SiouxSports.com Forum

UC Davis

bincitysioux

UC Davis is 3-6 on the year and 1-2 in the GWC.

Their wins are against Cal Poly, TX-San Antonion, and non-scholarship San Diego.

Their losses are to Arizona St., Montana St., Hawaii, South Dakota, Southern Utah, and DII Humboldt St.

Davis isn't a good match-up for North Dakota. Looks like they are alot like SUU. They pass alot and run very little.

A few key stats:

-UC Davis is last in the GWC on scoring while UND is 1st in scoring defense

-Davis is 4th in total offense while UND is 1st in total defense

-The Aggies are last in the league in rushing, but they also have the fewest attempts. They only average 2.9 yards per run

-Davis gives up 160 yards rushing while UND averages 166 per game

-Davis throws for 238 yds per game, 2nd in the GWC. UND gives up 259 pass yards per game, 4th in the league.

-UND is 2nd in the conference in sacks while Davis is 4th in sacks against.

-Davis is last in the league in sacks, while UND 1st in sacks against.

-Davis is the most penalized team in the GWC

-Davis is -1 on turnovers for the year, while UND is +4

A few things look in their favor, a few things look in our favor. I think for North Dakota to be successful, they have to not turn the ball over, establish the run (as usual), and get to the QB. If Davis' QB has time to sit in the pocket, he'll burn Coach Kelling's secondary all day long. Their pass defense isn't stellar either, so hopefully Goska can get a few early down field completions to keep them from selling out to stop the run.

Ags started the season off slow, but played well agasint Poly. Also realize that the Ags have played the toughest schedule in the GWC. If the team shows up that played Poly, watch out. If the team shows up that played SUU, well, let's just hope that team does not show up. How many Fighting Sioux fans will make the trip out west?

I agree wholeheartedly with Agalum. We dominated Poly for most of the game last week. We had an offensive PI take away a TD that would have made it 28-3 late in the 3Q (we missed a FG on the drive), and had a pick-6 called back on a questionable personal foul (blocking the QB on the return) that would have made it 31-10 late in the 4Q. Davis slowed Poly's strong run game, holding them to nearly 100 yards below their average. We established a run, which opened up the passing lanes. We played pretty well vs. South Dakota, losing 27-24 on the road DESPITE 5 turnovers. against, a solid run game opened up the passing game, and we bottled up their offense except for short drives after turnovers. if they play fast, hard and smart like those two game (well, withOUT the turnovers!), I think Davis wins a close one. If they lose focus on a game sandwiched between two rivalry games (Poly and Sac), its gonna be a sad Senior game.

Hope to see some Sioux fans out there. You've had good showings in the past two trips, with many california transplants. weather should be okay, maybe some showers, but, nothing too bad.

Hopefully there's a good contingent of Sioux fans this weekend. I won't be making it this time, but I did in 2009 and it was a blast. Aggie Stadium is a beautiful venue, and of the handful of roadtrips I've made over the years, the UC Davis fans were the friendliest bunch I've come across.........

But I do hope that the Aggie team that beat Cal Poly doesn't show up................... ;)

Radio and gametracker will be the only media available for the game as far as I know. Smoggy asked about drinking and eating. Once in the stadium, the only thing you will be drinking is a pepsi. Tailgates will be happening, and the AggieSportsTalk.com crowd will be tailgating on the north east corner from the stadium. Stop on by. In town, the Davis Graduate is the main local sports bar. But if you are coming all the way from ND, you need to have a decent Mexican meal, which you will not find in Davis. Go to Emmas Taco House in West Sacramento and order the Senator Jack Schader shredded beef Quisadilla. I promise you will not be disappointed, and their blended Margs are the best. Davis has an excellent variety of various other ethnic foods. I like Sophia's Thai kitchen for Thai food. Nearby Dixon has a Cattlemans if you want red meat. Several good sushi places in Davis. Most visiting teams that organize a tailgate have it in lot 30 which is just north of the stadium. Costs $6 to park there. If you need more local info post and I am sure one of us will respond.

Right now forecast is 10% chance of precipitation, which for us means slight chance of rain. No snow to worry about. You guys will likely be in shorts and tank tops and we will be bundled up!

Question for Davis fans: Why has your program floundered after the move up from DI?

I ask that with all due respect. In DII, UCDavis did fantastically well in spite of zero / nada / none scholarships.

Now at the FCS level, with 63 scholarships and a new facility, the Aggies are just plain mediocre.

Why isn't UCDavis better? Honestly, when your move up to DI was first announced, I thought your program would quickly challenge Montana for western FCS supremacy. That simply hasn't happened. What is holding back the Aggie program?

Question for Davis fans: Why has your program floundered after the move up from DI?

