SiouxSports.com Forum

Kleinsasser retiring?

UND92,96

That would be sweet if they got him the ball. Better yet would be if someone like Percy took a knee at going into the endzone and they gave Jimmy K. the ball to score.

Details are a little fuzzy but isn't it kind of ironic that his final game is against the Bears? Isn't that the game where he fumbled a couple times his rookie year and it sent the fanbase into a frenzy?

Wasn't Brooks Bollinger a star football, basketball and baseball player? I believe he was drafted late late late in the MLB draft, but still a great accomplishment.

Brooks Bollinger doesn't get enough credit for his accomplishments and for putting Grand Forks on the map. He lead Wisconsin to two Rose Bowls and had the chance to start for a couple of NFL teams. But because of the presence of that overrated stiff Jim Sorgi as Bollinger's back-up at Wisconsin, Brooks does not get the level of credit and recognition he deserves. Some know-it-alls (namely Justin Gaard on KFAN radio) think "Jim Sorgi should have been the starter when he was at Wisconsin." :angry: Sorgi has hung around the NFL for seven years by signing with teams that are secure in the QB position (Peyton Manning in Indianapolis and Eli Manning in New York), so he doesn't have to play and get the crap beat out of him. This web site named Sorgi the most overrated player from Wisconsin during the BCS era (some interesting names on that list btw):

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/915860-the-most-overrated-player-of-all-time-for-every-bcs-college-football-team#/articles/915860-the-most-overrated-player-of-all-time-for-every-bcs-college-football-team/page/68

Anyway, in closing, thanks for the memories Brooks and good luck with your high school coaching career.

• Upvote 1

That would be sweet if they got him the ball. Better yet would be if someone like Percy took a knee at going into the endzone and they gave Jimmy K. the ball to score.

Details are a little fuzzy but isn't it kind of ironic that his final game is against the Bears? Isn't that the game where he fumbled a couple times his rookie year and it sent the fanbase into a frenzy?

Final game plan has Kleinsasser's number on it

"No doubt about it," Frazier said. "I'm not letting out any secrets there. If we get down to the 1 [yard line], Chicago, you better stop number 40. We're going to find a way to try to get him into the end zone if we can."

Hopefully no one on the Bears' staff reads the STrib...

• Upvote 2

North Dakota student named Vikings scholarship winner during Minnesota-Chicago football game

The end of University of North Dakota alum Jim Kleinsasser’s professional football career might also mark the start of Jacob Greenmyer’s career in medicine.

Today in Minneapolis during the final game of the regular season between the Minnesota Vikings and Chicago Bears, Greenmyer, a 17-year-old senior from Stirum, N.D., who attends North Sargent High School in Gwinner, N.D., was named the recipient of the Vikings $10,000 academic scholarship to UND.

It was the final game for Kleinsasser, a native of Carrington, N.D., who recently announced his retirement after playing 13 years as a tight end for the Vikings. The former UND star and his wife, Christa, started the scholarship, which was presented to Greenmyer during pre-game activities at the Mall of America Field.

In his essay, Greenmyer, a cancer survivor, recounted his medical battles since age 9, how he overcame them and how those experiences led to the idea of pursuing a career in medicine.

“Reflecting on the early stages of my life and the virtues of hard work and perseverance I had based my ethics off of, I realized that the University of North Dakota was the only possibility for my college education,” he wrote. “It has a top tier medical program, and just as importantly I believe it embodies the same values and beliefs that are home grown in North Dakota, attributes I have used on the farm and to fight for my life.”

Attending the game with Greenmyer were his parents (Ron and Chelie), grandparents (Connie and Jerry Zetocha), two brothers (Andrew and Joseph) and his sister (Annah) who watched from a private suite.

Kleinsasser, was one of the best players ever to suit up for UND. Following a four-year career at the University from 1995-1998, he was drafted by the Vikings as a tight end in the second round of the NFL draft. He is the longest-tenured pro athlete in the Twin Cities and was inducted into North Dakota High School Hall of Fame in 2008.

The scholarship – intended for an incoming freshman in 2012 -- attracted more than 250 applicants from eight states and the United Kingdom.

Greenmyer was also selected based on his high school GPA and standardized test scores, as well as his personal statement highlighting his career goals, achievements, how he overcame adversity and what the opportunity to study at UND would mean to his future.

Kleinsasser participated in promotional television and radio spots to promote the scholarship. In them, he talked about his love for UND and how his years at the University have helped him in life.

Off the field, Kleinsasser has worked extensively with the Make-A-Wish Foundation, serving with his wife to host the annual fundraising ball in the Twin Cities. He participates annually in the Epilepsy Foundation Clothing Drive and the North Dakota Special Olympics Games.

There's a nice tribute video dedicated to Jimmy on vikings.com. Definitely worth a look.

Here's his presser...first one ever

http://www.vikings.c...66-20d132833cd8

Nice shirt! Also, Jimmy was on the FSN Gameday Show wearing a green t-shirt with a large Fighting Sioux logo on it. He sure did his best to promote UND on his final day as a Viking.