SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

i think the idea is that if the horizon loses YSU to the CAA and detroit and lets say cleveland state to the A10, how fast are the other schools going to head for the exits? Thats why I said that if the horizon dies, it will die fast. If it lingers, they will just backfill with summit schools until there is noone left.

I have no interest in being in a conference with the montana or idaho schools. Give me the 5 I-29 schools, western illinois, the UW's and whoever is interested/remaining out of UNC+ Denver, Oakland, and whatever is left for the Chicago and Indiana schools.

That conference would offer no stability. The current Summit proves that those schools would always be looking for a different conference.

thanks for your contribution to this discussion. It's nice having little stalkers who get butthurt because my opinion deviates from the groupthink.

UND deserves better than the big sky. You are allowed to think otherwise, and i won't accuse you of not being a fan of UND because you think so low of UND that you think the bigsky is appropriate. I actually have standards for my school, I'm sorry that you don't.

What would be better than the Big Sky...the Mountain West? The Missouri Valley? UND isn't in a position to join those conferences. Location for one thing and facilities would be another. The Big Sky is perfect and why....stability. Last team to leave the Big Sky was Cal State-Northridge in 2001. That was 12 years ago. How many teams have left the Summit in the last 12 years? Eight (if you include UMKC and Oakland). That's almost a team a year. Yes since '01 the SL has added teams but its just replacing the ones the leave until recently. DU may turn and run, Omaha isn't a full DI member, so that leaves the SU's, USD, WIU, and the Indiana schools. As for the Big Sky since '01, they lost 1 (CSU-Northridge) and gained 4 (including Idaho) and 6 including Cal Poly and UC Davis. So again why should UND leave the BSC for the SL? It should be the other way around...SL teams should be trying to get into the Big Sky.

• Upvote 4

What would be better than the Big Sky...the Mountain West? The Missouri Valley? UND isn't in a position to join those conferences. Location for one thing and facilities would be another. The Big Sky is perfect and why....stability. Last team to leave the Big Sky was Cal State-Northridge in 2001. That was 12 years ago. How many teams have left the Summit in the last 12 years? Eight (if you include UMKC and Oakland). That's almost a team a year. Yes since '01 the SL has added teams but its just replacing the ones the leave until recently. DU may turn and run, Omaha isn't a full DI member, so that leaves the SU's, USD, WIU, and the Indiana schools. As for the Big Sky since '01, they lost 1 (CSU-Northridge) and gained 4 (including Idaho) and 6 including Cal Poly and UC Davis. So again why should UND leave the BSC for the SL? It should be the other way around...SL teams should be trying to get into the Big Sky.

You're just confused. :)

The standed Dakota 3 are completely happy in the Summit. None of them tried to originally get in the Big Sky and got rejected. The Summit is a happy place of security, rainbows and unicorns.

• Upvote 1

Fullerton needs to take advantage of the situation and bring in FU and Denver. FU, is the 2 time defending national champ in football and would be travel partner for UND. There would be less chance of leakage to FBS if you keep the North Dakota and Montana schools in one conference and keep them happy.

Denver, great academic addition and travel partner for UNC.

With Idaho announcing they are going to the Sun Belt for football only, will that result in relooking at Idaho's Big Sky membership for Olympic sports? Can't imagine the President's are all that pleased with Idaho, as a division setup for football will not be possible now. Thought it was required that BIg Sky schools have their football in-house.

You're just confused. :)

The standed Dakota 3 are completely happy in the Summit. None of them tried to originally get in the Big Sky and got rejected. The Summit is a happy place of security, rainbows and unicorns.

From last summer, talking about rainbows and unicorns:

NDSU president thinks Summit League is going in right direction

FARGO – North Dakota State University President Dean Bresciani said he’s pleased with the direction of the Summit League, adding that when it comes to conferences, bigger isn’t always better.

http://www.bakkentoday.com/event/article/id/365020/publisher_ID/1/

From last summer, talking about rainbows and unicorns:

NDSU president thinks Summit League is going in right direction

http://www.bakkentoday.com/event/article/id/365020/publisher_ID/1/

That's right Dean...I would rather be in a conference on the verge of losing its AQ status due to everyone jumping ship.

