SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

Now the million dollar question, is this the end of the MVC additions, or do they go for 12?

This sources says the MVC goes to 12, with Loyola, UIC, and team to be determined (either UMKC, Oral Roberts, or, quess who? ..... Nebraska-Omaha.)

https://twitter.com/...183451731787777

Taylor now has all kinds of problems: football schedule and Summit League that won't have enough teams. Their treatment of UND is coming home to roost. :whistling::lol:

• Upvote 2

This sources says the MVC goes to 12, with Loyola, UIC, and team to be determined (either UMKC, Oral Roberts, or, quess who? ..... Nebraska-Omaha.)

Taylor now has all kinds of problems: football schedule and Summit League that won't have enough teams. Their treatment of UND is coming home to roost. :whistling::lol:

Can you imagine the uproar if UNO, a hockey first school gets in to the MVC? Wow that'll be fun to watch.

Its okay their fans are counting on the Horizon and MAC instead of the MVC, especially when they (MVC) accept a sub 200 RPI team like Loyola. ButtRPI.

• Upvote 1

The Summit League has a done a lot to bolster it's western presence over the years, adding USD, UNO, and now Denver. But that has back-fired to an extent with the losses of Oral Roberts and UMKC.

I think there is going to be an interesting game of chess played between the Summit, the Horizon, and the WAC in the next two years.

I think it behooves low and mid-major non-football conferences like these three to cap membership at 10. It keeps costs down, and increases the payout to each school from revenue sharing.

The Horizon has the luxury of being able to factor in geography when considering future additions. They are going to be down to 8 with the loss of Loyola. Despite potential objections from Detroit, they almost have to add Oakland. If they take any other Summit school, I think they'd look first to IUPUI. Again, geography will be a large part of the criteria for the Horizon. They also like to play in large cities, and Indianapolis is by far and away the Summit's biggest market.

A lot of chaos can be avoided if the MVC either stays at 10, or adds schools that are not currently in the Horizon.

IUPUI doesn't play baseball and with Horizon baseball numbers on the edge, they need to add someone who plays baseball. .

I read recently where IPFW is moving basketball back on campus into a gym that seats less than 1,900. I don't think the Horizon will be looking at them, even though they do have baseball.

I know that Western Illinois doesn't fit the "big city" profile, but they do play baseball, they are not too far out of the Horizon footprint and with football firmly planted in the MVFC, that is not an issue

IUPUI doesn't play baseball and with Horizon baseball numbers on the edge, they need to add someone who plays baseball. .

I read recently where IPFW is moving basketball back on campus into a gym that seats less than 1,900. I don't think the Horizon will be looking at them, even though they do have baseball.

I know that Western Illinois doesn't fit the "big city" profile, but they do play baseball, they are not too far out of the Horizon footprint and with football firmly planted in the MVFC, that is not an issue

True about the Horizon being on the brink for baseball. However, Oakland is a baseball playing school, another reason they are the best fit to be the first addition to the Horizon.

Given the fact that both the Summit and Horizon are in dire need of baseball schools, I wonder if a merger in that sport alone would be an option?

True about the Horizon being on the brink for baseball. However, Oakland is a baseball playing school, another reason they are the best fit to be the first addition to the Horizon.

Given the fact that both the Summit and Horizon are in dire need of baseball schools, I wonder if a merger in that sport alone would be an option?

I think even with the addition of Oakland the Horizon is on the edge. Especially if UIC leaves. UIC was viewed as the one being picked before Loyola was eventually chosen.by the MVC. They may not get in this year, but what about next?

Article in the USA Today that discusses the talking points of this thread. Good read and its going to be interesting to see what happens in the next year or two. I'd not want to be in a conference with a commissioner who is reactive right now.

http://m.usatoday.co.../sports/2097115

He does not elaborate, but claims it would not be complicated:

"It could happen, and it wouldn't be that complicated," said former Big Eight commissioner Chuck Neinas, who has consulted schools and leagues on issues ranging from realignment to television to coaching hires, and most recently helped keep the Big 12 together as interim commissioner.

If they (BCS Football) break off and eventually take basketball with them, the NCAA will not have the $ to continue and college athletics as we know it would be decimated. This would be a perversion of capitalism that stems from the 'I'm the only one that matters to me' attitude that is such a large part of today's society.

What has happened to personal responsibility with an eye toward the common good? It feels like that is disappearing from today's society.

Every member of the ACC signed a Grant of Rights today. Realignment just came to a screeching halt at the upper level of DI....

http://www.theacc.co.../042213aaa.html

Doubt it........From the article:

"The ACC has long been a leader in intercollegiate athletics, both academically and athletically," said the collective ACC Council of Presidents. "Collectively, we all agree the grant of rights further positions the ACC and its current and future member schools as one of the nation's premier conferences."

Doubt it........From the article:

"The ACC has long been a leader in intercollegiate athletics, both academically and athletically," said the collective ACC Council of Presidents. "Collectively, we all agree the grant of rights further positions the ACC and its current and future member schools as one of the nation's premier conferences."

Future members being Louisville, Pitt, and Syracuse plus Notre Dame partially. FargoBison is right, this should end realignment at least in the upper part of D1. ESPN

I doubt that, the ACC is only one conference.

The only power conference without a GoR is the SEC. There is still a chance that Cincy, UConn or BYU gets scooped up by a power conference I guess but the massive realignment that some predicted isn't going to happen.

Future members being Louisville, Pitt, and Syracuse plus Notre Dame partially. FargoBison is right, this should end realignment at least in the upper part of D1. ESPN

The Big East, Catholic league and SEC schools are still free to move. Also, the MWC has a couple schools that could receive an invite some time down the road. I wouldn't say its over.

If this is over (which as I mentioned above I don't believe it is), after all the backfilling takes place and the trickle down is done, would hate to be in a conference with 6 members. For example, lets say the Horizon backfills with Oakland and Robert Morris and the MVC possibly adds Denver or UNO, there won't be much shuffle left for the remaining Summit to get into or schools to choose from.

I have been reading blurbs about Oakland and possible others heading to the Horizon for the past few months. Along with that there is conversation on various fan boards about possible new members to the Summit to cover the loss of Oakand and maybe others. I am still surprised to see how many think that UND should join the Summit.

Gaining entry into the Summit League is similar to getting your first job out of college. You are excited to be chosen the first few days, but then you are already looking for the door out to a better opportunity.

The Big Sky is a destination conference that has not had near the turnover rate the Summit has. The Big Sky has football, whereas UND would have to gain entry into the MVFC to make the Summit decision work.

The Big Sky, at this point, is stable, unlike the Summit. Why would UND want to take a step down in conferences and join a shaky conference?

• Upvote 3