SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

I thought UTEP would have gone to the MWC last year. MWC needs access to Texas recruiting grounds. They would help fill the void left by TCU. I'm a bit of a BYU fan, and they just need to suck it up and get back into a conference. Returning to the MWC, along with UTEP would give them 14. On the other hand though, regarding BYU, if ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU, is willing to put 6 or 7 Cougar football games on TV every year, and they can be in the WCC with Gonzaga, maybe going independent was a smart move.

BYU hates the idea of joining a conference with Utah State. BYU fought against Utah St from gaining membership in the old days.

Gonzaga and Wichita St may have interest as MWC non-football members to fill out Hawaii football-only slot.

Sounds like an interesting read: link?

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:03 PM

Good luck to the Bison while they entertain the MidCon officials. Seems like they aren't holding back anything to impress their guests. Personally, I really don't think NDSU fans have anything to worry about, as NDSU is in the MidCon if NDSU chooses to accept.

Naturally that statement brought out bison fans that said you couldn't be so sure. I don't get second guessed nearly so much on national realignment board, but am targeted by all kinds of bison fans.

When FCS playoff are done, we'll see a lot more action on FCS to FBS moves.

Naturally that statement brought out bison fans that said you couldn't be so sure. I don't get second guessed nearly so much on national realignment board, but am targeted by all kinds of bison fans.

When FCS playoff are done, we'll see a lot more action on FCS to FBS moves.

So DI schools that play FCS football will be scrambling to move to DI FBS football and pay another 4 million a year so . . . the Top 5 leagues can leave them behind in football, which you say will also happen? I sure wish you would tell me how that's a good idea, and how playing in a crappy FBS league that is also crappy in Basketball would help if the Top Leagues moved away for all sports.. So, will DI basketball conferences get kicked out of the top level? Is that what you are saying? An the only leagues that will be saved are the ones with FBS football? So the Sunbelt will be at the top level for BB, but the MVC won't? What about the Big East, will they be scrammbling to start fooball because FBS football is the golden ticket? Trying to understand your circular logic, or at least be able to call BS when you starting claiming again to have called every move.

• 3 weeks later...

Missouri State students enacted an additional fee to pay for expansion of football to a 21,000 stadium, + new track/field, soccer, lacrosse, field hockey surfaces. Missouri State is believed to have an open bid to the Sunbelt and the MAC may be interested. If Missouri State leaves the MVC, it would open up a football slot in that conference. The leading contender would be Murray St, which can't move unless is gets a football slot. Missouri State and Wichita State are believed not to be happy with the Illinois bent toward expansion. Wichita St is quietly checking with the MWC, AAC, Big East to find a slot.

If Missouri St gained Sunbelt admission, they would be eligible for an extra $1 million FBS playoff payment.

http://www.missouristatebears.com/genrel/101813aaa.html

Coincidentally, NMSU announced that it may offer mens soccer, something the WAC badly needs. It also stated that is in the WAC for the long-haul, as the Sun Belt does not have interest in NMSU all sports. The WAC looks to add two.

http://crimsonaggiec...ews-102113.html

Will UND be stuck in FCS while our peers move to FBS because of the Alerus?

It really has to be only a matter of time before Montana moves up, followed by Montana state, then maybe NDSU.

How many teams have moved to FBS or announced they were moving since UND announced they were moving to FCS?

The Alerus attendance capacity is probably the most detrimental thing to UND athletics going forward. :(

It really has to be only a matter of time before Montana moves up, followed by Montana state, then maybe NDSU.

How many teams have moved to FBS or announced they were moving since UND announced they were moving to FCS?

The Alerus attendance capacity is probably the most detrimental thing to UND athletics going forward. :sad:

Texas St

UTSA

Charlotte

UMass

ODU

Ga State

Ga Southern

Soon:

JMU

Delaware

Mo St

Want to:

Lamar

EKU

Liberty

Jacksonville St

Sam Houston St

The Alerus attendance capacity is probably the most detrimental thing to UND athletics going forward. :sad:

Gene Taylor was quoted on radio saying NDSU will NOT move up in the current FBS because he doesn't want to play in a no-name bowl which every team that moves up will most likely play in, plus NDSU is in a bad situation as is Montana and Montana State if they move up due to geography. The MAC and Sun Belt is their only options for NDSU and the SB and MWC for the Montanas. I don't think the SB will take NDSU and as for the MAC, I doubt it since NDSU wouldn't have the funds especially for the non-football sports to be competitive. As for the MWC they may take the Montana's (they fit in the footprint), but without the WAC going FBS up here will be tough.

