SiouxSports.com Forum

Penn St. scandal

UND92,96

Maybe I am misunderstanding something but students are rioting because Peterno was fired for covering up child molestation?

What did Coach Mussman say about 18-23 year old kids?

But seriously, what do most college students that age not have? Kids.

Narcissistic young adults who only care abut how this scandal is impacting their weekend.

I'm not saying this is even a possibility, but it did cross my mind. What if this would somehow affect their startup of the D-1 hockey program? Wouldn't that be interesting?

I had thought of that possibility, if the Big Ten were to vote to have Penn State removed from their conference it would have a direct impact on Big Ten hockey.

I'm not saying this is even a possibility, but it did cross my mind. What if this would somehow affect their startup of the D-1 hockey program? Wouldn't that be interesting?

Penn State Hockey: We're not the guys who rape ten-year-old boys, but they're next door.

• Upvote 1

What did Coach Mussman say about 18-23 year old kids?

But seriously, what do most college students that age not have? Kids. They are able to rationalize their selfish outrage.

Yep, I was just thinking the same thing. Maybe it takes being a parent to understand the level of "wrong" here. I have my own idea of what should happen to people who do things like this, and it involves a rusty blade, but I shall say no more.

I had thought of that possibility, if the Big Ten were to vote to have Penn State removed from their conference it would have a direct impact on Big Ten hockey.

Won't happen. Too much money involved, unless they can get Notre Dame to join immediately and stay at 12 teams.

Back in 1999, when the obvious heir apparent to Joe Paterno, is told he won't be the next head football coach at PSU, why didn't folks start digging into ... "Why?"

If the rumors are true--and sadly most of them seem to be in this case--this is going to get even worse for Penn St. once all the dots are connected regarding Sandusky's "retirement".

Narcissistic young adults who only care abut how this scandal is impacting their weekend.

And the "Occupy-Whatever" types wonder why their degrees in Sociology and Feminist Poetry don't land them a job that will pay their six figure student loans, buy them a new car and pay the rent on a trendy studio apartment, while still having enough left over for citrus infused braised scallops and a nice Pinot Gris.

• Upvote 1

http://rivals.yahoo....ug=ycn-10407023

Apparently, it may get worse.

I was just reading that.

If that has any truth, the death penalty for their program isn't good enough. But, I would imagine there are law firms sniffing around for those former children willing to work on a contingency basis. If they are successful, especially if this is true, Penn State will be lucky to get to keep intramural sports on their campus.

I was just reading that.

If that has any truth, the death penalty for their program isn't good enough. But, I would imagine there are law firms sniffing around for those former children willing to work on a contingency basis. If they are successful, especially if this is true, Penn State will be lucky to get to keep intramural sports on their campus.

I was wondering what the potential financial ramifications could be for university if the expected flood of lawsuits happen, but I believe sovereign immunity may shield the university and the state from liability in these cases. Somebody else can chime in on that, but there are certain exceptions to the doctrine, and under Pennsylvania law I don't believe this would be a situation which would fall under one of the exceptions. I could be wrong though, as this is certainly not my area of expertise.

I was wondering what the potential financial ramifications could be for university if the expected flood of lawsuits happen, but I believe sovereign immunity may shield the university and the state from liability in these cases. Somebody else can chime in on that, but there are certain exceptions to the doctrine, and under Pennsylvania law I don't believe this would be a situation which would fall under one of the exceptions. I could be wrong though, as this is certainly not my area of expertise.

I wonder if their athletic department is considered separate? I have no idea, just wondering.

I wonder if their athletic department is considered separate? I have no idea, just wondering.

I don't think so. However, I believe JoePa, the a.d., and assorted administrators could probably be subject to individual liability. And presumably JoePa in particular has very deep pockets.

http://rivals.yahoo....ug=ycn-10407023

Apparently, it may get worse.

Same story, different (direct) source: http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/jerry-sandusky-rumored-to-have-been-pimping-out-young-boys-to-rich-donors-says-mark-madden.html

If this is true they'll be building the "Jerry Sandusky Penn State" wing onto Hell for all these people.

Back in 1999, when the obvious heir apparent to Joe Paterno, is told he won't be the next head football coach at PSU, why didn't folks start digging into ... "Why?"

If the rumors are true--and sadly most of them seem to be in this case--this is going to get even worse for Penn St. once all the dots are connected regarding Sandusky's "retirement".

I think we may find the answer to this question very undigestable.

From my previous link:

"The other thing I think that may eventually become uncovered, and I talked about this in my original article back in April, is that I think they'll find out that Jerry Sandusky was told that he had to retire in exchange for a cover-up," (Mark) Madden said. "If you look at the timeline, that makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

"My opinion is when Sandusky quit, everybody knew -- not just at Penn State," Madden added. "I think it was a very poorly kept secret about college football in general, and that is why he never coached in college football again and retired at the relatively young age of 55. [That's] young for a coach, certainly."

And if this really is found to be looped into this whole mess ...

Tough as nails DA never charged Sandusky: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/133615093.html

And then is found dead: http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/25/case-of-missing-pa-district-attorney-ray-gricar-baffles-police/

If I were Penn State, I'd be more worried about the feds taking a good look at them from a criminal perspective. IIRC exploitation and trafficking of minors is a federal offense, and if the rumors of some prostitution activity are plausible and you have used means of interstate commerce such as phone calls, emails, etc., then you have a predicate for RICO charges. Whatever immunity Penn State and certain officials may enjoy under state law may not mean squat to the US Attorney General if he/she really gets going. The fact the Dept of Education is already investigating probably means that "the camel's nose is under the tent".