SiouxSports.com Forum

Where do you see UND going?

IrishSiouxFan

I will say this one more time: It...is...not...an...option.

Your "hypothetical quesiton" is not even a valid point of discussion because the NCAA would never allow a school to have just one sport each for men and women. You hockey-only types love to preach that "hockey drives the bus". Well, what is the point of having a bus without any passengers? And what was the point of moving up to Division I if everything is going to revolve around hockey and what REA, Inc. wants? We are losing ground to the Ag College in Fargo every year this nickname fight drags on and I am sick and tired of it. :angry:

uh-oh, an angry face!

UND is doing what is required to keep their membership in the BSC. The SL Tribe and the petition from members of the SR Tribe are done separate of the ND State Government institutions and the U of North Dakota.

Just because some crank columnist from Sacramento says "throw them out" doesn't mean it is even something on the radar of the BSC. Jeez! :silly:

UND is a member of the BSC and that won't change unless UND wants it to.

• Upvote 1

I'm not a hockey-only type. I attend more home football, basketball, and volley ball games than the majority of the people on this board. I hate to lose the name but I understand retiring it is in the schools best interest to retire it. I wrote this post before I realized that a school has to sponsor 7 sports per gender to qualify for D1 status, so relax, count to ten, and find your happy place :)

Okay, fair enough. I shall refrain from any further criticisms.

UND is doing what is required to keep their membership in the BSC. The SL Tribe and the petition from members of the SR Tribe are done separate of the ND State Government institutions and the U of North Dakota.

Just because some crank columnist from Sacramento says "throw them out" doesn't mean it is even something on the radar of the BSC. Jeez! :silly:

Maybe. As I read message boards, regional newspapers and listen to some of the stuff the BSC says.......it becomes pretty clear that the ONLY people excited about UND being in the Big Sky are the fans and staff of UND as well as the GF Herald. I think it is probable that the conference won't have the balls the jerk the invite, but there is clearly some buyers remorse from most in the Sky save the UND following. Because of that, I also would not be shocked if the Sky were to decide to rescind the invite. The travel and not having a travel partner (not having USD) is a real turn off for the other school in the Sky.....as is the messy problem with the nick name that seems to never go away.

Not only does the Big Fluffy need und, the USA needs und.

Maybe. As I read message boards, regional newspapers and listen to some of the stuff the BSC says.......it becomes pretty clear that the ONLY people excited about UND being in the Big Sky are the fans and staff of UND as well as the GF Herald. I think it is probable that the conference won't have the balls the jerk the invite, but there is clearly some buyers remorse from most in the Sky save the UND following. Because of that, I also would not be shocked if the Sky were to decide to rescind the invite. The travel and not having a travel partner (not having USD) is a real turn off for the other school in the Sky.....as is the messy problem with the nick name that seems to never go away.

I'm not sure you want to get into the discussion about "what I read about your team on message boards and regional newspapers." You have Lakes and JBB representing, remember.

Just by you bringing this up here again, I would guess McFeely has Doug Fullerton lined up as a guest for his show next week.

I'm not sure you want to get into the discussion about "what I read about your team on message boards and regional newspapers." You have Lakes and JBB representing, remember.

Just by you bringing this up here again, I would guess McFeely has Doug Fullerton lined up as a guest for his show next week.

Lakes and JBB have nothing to do with this. I am commenting on what I read on other Big Sky boards and in the newspapers that serve those communities. No one is leaping with glee about UND joining the Sky and when the subject comes up it certainly seems most have buyers remorse for the reasons mentioned in my previous post. Not sure what Lakes and JBB have to do with any of that......other than they will be throwing bombs if UND has the invite yanked. As for my opinion....I could care less other than it would be fun to see the Griz have some competition in the Sky.

How is it possible the Big Sky can rescind its offer to UND? I thought everything was in place and the move was to be made beginning next year. I am sure scheduling has already been made for sports such as football. This change of mind would leave UND totally screwed for all sports except of course hockey.

Lakes and JBB have nothing to do with this. I am commenting on what I read on other Big Sky boards and in the newspapers that serve those communities. No one is leaping with glee about UND joining the Sky and when the subject comes up it certainly seems most have buyers remorse for the reasons mentioned in my previous post. Not sure what Lakes and JBB have to do with any of that......other than they will be throwing bombs if UND has the invite yanked. As for my opinion....I could care less other than it would be fun to see the Griz have some competition in the Sky.

Care to provide links to your sources? The nickname issue will never go away as long as rival fan bases and beat writers continue to perpetuate the issue. Today is the last day for the Fighting Sioux nickname. Opponents should rejoice.

Care to provide links to your sources? The nickname issue will never go away as long as rival fan bases and beat writers continue to perpetuate the issue. Today is the last day for the Fighting Sioux nickname. Opponents should rejoice.