Gene Taylor was quoted on radio saying NDSU will NOT move up in the current FBS because he doesn't want to play in a no-name bowl which every team that moves up will most likely play in, plus NDSU is in a bad situation as is Montana and Montana State if they move up due to geography. The MAC and Sun Belt is their only options for NDSU and the SB and MWC for the Montanas. I don't think the SB will take NDSU and as for the MAC, I doubt it since NDSU wouldn't have the funds especially for the non-football sports to be competitive. As for the MWC they may take the Montana's (they fit in the footprint), but without the WAC going FBS up here will be tough.

In other words, NDSU cant move to FBS because nobody wants them.

• Upvote 1

Demographics of this region are not in any university's favor (UxD, xDSU, UMt, MtSU).

If you're the MAC, you take something east, with more television sets. If you're the Sun Belt you surely don't take a northern tier school with few TV sets.

• 2 weeks later...

Over on the Jack board, they are saying that 4 teams are just begging to get in the Summit. One of them UND. Guess were going to drop football. The other teams are Eastern Illinois (they have an exit fee of nearly $1 from the OVC), NMSU (they are talking adding men's soccer to help the WAC), ORU (exit fees and they are happy to get out of the Summit), UALR (old rumor when the Summit still had Centenery and ORU and UMKC). The four teams are almost certainly DII teams (like Lindenwood, S Ind, maybe Bellarmine) that won't help their baseball situation for years. The Summit is a bottom feeding league so getting a Horizon team is just absurd. Oakland left for their.

For todays chuckle: http://sdsufans.com/...Wednesday/page2 Jack fans are the most clueless in the NCAA about realignment. Somehow Sioux Falls is attractive to teams. :lol:

• Upvote 1

Over on the Jack board, they are saying that 4 teams are just begging to get in the Summit. One of them UND. Guess were going to drop football. The other teams are Eastern Illinois (they have an exit fee of nearly $1 from the OVC), NMSU (they are talking adding men's soccer to help the WAC), ORU (exit fees and they are happy to get out of the Summit), UALR (old rumor when the Summit still had Centenery and ORU and UMKC). The four teams are almost certainly DII teams (like Lindenwood, S Ind, maybe Bellarmine) that won't help their baseball situation for years. The Summit is a bottom feeding league so getting a Horizon team is just absurd. Oakland left for their.

For todays chuckle: http://sdsufans.com/...Wednesday/page2 Jack fans are the most clueless in the NCAA about realignment. Somehow Sioux Falls is attractive to teams. :lol:

If we ever decided to drop FB (I don't see it happening), this would be a logical scenario for UND. The rest of this is pure garbage. And I thought NDSU fans were delusional.

Once the SL loses their autobid the Dakota teams will be calling (begging) UND to either join the SL or to join the Big Sky.

Douple already has been calling UND. He knows they are in trouble with baseball and every baseball coach in the Summit League wants UND in for obvious reasons. But, it would have to be for the whole package and he cannot deliver that alone.

If Douple can guarantee UND a place in the MVFC would UND go for it? Kinda like what USD got for a deal. With UND athletics in the red could this direction be more realistic?

If Douple can guarantee UND a place in the MVFC would UND go for it? Kinda like what USD got for a deal. With UND athletics in the red could this direction be more realistic?

A one year anomaly on numbers that mean nothing when just looking at the bottom line with no context. Was there any one-time large expenses last year like, oh maybe new turf or something that could have possibly skewed that number?

• Upvote 1

Douple already has been calling UND. He knows they are in trouble with baseball and every baseball coach in the Summit League wants UND in for obvious reasons.

It doesn't really make sense for UND to keep baseball in the WAC if affiliate status is offered by the Slummit. Perhaps a promise that Dufus will never contact UND himself would encourage Kelley to allow the move.

But, it would have to be for the whole package and he cannot deliver that alone.

At this point, I prefer the BSC over the summit. Circumstances may change my opinion in the future, but I think it's a good fit and has great potential right now.

• Upvote 1

A one year anomaly on numbers that mean nothing when just looking at the bottom line with no context. Was there any one-time large expenses last year like, oh maybe new turf or something that could have possibly skewed that number?

I feel like every athletic team at UND needed to buy new uniforms and equipment last year for some reason too......