SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

2 hours ago, jacksfan29 said:

No one leaves the BSC because there is no place to go. Outside of UM and maybe MSU there is not one member that any other conference would be interested in. The best BSC schools not located in Montana have already left for greener pastures. 

Is the Summit interested in UND. Honestly I think most members could care less what UND does. That said, if an invite was given I think the upper tier schools would want the invite to be on the condition that you upgrade your programs to be able to compete. Right now, your WBB may make it to mid-pack with a low RPI (tolerable, not preferable) your MBB would be a drag on the conference. We just don't need any new bottom feeders. The goal is to improve the level of play in the conference not slide backwards by inviting teams that can't compete.

i wish you knew more about how conference affiliations worked so i wouldn't have to read this garbage...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, jacksfan29 said:

No one leaves the BSC because there is no place to go. Outside of UM and maybe MSU there is not one member that any other conference would be interested in. The best BSC schools not located in Montana have already left for greener pastures. 

Is the Summit interested in UND. Honestly I think most members could care less what UND does. That said, if an invite was given I think the upper tier schools would want the invite to be on the condition that you upgrade your programs to be able to compete. Right now, your WBB may make it to mid-pack with a low RPI (tolerable, not preferable) your MBB would be a drag on the conference. We just don't need any new bottom feeders. The goal is to improve the level of play in the conference not slide backwards by inviting teams that can't compete.

LOL.  OK chief.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

WSU has new marching band uniforms too.  Guess they won't be used at baseball games.

The Koch Brothers have bankrolled alot of WSU's academic upgrades too.

See an MVC FBS league like this forming:

Wichita St

MO St

N Iowa

I'll St

S Ill

Ind St

NMSU

Lamar

Sam Houston St

Lol no way in hell the MVC invites NMSU, Lamar or Sam Houston. You must be off your meds again.

8 minutes ago, North Dakota said:

Lol no way in hell the MVC invites NMSU, Lamar or Sam Houston. You must be off your meds again.

I could maybe see one Texas school.  It seems to be the thing to do for recruiting purposes of your a football league. 

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

There are disposable according to the powers that be in the Valley.  That is why they will come begging with hat in hand to the Sky and beg forgiveness for screwing over UND in the past.

I can see them taking NDSU and maybe SDSU but I think the Big Sky is done with the coyotes.

6 hours ago, jacksfan29 said:

I think you have spent too much time on Bisonville; you are just spewing Bison talking points. RPI......UND is a "bottom feeder".....blah, blah, blah. Let me explain this to you: the Slummit is not one of the top mid-major conferences in the country. Not....Even....Close. You are a one-bid league, not the second coming of the MVC (not to be confused with the MVFC). Half the schools in the Slummit want to get out and the other half are there because no one else wants them. I don't want UND in that way-station, hodge-podge of a conference.

If anything, UND would make the Slummit better more than the Slummit would make UND better. Believe that.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, North Dakota said:

CUSA says it's open to expansion conceptually.

Wichita St needs Texas for recruiting athletes and students and craves a better academic grouping.

Some CUSA schools wanted the conference to split, as it's too unwieldy.

The power ball the MVC won in Wichita State'should Final Four will be running out in a couple years, so MVC payouts will go way down.  CUSA will take a bit for their new TV contract, so they have to cut down on travel.

CUSA adds Wichita State and NMSU.  In seven years that conference can split in two.

CUSA East

FIU - FAU

Charlotte-  Old Dominion

Marshall - MTSU

WSU - UAB

West

S Miss - La Tech

Rice - UTSA

North Texas - Wichita St

UTEP - NMSU

Everyone has good travel partners to save cost

The Valley back fills with Murray St, Belmont, and Oral Roberts, getting prime basketball markets.

NDSU can't buy an invite to the MVC because it's not basketball focused, and contrary to what bizon fans think, Fargo isn't the center of the world.

In a recent statement, Wichita State's Prez stated that a more research oriented conference is preferable and that only Illinois St was a high research institution.  He's basically saying Wichita State will be leaving the MVC.  Think he got bags packed for CUSA.

A number of Big Sky officials (Idaho's AD, SUU and Weber St Presidents) have said the Big Sky willike align based on research.

On February 4, 2016 at 10:48 PM, SiouxVolley said:

CUSA says it's open to expansion conceptually.

Wichita St needs Texas for recruiting athletes and students and craves a better academic grouping.

Some CUSA schools wanted the conference to split, as it's too unwieldy.

