SiouxSports.com Forum

Penn St. scandal

UND92,96

If ever a program deserved the death penalty for what it allowed (that's you - Joe Paterno - by keeping everything in house), it is Penn State.

But since this crap is criminal rather than NCAA regulations, the NCAA won't even give Penn State a slap on the wrist.

Victims numbers double at

http://www.myfoxphil...ate-case-110811

Washington Post demands an end to Penn State football:

http://www.washingto...oiL0M_blog.html

Grand Jury Findings of Fact (warning: absolutely no children)

http://www.post-gaze...presentment.pdf

Too many universities are running like city-states and in the process end up with a wrong-headed approach to issues like this. Think about it: a graduate assistant saw this and went to the head football coach and not the police. Seriously? A coach and not the cops?

The grad assistant goes to the head coach, who goes to the AD, who goes to the VP of Business and Operations, who goes to the university president. Uh, guys ... that's a felony offense. It's spelled P-O-L, I-C-E. None of you go to the police when you learned of it? Worse? The VP in question oversees the campus police at PSU and he didn't report it to the campus police?

I have a simple solution: Campuses should keep their police operations (and keep paying for them); however, the chief of any campus police department should have a different title --> deputy chief of police in the city the campus resides in. Yes, I'm saying campus police should be a precinct of the city police they reside in. The campus cops would then have accountability not to a campus power structure but to the people in the city the campus is in.

As this case shows (and unfortunately others I'm sure we can come up with), campus structures aren't always as forthcoming as they should be. Make the campus cops accountable to the greater populace of the area through the city's chief of police.

Campuses are not their own little worlds. Quit treating them that way.

Too many universities are running like city-states and in the process end up with a wrong-headed approach to issues like this. Think about it: a graduate assistant saw this and went to the head football coach and not the police. Seriously? A coach and not the cops?

The grad assistant goes to the head coach, who goes to the AD, who goes to the VP of Business and Operations, who goes to the university president. Uh, guys ... that's a felony offense. It's spelled P-O-L, I-C-E. None of you go to the police when you learned of it? Worse? The VP in question oversees the campus police at PSU and he didn't report it to the campus police?

I have a simple solution: Campuses should keep their police operations (and keep paying for them); however, the chief of any campus police department should have a different title --> deputy chief of police in the city the campus resides in. Yes, I'm saying campus police should be a precinct of the city police they reside in. The campus cops would then have accountability not to a campus power structure but to the people in the city the campus is in.

As this case shows (and unfortunately others I'm sure we can come up with), campus structures aren't always as forthcoming as they should be. Make the campus cops accountable to the greater populace of the area through the city's chief of police.

Hard to believe that no one had the stones to get this stopped!

There is really no way for the NCAA to put the hammer down, so I hope the fallout and "punishment" for what happened at Penn State comes in the form of recruits rejecting the school and the losses piling up over the next few years. It's what PSU deserves for the cover up of these disgusting crimes.

There is really no way for the NCAA to put the hammer down, ...

This isn't an NCAA issue.

This is a pattern of felonies and a conspiracy to cover up the felonies.

The Pennsylvania Attorney General* should start showing up with cops and 'cuffs and start the perp-walks.

*Linda L. Kelly is a graduate of the University of Pittsburgh and the Duquesne University School of Law. ... The Penn AG is a Pitt Panther, not a PSU? Why'd I just smirk an evil little smirk? ;)

I know a number of Penn State alums, and they are mortified that Paterno effectively turned a blind eye to the situation. I had a great deal of respect for Paterno, and the way he ran his program, but sometimes just doing the bare, legal minimum just doesn't cut it.

The sad part about this is that it seems that everyone is so focused on Paterno that it seems he is getting all the blame because he is who he is. I do not support what Paterno did in any way and I think he should have been canned for his part. I just hope the real scumbag Sandusky gets what all of us hope he does. What a sick sick man.

I wonder what types of sanctions (if any) Penn state will suffer from the NCAA and the Big 10? If the NCAA would consider suspending or excluding a school from its organization over academic, financial, or recruitment violations, what would they do to an institution for covering for a serial child molester and made it possible for more children to be sexually assualted?

I wonder what types of sanctions (if any) Penn state will suffer from the NCAA and the Big 10? If the NCAA would consider suspending or excluding a school from its organization over academic, financial, or recruitment violations, what would they do to an institution for covering for a serial child molester and made it possible for more children to be sexually assualted?

Academic, financial, or recruitment violations are in the NCAA rules book. The NCAA rule book doesn't cover state felonies like raping minors. However, the board that governs PSU is in full "CYA" mode with letting Paterno and the school president go and I'm sure that's an attempt at a public show that they do retain "institutional control".

What PSU should be afraid of from the NCAA is a "review" (spelled: inquisition) of all of their athletic operations under the premise that if they could cover up the Sandusky problem for 20 years what else have they been able to cover up?