SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

32 minutes ago, BisonCardinal said:

SV, if UMKC rejoins the Summit, does that change your thinking at all on the Dakota/Montana/Idaho conference?  

I asked this earlier in this thread, but you didn't reply.  Why does your DMI conference have to go FBS?  Wouldn't staying FCS also work?

Unrelated to your question but your post brought this up.  What’s the Summits plan to get to 10 here?

42 minutes ago, BisonCardinal said:

SV, if UMKC rejoins the Summit, does that change your thinking at all on the Dakota/Montana/Idaho conference?  

I asked this earlier in this thread, but you didn't reply.  Why does your DMI conference have to go FBS?  Wouldn't staying FCS also work?

Whatever UMKC does won't effect the Summit.

Idaho only joined the Big Sky because it couldnt get regional schools to its liking in the WAC.  Idaho has stated that they need a regional conference to make FBS a go.  Believe that holds for the Montana's too.  CUSA needs a smaller conference for fbs to be economical.  

Staying FCS would work but there is much less incentive for Idaho or the Montana's to move so there wouldn't be enough teams.  W Illinois simply doesnt do it.

The discovery of this old link has gotten some people in a tissy.  IUPUI in the link works as well.

http://www.thesummitleague.org/members/umkc/index

UMKC if it starts football would make more sense going to Texas. Not saying it will happen.

22 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Unrelated to your question but your post brought this up.  What’s the Summits plan to get to 10 here?

Lose IPFW to the Horizon and ORU to the WAC and then Idaho, the Montanas and EWU move over.  W Illinois goes to the OVC.

Because the Summit hasn't added a transitional school five years ago, that they have a plan going forward grabbing Big Sky schools.

Presidents are much more aware of realignment movements years before they happen.  So that they know if things are going according to their plan.  Maryland and Rutgers' moves came out of the blue, which caused a lot of other movement that was earlier than expected.

7 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The discovery of this old link has gotten some people in a tissy.  IUPUI in the link works as well.

UMKC if it starts football would make more sense going to Texas. Not saying it wi'll happen.

http://www.thesummitleague.org/members/oakland/index

So does Oakland.  It doesn't mean anything other than the pages still exist but aren't in the navigation anymore.  

You know what's going to get people in a tissy?  UND's women's hockey page is still on the WCHA site!!!! http://www.wcha.com/women/und/index.php

It means nothing, just like everything else you magically read into the types of bowel movements the president of a school has that week.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Lose IPFW to the Horizon and ORU to the WAC and then Idaho, the Montanas and EWU move over.  W Illinois goes to the OVC.

Because the Summit hasn't added a transitional school five years ago, that they have a plan going forward grabbing Big Sky schools.

Presidents are much more aware of realignment movements years before they happen.  So that they know if things are going according to their plan.  Maryland and Rutgers' moves came out of the blue, which caused a lot of other movement that was earlier than expected.

Again, I believe you give university presidents way more credit than they deserve.  Things are much more "fly by the seat of their pants" than they'll ever admit.

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Again, I believe you give university presidents way more credit than they deserve.  Things are much more "fly by the seat of their pants" than they'll ever admit.

Think they have contingency plans for a contingency.  Losing an autobid could cost them jobs, money and give them much dishonor. 

Chapman tried to barge his way into the Big Sky because he knew that the Montanas  longed for flagship schools nearby after Nevada, Idaho and Boise st left.  That situation hasnt changed.  Their s a natural grouping of northern tier schools that is just crying out now to happen.

I think UMKC coming back is realistic.  UNO, I don't see going anywhere with Denver and UND as Summit members.  Fort Wayne will probably go to Horizon.  I also think WIU stays put.

So now the Summit puts full court press on U of Northern Colorado.  I'm really not too concerned with baseball compliance as the Summit just coming up with a "plan" will satisfy the NCAA for a couple years, but getting UNC would also help with Summit football, if that happens.

Although SV's DMI conference has its merits, I just don't see it happening primarily because of non-revenue sports.  Hard to justify flying all those sports west, when busing south is a lot cheaper.

5 minutes ago, BisonCardinal said:

I think UMKC coming back is realistic.  UNO, I don't see going anywhere with Denver and UND as Summit members.  Fort Wayne will probably go to Horizon.  I also think WIU stays put.

So now the Summit puts full court press on U of Northern Colorado.  I'm really not too concerned with baseball compliance as the Summit just coming up with a "plan" will satisfy the NCAA for a couple years, but getting UNC would also help with Summit football, if that happens.

Although SV's DMI conference has its merits, I just don't see it happening primarily because of non-revenue sports.  Hard to justify flying all those sports west, when busing south is a lot cheaper.

