SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

We won 5 NCAA titles in that "rusting hulk", the last one in 2000. Heck, we won two in the "The Barn" (a WPA project from the 1930's). We have won exactly ONE in the new REA. I remember in the years before the new REA, Gopher fans yammering on and on about how great Mariucci Arena was and how it was better than a bunch of NHL arenas and what a dump we were playing in. Yet, we won most of the recruiting battles against them from 1996 to 2001.

You make way too many assumptions, Mr. SiouxVolley.

What recruiting battles "wins" are you talking about?  I'm having a hard time coming up with any.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tnt said:

Agree we held our own in the old building, but not so sure we won most recruiting battles against Minnesota during those years.

2 hours ago, Rick said:

What recruiting battles "wins" are you talking about?  I'm having a hard time coming up with any.

Brad DeFauw, Peter Armbrust, Bryan Lundbohm and Zach Parise (who I believe committed in 2001) come to mind. The Gophers did not have a good record against us during that time period either. They took quite a few butt-kickings from us in that "rusting hulk" of an arena from 1996-2001.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Brad DeFauw, Peter Armbrust, Bryan Lundbohm and Zach Parise (who I believe committed in 2001) come to mind. The Gophers did not have a good record against us during that time period either. They took quite a few butt-kickings from us in that "rusting hulk" of an arena from 1996-2001.

I believe Parise's recruiting trip was during the opening night of the new Ralph. 

4 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Parise committed on opening night of The Ralph.  While DeFauw & Armbrust were good players for the Sioux, it's quite a stretch to say we won a recruiting battle to get them.  Bryan Lundbolm's dad played for the Sioux and the Gophers would have really liked to get him but there was no question of where he was going.  If you want to count "almost wins", we almost won a recruiting battle for Keith Ballard.  He even told Blaiser he was coming to UND and then at the last minute went with the Gophers. 

Yes, they took quite a few butt-kickings from us in the old Ralph but I can't think of one recruiting battle that we won until Ralph gave UND the new arena.  About the only one I can think of is Karl Goehring.  But it was the Wooger who pretty much handed Karl to us with the way he recruited him.

• Upvote 2

Here's a week old article on James Madison where their coach Matt Houston says that going FBS for JMU is legitimate talk.  They don't need a conference now to do it, as their admin hated the idea of the Sun Belt. If they stayed CAA except for fb, their admin would probably be very satisfied as it would set them up to later get in CUSA, the MAC or even the AAC.  They might need more regional independent schools like Liberty and UMASS to make an independent schedule though.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/08/15/james-madison-repeat-expectations-matt-houston/560269001/

• 4 weeks later...

This is 40 days old, but the IPFW vice chancellor says PUFW needs to stay DI, but a conference change is a necessity  It is rare for a chancellor to speak so bluntly that they want out of a conference.  That spells doom for the Summit as currently composed, as IPFW is one of the few schools with baseball and mens soccer.  Time to make the Summit a football league so that sports sponsoring crap is immaterial.  The XDSU crowd will continue to ignore reality.

http://www.journalgazette.net/news/local/schools/20170730/vice-chancellor-sets-out-vision-for-ipfw

Looks like UMKC is reviewing dropping down to DII.  The thought that they may be a natural replacement for IPFW, even though UMKC doesn't have baseball, may be a bunch of hooey.

http://info.umkc.edu/unews/athletics-task-force-prepares-to-issue-report/

Got the link working 

Think UMKC is angling for a MVC or Horizon bid, as both leagues have said they were looking into expansion beyond 10 teams.  The Summit previously demanded that they add baseball, and they took off to the WAC instead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://jtacnews.com/9672/tarleton-creates-task-force-for-potential-d-i-invite/

So Tarleton St, which announced in 2007 it had a goal to move to DI, officially makes a committee to do just that.  In the last 10 years, they have upped the athletic fees to the maximum allowed by the State of Texas, improved their minor sports facilities, and increased enrollment to more than 12000.  Texas A&M-Commerce is also rumored to be moving up.  Those two schools are in the SW and NE periphery of the DFW Metroplex, so there are the most attractive DII Texas schools.

The Lone Star Conference just absorbed most of the Heartland Conference, so all indications are the Lone Star is anticipating losing members.  Still maintain that Sam Houston St, S F Austin and Lamar are leaving the Southland for the WAC and FBS.   Sam Houston St wont tolerate more weak schools in the Southland but yet DII Texas schools seem to be making moves?  Two WAC coaches said in the spring fb schools were coming.  Think a WAC FBS is still coming with the following schools:

NMSU

UTRGV

Sam Houston St

S F Austin

Lamar

Mo St (fb only)-wants in CUSA eventually, but won't go to the Belt

Wichita St (fb only)-wants full AAC membership-but needs a place to start fb

And UMKC and Chicago St have made noise about starting fb.  The WAC west of NMSU will remain football-less.

22 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

And UMKC and Chicago St have made noise about starting fb.  The WAC west of NMSU will remain football-less.

Can they afford it? Isn't the state of Illinois broke and on the verge of chopping budgets of the lesser Illinois colleges not named Illinois and Northwestern.

