SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs BADgers

AZSIOUX

This hockey season more than ever has reaffirmed the case that a hockey team needs four lines to be successful. On the live blog on Saturday night I believe the UND SID said that the fourth line wings (no center, not enough bodies) had only seen one shift the entire third period.....

I think someone said it earlier....absolutely need to slow the pace down. Race horse hockey can't happen for long stretches. Heck yes its fun to watch, but you saw at the end of the SCSU Saturday night game.....one gassed hockey team....lucky to get out with two points.

How does one slow the pace down when there's another team out there? Physical play? Which takes more of a toll on the body - speed or checking?

I think having the extra ~3000 sq. ft. of the olympic surface to cover last weekend didn't do us any favors as well. It will probably be a little tighter and hopefully easier on our thin lineup this weekend on an NHL sheet.

Boosters today should be pretty entertaining. For those who haven't been before, the food is usually pretty good and the speakers always interesting..

From UNDSports.com...

Hear from University of North Dakota coaches at the UND Booster luncheon at noon on Friday in the Ralph Engelstad Arena lobby. Cost is $10 at the door.

Speaking this week:

Join the UND Boosters to prepare for the weekend of events.

How does one slow the pace down when there's another team out there? Physical play? Which takes more of a toll on the body - speed or checking?

I think having the extra ~3000 sq. ft. of the olympic surface to cover last weekend didn't do us any favors as well. It will probably be a little tighter and hopefully easier on our thin lineup this weekend on an NHL sheet.

My thought would be to slow it down with stoppages. Anytime Dell or Eids can they should freeze the puck. get the Knightline 20-30 seconds more of a breather.

I don't think anyone is advocating using the tactics that Michigan did against us last year to slow the game to a crawl, but anytime we have the opportunity to take an extra 30 seconds here or there with a frozen puck it would be to our advantage, we need to keep the top 3 lines on the ice as much as possible without burning them out before the stretch run in the third period.

If I'm Wisconsin I would push the puck hard at every opportunity and try to win the war of attrition later in the game, it's the right strategy considering our forward shortage.

I don't think anyone is advocating using the tactics that Michigan did against us last year to slow the game to a crawl, but anytime we have the opportunity to take an extra 30 seconds here or there with a frozen puck it would be to our advantage, we need to keep the top 3 lines on the ice as much as possible without burning them out before the stretch run in the third period.

If I'm Wisconsin I would push the puck hard at every opportunity and try to win the war of attrition later in the game, it's the right strategy considering our forward shortage.

For the first time in a long time a slow game pace and TV timeouts will be beneficial to the Sioux. Last year TV timeouts would hurt us because of our depth, this year is another story.

I will be at the Gopher-Huskies game tonight cheering for the Gopher rejects. Hopefully they don't announce the score during the game as I have it Tivoed.

How about we use this as the Friday night game thread???

From Brad's Blog:

UND’s lines

29 Brock Nelson–10 Corban Knight–7 Danny Kristo

16 Mark MacMillan–27 Carter Rowney–15 Michael Parks

28 Stephane Pattyn–9 Mario Lamoureux–13 Connor Gaarder

8 Dan Senkbeil–(no center)–14 Taylor Dickin

24 Ben Blood–22 Andrew Panzarella

2 Andrew MacWilliam–5 Nick Mattson

18 Dillon Simpson–20 Joe Gleason

4 Derek Forbort

32 Aaron Dell

31 Brad Eidsness