The Montanas dont have many non-revenue teams that need to fly:  women's soccer and softball and tennis.  The academic side is much more important to the Presidents. This is not HS leagues ware talking about.

ORU probably used the Summit as a rest stop before ccontinuing on to the WAC.  If Incarnate Word goes Fbs, that Southland schools like Sam Houston St will follow and that would be a nice league for ORU and UMKC.

17 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The Montanas dont have many non-revenue teams that need to fly:  women's soccer and softball and tennis.  The academic side is much more important to the Presidents. This is not HS leagues ware talking about.

ORU probably used the Summit as a rest stop before ccontinuing on to the WAC.  If Incarnate Word goes Fbs, that Southland schools like Sam Houston St will follow and that would be a nice league for ORU and UMKC.

If the ORU president cares about academic affiliation, why would he want to go to the WAC?

22 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

What about cross country (both), track and field (both), golf (both) and volleyball (w)?

11 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

If the ORU president cares about academic affiliation, why would he want to go to the WAC?

The major reason thad ORU is DI is for awareness and student recruiting.  The WAC with Texas schools fits the ORU pentecostalistic market much better.

The Summit didn't include ORU for their academic prowess, as just like WIU, they were a warm body.

2 hours ago, southpaw said:

http://www.thesummitleague.org/members/oakland/index

So does Oakland.  It doesn't mean anything other than the pages still exist but aren't in the navigation anymore.  

You know what's going to get people in a tissy?  UND's women's hockey page is still on the WCHA site!!!! http://www.wcha.com/women/und/index.php

It means nothing, just like everything else you magically read into the types of bowel movements the president of a school has that week.

My whole point was it didn't mean a thing, but some boards exclaim to the world that UMKC is going to the Summit.  This confirms that you really are dense.  How un-PC of me.  :silly:

6 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Whatever UMKC does won't effect the Summit.

Idaho only joined the Big Sky because it couldnt get regional schools to its liking in the WAC.  Idaho has stated that they need a regional conference to make FBS a go.  Believe that holds for the Montana's too.  CUSA needs a smaller conference for fbs to be economical.  

Staying FCS would work but there is much less incentive for Idaho or the Montana's to move so there wouldn't be enough teams.  W Illinois simply doesnt do it.

UMKC if it starts football would make more sense going to Texas. Not saying it will happen.

Idaho shouldn't be in the FBS, and Idaho wishes they were in the Mountain West.

52 minutes ago, BisonCardinal said:

Screw the SEC.  SV talks about aligning with like-minded institutions.  Lets skip the SDSU, MSU and Idaho talk, small potatoes.  Lets shoot for the land grants of Iowa State, Kansas State and Oklahoma State.  Big 12 here we come.  We're practically family now with wrestling. :)

If thats the case, Big 10 here we come. We used to be conference mates with Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Michigan State. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Officially. South Carolina-Upstate moves to the Big South next year.    Liberty probably move to the Atlantic Sun.  Will be interesting if other FCS schools like E Kentucky, Jacksonville St, JMU, Delaware, Stony Brook and Albany that have wanted FBS move too.  The A Sun may just be a future FBS league.  Lipscomb would move to the OVC and NJIT to the America East if it happens.

Kennesaw St has always intended to be FBS and there is talk North Florida and FGCU also want the option.  A Florida presence is critical for recruiting.  FCS would take a major hit.

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20171115/usc-upstate-moving-to-big-south-conference

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Officially. South Carolina-Upstate moves to the Big South next year.    Liberty probably move to the Atlantic Sun.  Will be interesting if other FCS schools like E Kentucky, Jacksonville St, JMU, Delaware, Stony Brook and Albany that have wanted FBS move too.  The A Sun may just be a future FBS league.  Lipscomb would move to the OVC and NJIT to the America East if it happens.

Kennesaw St has always intended to be FBS and there is talk North Florida and FGCU also want the option.  A Florida presence is critical for recruiting.  FCS would take a major hit.

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20171115/usc-upstate-moving-to-big-south-conference

They don't have a football team.

7 hours ago, cberkas said:

They don't have a football team.

Big South football is on life support.  Kennesaw St wants to go bigger.  Presbyterian College wants to go non-scholarship. The Big South needs to sponsor a non scholarship league and get Stetson, Jacksonville, Davidson and Morehead St fb aboard.  Then maybe Upstate takes the plunge, as Upstate isn't a big public school, but fb is so important down here.

The A Sun could be an FBS league before this is over, as E Kentucky and Jacksonville St could have a conference to go to.  JMU, Delaware, Stony Brook, and Albany could follow and then FCS would be just a shell of its former self.