pretty good gets.

LB - Need a lot of help here. I really like Alipate and Redmond. Not sure how many UND is planning on signing, but these two I think are at the top of my list. Also really like AJ Goggin.

CB - With Ryan McKinley leaving UND off his favorites, and the offer list dwindling, I'm not sure who we pick up here. I just haven't seen much on any of these kids. This is where I wonder if Aeron Carr would help the most, or if Trev Hadachek would play CB for us.

S - Love Thurman. Really hope he joins the squad. Also really like Connor Strahm and Jesse Bobbit. I don't think we could go wrong with any of the kids on our list.

K/P - Seem to be good here.

What does everyone else think? Anyone I'm missing or anyone that I may have an overinflated sense of worth?

• Upvote 2

Nice post Hambone. Jaried Combs at TE has an impressive highlight tape. Also, Clarence Smith at RB looks nice and Dirrell Clark out of IL. He has had an offer from Purdue for a whilebut hasn't committed yet. Hoping Coach Luke can keep working his magic in Illinois.

On a side note, Jesse Kubick from Dickinson is a possibility for a PWO. He has $$ offered from Montana St. and right now has a PWO from FU and us but FU talked to him about a partial so we may have to as well. We have a decent shot as a PWO if FU's offer stays there. Big body, with good feet and strength. I think he could add to this class.

Nice post Hambone. Jaried Combs at TE has an impressive highlight tape. Also, Clarence Smith at RB looks nice and Dirrell Clark out of IL. He has had an offer from Purdue for a whilebut hasn't committed yet. Hoping Coach Luke can keep working his magic in Illinois.

On a side note, Jesse Kubick from Dickinson is a possibility for a PWO. He has $$ offered from Montana St. and right now has a PWO from FU and us but FU talked to him about a partial so we may have to as well. We have a decent shot as a PWO if FU's offer stays there. Big body, with good feet and strength. I think he could add to this class.

I left out Combs and Clark as they both list us as "Low" on scout, so they are not likely the way it looks. Both would be good gets, but I don't see it (although I'd love to be wrong). Forgot about Kubick - he would be nice as well.

I agree - good assessment, Hambone. We have offers out to a lot of talented prospects - I sure hope we can get a few of them. I had expected more of them to have made decisions by now.

I wasn't familiar with Hogan. Wow - he is a big kid, isn't he? Kubick has nice size, too!