I ask that with all due respect. In DII, UCDavis did fantastically well in spite of zero / nada / none scholarships.

Now at the FCS level, with 63 scholarships and a new facility, the Aggies are just plain mediocre.

Why isn't UCDavis better? Honestly, when your move up to DI was first announced, I thought your program would quickly challenge Montana for western FCS supremacy. That simply hasn't happened. What is holding back the Aggie program?

Million dollar question. If you go over to our board, there is a thread "fire Biggs" who is the coach. If you read through that, you will see many different opinions. My take is that it is a multifaceted problem including funding, who we can recruit based on very rigorous academic standards, and coaching just off the top of my head. Take a look at that thread for more info, and chime in on our ND thread. I have always liked your fans by the way, as long as we beat you all!

UC Davis played as a team in D2. Sometimes it feels like we're not a team but a bunch of individuals now. I think it all starts with coaching - attitude, motivation, conditioning, playbook. We have the people to get the job done - witness Cal Poly game, but not the consistency - as at SUU. The game this weekend really rests upon which Davis team shows up and even we can't predict that. You are sandwiched in between Cal Poly and Sac State so that may be in your favor. All in all, at least we're not Northern Colorado.

• Upvote 1

UC Davis played as a team in D2. Sometimes it feels like we're not a team but a bunch of individuals now. I think it all starts with coaching - attitude, motivation, conditioning, playbook. We have the people to get the job done - witness Cal Poly game, but not the consistency - as at SUU. The game this weekend really rests upon which Davis team shows up and even we can't predict that. You are sandwiched in between Cal Poly and Sac State so that may be in your favor. All in all, at least we're not Northern Colorado.

Whatever your team does this weekend, just don't forget about Sac St............................... ;)

UC Davis UND played as a team in D2. ... I think it all starts with coaching - attitude, motivation, conditioning, playbook. We have the people to get the job done - witness Cal Poly SUU game, but not the consistency - as at SUU Cal Poly. The game this weekend really rests upon which Davis UND team shows up and even we can't predict that.

Exchange Cal Poly and SUU and you have a pretty good summary of the UND season in this part of GoAgs' post. Which team shows up for the Sioux this weekend? The team that played SUU or the team that played SF? UND has the people to get the job done but it all starts with the coaching.

there is much discussion going on over this topic both on our message boards and on campus. the campus commissioned a study of the overall athletic department ('The Dempsey Report', chaired by a former NCAA president); one of the conclusions was that the football program, as currently structured is not in a good position to succeed at this level. we only fully funded scholarships a couple years back, and the results appear to be showing up now (we have alot of RFr and Soph's playing). We've been trying to run a D1 program the same way we did the D2 program. the campus has been reluctant to allow special admits, which limits the recruiting pool; we rarely get JC or D1 transfers; our coaches are also teachers; we have way too many sports for the funding we get; etc.

i don't think these guys all the sudden forgot how to coach; we've had an influx of new blood on the coaching staff, several with high-level D1 experience. I'm hoping that, coupled with the recent better recruiting classes and some changes in the 'business model' of the football/atheletic program will result in success soon.

i will point out that we have floundered to 3 straight wins over UND. just saying...

...also, for visitors, i like Sudwerk's after the game. Brewery with decent food. if anyone is here tonight, there's a country concert at the Grad. Christian Kane, who plays the 'tough guy' on the TV show "Leverage".

This will probably spark some discussion, but how in the heck did NDSU get to #1 in the FCS when UC Davis, South Dakota State and Northern Colorado moved up about the same time and haven't done so well? They were all good D2 teams. Even Cal Poly hasn't gotten close to being #1. I'm sure you have more insight than we do on the Pacific Coast. Is it coaching, funding or what?

This will probably spark some discussion, but how in the heck did NDSU get to #1 in the FCS when UC Davis, South Dakota State and Northern Colorado moved up about the same time and haven't done so well? They were all good D2 teams. Even Cal Poly hasn't gotten close to being #1. I'm sure you have more insight than we do on the Pacific Coast. Is it coaching, funding or what?

I will say that NDSU has a very good football coach and they also make funding the sport there their top priority. Northern Colorado baffles me. They were very good for the longest time in the NCC, but have been pitiful since moving up. SDSU has actually been surprisingly decent in football since moving up, something they never were in DII.

All in all, I'm not shocked that NDSU has a good football program at the DI level. Because they always had a good football program at the DII level.

NDSU was much more successful at D2 than us; they won a couple national championships and lost a few others. Our emphasis on D1 football has been sub-par, in my opinion. Heck, we had a major fundraising project two years ago among us former players that resulted in $125k/year pledge for 5 years.....which almost offset the cutback in funding from the university.

UNC surprises me also; again, that's a program that had more success than us at DII and seemed well positioned to be successful at FCS.