Thanks for reminding me. Better get my hoodie and hat on for the last official day of the name. (Also, for NDSU's name, "Bison", which I will not be using for three years, until I think of a replacement name!)

How is it possible the Big Sky can rescind its offer to UND? I thought everything was in place and the move was to be made beginning next year. I am sure scheduling has already been made for sports such as football. This change of mind would leave UND totally screwed for all sports except of course hockey.

They aren't rescinding the offer. As long as UND and the state goes along with the name change, it's good. However, that petition drive could be a problem. But, we will have to wait and see what happens.

They aren't rescinding the offer. As long as UND and the state goes along with the name change, it's good. However, that petition drive could be a problem. But, we will have to wait and see what happens.

The petition drive could be a real issue. And.....if they actually get the signatures to get the damn thing on the ballot, who know what could happen.

No I am not going to go back and put the effort forward to provide sources because I could care less whether you believe me or not. I am just telling you what I recall reading and hearing over the past few months......and I am hearing "Buyers Remorse".....

The petition drive could be a real issue. And.....if they actually get the signatures to get the damn thing on the ballot, who know what could happen.

Kelley, the SBoHE and the AG will all come out and say its unconstitutional. There is no way they will sit on the sideline and let anything interupt the transition.

You're right there, WyoBison (the last post I will probably ever use the Bison name...for in 2012 I will quit using it..just for fun!)

I have a feeling it will make the ballot. However, hopefully the voters will see it for what it is and vote it down. i do hope that the SL Tribe wins their suit against the arrogant NCAA!

Kelley, the SBoHE and the AG will all come out and say its unconstitutional. There is no way they will sit on the sideline and let anything interupt the transition.

The problem is that as I understand, one of the measures is a constitutional amendment. If that damn thing passes there could be no such declaration as it would be the constitution.

The problem is that as I understand, one of the measures is a constitutional amendment. If that damn thing passes there could be no such declaration as it would be the constitution.

Does it just need 50.1% to pass or is it a 2/3's thing.

No I am not going to go back and put the effort forward to provide sources because I could care less whether you believe me or not. I am just telling you what I recall reading and hearing over the past few months......and I am hearing "Buyers Remorse".....

Really!!! There is one article that says that the BSC should say no thanks to UND and you think that "buyers remorse?"

Really!!! There is one article that says that the BSC should say no thanks to UND and you think that "buyers remorse?"

Fullerton has said on several occasions that the nick name is an issue. The nickname is far from resolved. UND administration is wisely trying to get it dumped, but if the people were to vote to keep it, everyones hands would be tied......and that would be very detrimental to UND.

• Upvote 1

Fullerton has said on several occasions that the nick name is an issue. The nickname is far from resolved. UND administration is wisely trying to get it dumped, but if the people were to vote to keep it, everyones hands would be tied......and that would be very detrimental to UND.

You are exactly right. Signing these petitions and trying to keep the name will ultimately destroy UND athletics. Dont understand why people wont let the name go. THE NCAA does not care about anything other than what they say. You can vote 100 different laws into effect that keeps the name and the NCAA and the Big Sky does not care. Anyone signing these petitions are potentially destroying UND athletics and if you dont believe it then just sign the petitions and in 2-3 years you will believe it. And if that happens and UND sports are gone I only hope hockey goes down also. I will say again the NCAA does not give a s*it. It seems most dont really care about UND athletics as a whole. You have to have all the sports or none.

• Upvote 4

Does it just need 50.1% to pass or is it a 2/3's thing.

What it needs to pass is 50%, plus one vote. I'm just hoping this dies a nice, quiet death. Actually, I've been hoping that for a long time because we have bigger issues to deal with.

• Upvote 2

You are exactly right. Signing these petitions and trying to keep the name will ultimately destroy UND athletics. Dont understand why people wont let the name go. THE NCAA does not care about anything other than what they say. You can vote 100 different laws into effect that keeps the name and the NCAA and the Big Sky does not care. Anyone signing these petitions are potentially destroying UND athletics and if you dont believe it then just sign the petitions and in 2-3 years you will believe it. And if that happens and UND sports are gone I only hope hockey goes down also. I will say again the NCAA does not give a s*it. It seems most dont really care about UND athletics as a whole. You have to have all the sports or none.

It will not destroy UND athletics, c'mon you are reaching at best. I know you guys will jump all over me for this saying I am a hockey only person, but I am starting to think that the only people that want the name gone are football only people, and for what the Big Sky, Big Whoop. The hockey team has brought more national attention to UND then the football team ever thought about. I just do not get it, why so many are so willing to throw the name under the bus for a third rate conference. Just my opinion and I know you all think differently and no one is right or wrong, but it is the best nickname and logo and all of college sports, so lets get rid of it. That way the football team might gain attendance in 10 years when they will maybe beat someone.