The power ball the MVC won in Wichita State'should Final Four will be running out in a couple years, so MVC payouts will go way down.  CUSA will take a bit for their new TV contract, so they have to cut down on travel.

CUSA adds Wichita State and NMSU.  In seven years that conference can split in two.

CUSA East

FIU - FAU

Charlotte-  Old Dominion

Marshall - MTSU

WSU - UAB

West

S Miss - La Tech

Rice - UTSA

North Texas - Wichita St

UTEP - NMSU

Everyone has good travel partners to save cost

The Valley back fills with Murray St, Belmont, and Oral Roberts, getting prime basketball markets.

NDSU can't buy an invite to the MVC because it's not basketball focused, and contrary to what bizon fans think, Fargo isn't the center of the world.

So Witchita is going to be happy playing BB with that group of basketball misfits?  No way.

10 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

In a recent statement, Wichita State's Prez stated that a more research oriented conference is preferable and that only Illinois St was a high research institution.  He's basically saying Wichita State will be leaving the MVC.  Think he got bags packed for CUSA.

A number of Big Sky officials (Idaho's AD, SUU and Weber St Presidents) have said the Big Sky willike align based on research.

Source?

UTRGV is announcing a feasibility study for football Friday.  This meshes perfectly with the WAC taking in FCS schools from the Big Sky.  UTRGV is expecting 40k students soon, so they can get funding from student feess.  With the turmoil at the Louisiana FCS schools, UTRGV might get in the Southland soon, which has been their goal all along.

4 hours ago, BisonCardinal said:

SV, you said that Fullerton wanted the BSC to have two tiers of football, FCS and FBS.  Now you are saying the FCS schools will play in the WAC.  Please explain the changes in your grand plan.

Posted several times in different threads:

Big Sky

UC Davis - Sac St

Cal Poly - Port St

E Wash - Idaho

Mont - Mont St

UND - NDSU SUSD - SDSU

NMSU will get a slot if they can't find a FBS home, some of the teams, like the other Dakotas and Portland St, could come later.

Stadiums with 15k seats need to be in place by 2019.  FBS transitions would begin in 2018.

The WAC would look like this:

N Ariz

S Utah

Weber St

Idaho St

N Colo

UTRGV (later could slip off to the Southland)

Non-fb:  Grand Canyon, Utah Valley, Seattle, Bakersfield

DII moveups with fb:  Dixie St, Azusa Pacific

DII moveups would fb: Cal Baptist (building a new 5k arena)

Slip back to the Slummit - UMKC, Chicago St

Bakersfield and UCSD would backfill the Big West

Idaho is on the clock. NMSU is next up.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/university-of-idaho/article60594266.html

And this is some of their presentation to the Sun Belt. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbhgCjhXIAQIrt6?format=pjpg&name=large

Surely the SBC will be impressed. 

See more on Twitter: @murphsturph 

Interesting PowerPoint presentation by NMSU to the Sun Belt Presidents to get them extended.  NMSU only had 70 scholarship athletes on the football field in 2013 and 2014, because they had so much washout from JCs.  This last year, they only had 72 scholarship athletes.  Thought an FBS team needed 90% of 85, or 77.5 unless the NCAA placed you on probation.  Guess not, as NMSU hasn't lost their FBS status yet.  The JCS students might have reported, but dropped out in the midst of the season, so their actual tuition was probably paid.  Depth played a big role in many NMSU losses.  NMSU emphasized that Texas metro areas were their main recruiting grounds for HS kids now, not JCs.

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Idaho is on the clock. NMSU is next up.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/university-of-idaho/article60594266.html

And this is some of their presentation to the Sun Belt. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbhgCjhXIAQIrt6?format=pjpg&name=large

Surely the SBC will be impressed. 

See more on Twitter: @murphsturph 

Despite being second in those stats they failed to list the most important stat....8th out of 11 teams in overall record 4-8.

59 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

So when will be the first season Idaho comes to the Alerus Center for a "conference" game. I am sure people aren't impressed with their little Kibbie Dome which at 16k capacity must be loud when they average 11,653. (Just a side note there was 10 teams that failed to reach the 15k mark including Eastern Michigan who didn't crack 4900.) NMSU did have over 17k attendance to help their cause.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/jon-solomon/25418087/college-football-attendance-drops-for-fifth-straight-year-but-at-slower-rate

10 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

It's like Idaho purposely isn't even trying.  Why try when you know things are arranged for the Big Sky to go FBS?  Trying would screw that up.