UND deserves better than the big sky.

If North Dakota is to establish itself as one of the best FCS programs in the land, I think it is beneficial for them to be a member of the best FCS conference.

I don't see what your problem with the Big Sky is anyways. Not only do we get to associate with great programs like UM, MSU, Weber, Idaho, EWU, Cal Poly, and UC Davis, all the time, but we still are playing your coveted 'I-29' schools in just about everything as well. So what's the big deal? It's really the best of both worlds.

• Upvote 2

If North Dakota is to establish itself as one of the best FCS programs in the land, I think it is beneficial for them to be a member of the best FCS conference.

I don't see what your problem with the Big Sky is anyways. Not only do we get to associate with great programs like UM, MSU, Weber, Idaho, EWU, Cal Poly, and UC Davis, all the time, but we still are playing your coveted 'I-29' schools in just about everything as well. So what's the big deal? It's really the best of both worlds.

Good post. Putting hatred aside it really is very true.
  • Upvote 1

Detroit Free Press article last week:

A source confirmed that Illinois-Chicago is leaving the Horizon League for the Missouri Valley Conference. The move was first reported this morning by a Milwaukee blogger (@PantherU on Twitter).

The source also said it is "a done deal" that Oakland University will join the Horizon League, which already contains Detroit Mercy. The Golden Grizzlies currently play in the Summit League.

It was unclear whether the moves would be effective next season or in 2014-15.

The Horizon League also may consider adding Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC) and/or Denver. It isn't likely to take IUPUI or IPFW.

There's also a chance more schools could leave the Horizon League. The Missouri Valley also has looked at Loyola and Valparaiso. Loyola, according to a source, was more than willing to increase its budgets to make the move to the Valley.

Some in the league also believe Youngstown State could be looking to move because of football.

http://www.freep.com...land-university

'great programs' and you list idaho and two football only members.

the bigsky is an absolutely awful basketball conference, and the only reason its stable is because none of the schools in it can do any better. What does it tell you that denver chose the awful, terrible, unstable summit over the big sky?

That conference would offer no stability. The current Summit proves that those schools would always be looking for a different conference.

the only reason the bigsky is stable is that there is nowhere better for those schools to go. Unless you are in the big10, sec, or pac-12, everyone is always looking for something better. The atlantic 10 sees turnover of its members, this is not a bad thing. The rest of the UND fanbase appears to be satisfied with remaining at the bottom indefinitely and competing for an annual 15 seed in the tourney once a decade. I guess i shouldn't be surprised, this is the same fanbase that needed the jaws of life to pry it from division 2.

Aside from NDSU potential joining the MAC or MWC or some such fantasy 10+ years down the road, where would any of those schools go? The MWC and MAC won't accept a non-football school, the MVC is probably out of reach for any of them aside from maybe denver, and the OVC is pretty stable and trending south (geographically). The only strike against the summit ever posed here is that it's unstable, which is basically a perception problem. The league I laid out would be pretty competitive, roughly on par with the ovc for instance, and be fairly stable because all those schools are pretty isolated, even the wisconsin schools. Basically the big sky except with the addition of competitive athletics.

What happens if Montana gets an invite to the MWC (about as likely as NDSU to the MAC imo), would you really want to stay in the big sky? After all, every argument in favor of the bigsky seems to come down to buttStability and buttMontana.

the bigsky is an absolutely awful basketball conference, and the only reason its stable is because none of the schools in it can do any better. What does it tell you that denver chose the awful, terrible, unstable summit over the big sky?

the only reason the bigsky is stable is that there is nowhere better for those schools to go. Unless you are in the big10, sec, or pac-12, everyone is always looking for something better. The atlantic 10 sees turnover of its members, this is not a bad thing. The rest of the UND fanbase appears to be satisfied with remaining at the bottom indefinitely and competing for an annual 15 seed in the tourney once a decade. I guess i shouldn't be surprised, this is the same fanbase that needed the jaws of life to pry it from division 2.