16 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Can they afford it? Isn't the state of Illinois broke and on the verge of chopping budgets of the lesser Illinois colleges not named Illinois and Northwestern.

It was in minutes of an admin meeting.  Chicago St can't afford anything, but that hasn't stopped them.  UMKC fb might have legs, as that could be the real reason that they moved to the WAC.  Chicago St just has one year left on its WAC contract and then may be out.

14 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

It was in minutes of an admin meeting.  Chicago St can't afford anything, but that hasn't stopped them.  UMKC fb might have legs, as that could be the real reason that they moved to the WAC.  Chicago St just has one year left on its WAC contract and then may be out.

Would Chicago St move to the Summit?

On 8/20/2017 at 7:42 PM, Rick said:

Parise committed on opening night of The Ralph.  While DeFauw & Armbrust were good players for the Sioux, it's quite a stretch to say we won a recruiting battle to get them.  Bryan Lundbolm's dad played for the Sioux and the Gophers would have really liked to get him but there was no question of where he was going.  If you want to count "almost wins", we almost won a recruiting battle for Keith Ballard.  He even told Blaiser he was coming to UND and then at the last minute went with the Gophers. 

Yes, they took quite a few butt-kickings from us in the old Ralph but I can't think of one recruiting battle that we won until Ralph gave UND the new arena.  About the only one I can think of is Karl Goehring.  But it was the Wooger who pretty much handed Karl to us with the way he recruited him.

You make some good points. But you cannot deny that our success in recruiting Minnesota kids started with Blais. Before Blais, very few Minnesotans would even think of coming to North Dakota. If it wasn't for Blais, Parise, Brady Murray, Brandon Bochenski and others would have worn the Maroon and Gold (ugh, the thought of it makes me ill).

• 3 weeks later...

Incarnate Word out of San Antonio is looking at cutting out some of their 23 sports to go FBS.  They just finished their DI transition this year and havent done anything at FCS but they are looking into FBS. Their stadium doesn't seat 15k, but they could play in the Alamo Dome, like UTSA.  UTA&M-San Antono is also fast growing so that might want to get ahead of them.  They have a sugar daddy, Tom Benson, the owner of the NO Saints, and he is gething up there, so he might be planning to give more.  The school is a comprehensive universith that needs more awareness even in Texas.  FBs could do it.  They have already scheduled three FBS games for 2019.  So a school is looking to cut back on sports to afford FBS.  Hmm.  Where have I heard that?

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Incarnate Word out of San Antonio is looking at cutting out some of their 23 sports to go FBS.  They just finished their DI transition this year and havent done anything at FCS but they are looking into FBS. Their stadium doesn't seat 15k, but they could play in the Alamo Dome, like UTSA.  UTA&M-San Antono is also fast growing so that might want to get ahead of them.  They have a sugar daddy, Tom Benson, the owner of the NO Saints, and he is gething up there, so he might be planning to give more.  The school is a comprehensive universith that needs more awareness even in Texas.  FBs could do it.  They have already scheduled three FBS games for 2019.  So a school is looking to cut back on sports to afford FBS.  Hmm.  Where have I heard that?

Isn't Ricky Williams a coach for Incarnate Word?

3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

I've heard that from you on here.....and literally nobody else.

So we cut sports twice because of a state mandated request, University-wide, so we can go FBS.

When and which conference?

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, cberkas said:

SouixVolley, I know someone on CSNBBS is going to point it out to you. Fresno State stomped Incarnte Word 66-0 this year, they play North Texas and New Mexico in 2018, and Baylor in 2020. I don’t see where they play UTSA between 2018 and 2020.

There was an article in a San Antonio paper that reported on UIW-UTSA game in 2019 and UIW will be playing North Texas and UNM that same year.  Not my fault for shoddy journalism.

UIW has more students than Rice, SMU, or TCU.  Texas mentality says go big.  If they have money, nothing could stop them.  A billionaire can make Mayville St into an FBS school if thats his heart's desire.  Americans are allowed to pursue big dreams.

3 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

There was an article in a San Antonio paper that reported on UIW-UTSA game in 2019 and UIW will be playing North Texas and UNM that same year.  Not my fault for shoddy journalism.

UIW has more students than Rice, SMU, or TCU.  Texas mentality says go big.  If they have money, nothing could stop them.  A billionaire can make Mayville St into an FBS school if thats his heart's desire.  Americans are allowed to pursue big dreams.

All that cash T. Boone Pickens has sunk into Oklahoma State hasn't brought home any championships. Facilities are important, but they alone will not get it done. UIW has to have a commitment to excellence in athletics or it won't matter how deep their donor's pockets are.

13 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

All that cash T. Boone Pickens has sunk into Oklahoma State hasn't brought home any championships. Facilities are important, but they alone will not get it done. UIW has to have a commitment to excellence in athletics or it won't matter how deep their donor's pockets are.

Didnt say that could win championships, but their facilities can be out of this world.  To qualify for FBS one needs time and boatloads of cash.

TCU, SMU and Rice have fewer undergrads but 10 figure endowments.  UIW can close that sporting gap if they have committed donors.