Aside from NDSU potential joining the MAC or MWC or some such fantasy 10+ years down the road, where would any of those schools go? The MWC and MAC won't accept a non-football school, the MVC is probably out of reach for any of them aside from maybe denver, and the OVC is pretty stable and trending south (geographically). The only strike against the summit ever posed here is that it's unstable, which is basically a perception problem. The league I laid out would be pretty competitive, roughly on par with the ovc for instance, and be fairly stable because all those schools are pretty isolated, even the wisconsin schools. Basically the big sky except with the addition of competitive athletics.

What happens if Montana gets an invite to the MWC (about as likely as NDSU to the MAC imo), would you really want to stay in the big sky? After all, every argument in favor of the bigsky seems to come down to buttStability and buttMontana.

Geography is the main reason the Big Sky is stable. You say that like its a bad thing. Its also the largest hurdle that UND and FU face in joining in the conference shuffle party. So until the time comes that either UND or FU is asked to join a new conference, which will be a while, I'll take the conference that hasn't lost a member in 10 years over the revolving door Summit league.

Also, Denver went to a conference that was not going to force them to add more olympic sports. Their biggest obstacle in the past has been their unwillingness to add sports. They are a good addition to the Summit league but the Summit was desperate and needed a member. Also, please provide a link of a Big Sky offer to Denver. They would bring 3 sports to the men's side of the Big Sky and 5 sports to the women's and have no interest in adding any additional.

So did you put up a fight against FU joining the BSC the first time or second time they tried to get in? I bet you emailed GT and had signs protesting FU's attempt to the Big Sky. Your hatred towards the conference that rejected your school twice is very funny, are you hoping that three times a charm? Or will FU turn the SL into the GWC 2.0 when everyone leaves FU behind (notice I didn't say the SU's).

• Upvote 1

Collegiate Athletics Economics 101.

Yep, and there is nothing wrong with it. I am calling it like it is in response to a FU fan who thinks DU had a hand full of conference offers and chose the Summit. This will be Denver's 3rd conference in the last 3 years.

Yep, and there is nothing wrong with it. I am calling it like it is in response to a FU fan who thinks DU had a hand full of conference offers and chose the Summit. This will be Denver's 3rd conference in the last 3 years.

DU will move on after next season.

Wait a minute. Aren't you the one who has stated over and over again that you are a UND fan. Your arguments are all out of the FU talking points.... awful basketball conference... nowhere to go.... geography.....blah-blah-blah. You can now lose the facade. It wasn't really working anyway.

UND like being in the Big Sky. There may come a day where there will be reason to change that, but that day isn't today, tomorrow or the near future. For FU the day they may want to leave the Summit may truly be tomorrow. No get in your MG and head back to FU land.

Depends what the Summit looks like and if any other offers come DU's way.

Now that Oakland left why would they want to stay. Oh that's right that RPI thing that FU love to throw around in the one bid league. I wouldn't be surprised to maybe have DU as a non football member of the Big Sky if Idaho joins the SB in all sports.

Are you referring to the tweet and story in the Milwaukee newspaper last week? If so, the Oakland AD denied the story and said they haven't been contacted when asked to respond. Now having said that, it's a well known fact that Oakland wants out and whether or not this latest rumor is true, it's most likely just a matter of time until they leave.

Are you referring to the tweet and story in the Milwaukee newspaper last week? If so, the Oakland AD denied the story and said they haven't been contacted when asked to respond. Now having said that, it's a well known fact that Oakland wants out and whether or not this latest rumor is true, it's most likely just a matter of time until they leave.

Why would they print a story without contacting the AD to see if it was true? But I am sure OU is on their way out.