SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

I only see the MVC adding one new team. They like the balanced schedule of 10, with 18 conference games and there is less schools to split their NCAA MBB money with. Unless they are expecting to lose more teams, I don't see them going to 12.

Not sure if it will affect the Summit. They need to be concerned about Oakland moving to the Horizon or Denver being the team that the MVC picks. My best guess is ORU or Denver.

I see the domino effect of the Summit affecting Oakland more than the SU's. IMO I don't see either one going to the MVC, but I do see Oakland leaving soon. (of course crazier things has happened).

I could see the backfill of the Atlantic 10 affecting the Horizon. This could get Oakland into that league.

the a10 is losing temple, uncc, dayton, and butler, and by my count will still have 12 members remaining. Do they even add new members? (probably)

the a10 is losing temple, uncc, dayton, and butler, and by my count will still have 12 members remaining. Do they even add new members? (probably)

You can add Xavier and SLU to that, which would give them 10. But oddly I doubt the A10 will be at 10 for long.

You can add Xavier and SLU to that, which would give them 10. But oddly I doubt the A10 will be at 10 for long.

I also think it is unlikely that the A10 doesn't backfill. Also feel that UMASS is eventually headed to the old Big East with UCONN, Temple, etc, although that may be a few years down the road. A couple Horizon schools like Valparaiso and Detroit would seem to be likely candidates to replace.

I think all eyes from this area are going to be squarely focused on what the MVC does to replace Creighton. I personally think the logical choice would be to only add Oral Roberts. They private, solid in the two sports that the MVC focuses on in basketball and baseball, and fit geographically. But there are many wild scenarios to consider. If the MVC wants to go hog wild to protect against future unrest, they could easily look at any of ORU, Belmont, Denver, Air Force, and Valparaiso. I think Oakland will be Horizon-bound within 2 years, so it would be disastrous for the Summit Leauge if the MVC set their eyes on Denver. I don't think it is likely, but definitely not out of the realm of possibilities.

The A10 will also take a hard look at Valparaiso, Detroit, and Belmont I believe. On the other hand, it looks like the Western faction of the A10 is off to the new Big East, so maybe the A10 would look to tighten their geography by looking to pillage some CAA schools. George Mason and Drexel come to mind. Both the Horizon and the Summit are hoping for this.

If the A10 looks east, and the MVC only adds ORU, both the Summit and the Horizon could come out relatively unscathed. However, while I think those are the logical options, it seams strength in numbers is what is driving all of this expansion. Actually it is TV, but that seems to be translating to large leagues. As someone else pointed out, the A10 has 16, the Big Ten has 12 (soon to be 14), the ACC has 12 (soon to be 14), the Big Sky has 11 (13 with affiliates), the Catholic 7 started with seven, are moving to 10, and indicating they will end up with 12.

In the back of my mind, I also have the feeling that both the A10 and MVC could poach several Horizon schools. If that happens, it could actually be a good thing for the former NCC schools that are in the Summit. All it would mean is that what is left of the Summit and the Horizon would merge. That could mean a 12 to 14 team conference consisting of NDSU, SDSU, USD, UNO, WIU, UW-Green Bay, UW Milwaukee, and a bunch of others that escape me right now. If Tom Douple was left without a job, that would be a huge step up for the former NCC schools.

Regardless, I think the MVFC will remain in tact, and the former NCC schools end up just fine.

Denver was my second guess behind ORU. Not sure why they weren't listed more originally as a possibility other than they had just moved to the Summit. They seem to be switching conferences yearly anyway, so no big deal to them. Plus being a private university is a definite plus to half of the MVC.

denver is about as far out of the footprint as NDSU, and geography seemed to be a big deal.

True, but Denver is a private school, spends a lot of money on and has had relative success with basketball and doesn't have football to worry about. And while it isn't the closest option, getting to Denver by plane is pretty easy. They aren't perfect but I think them being a private and non-football school is a huge deal for the balance of the MVC and them being picked wouldn't surprise me.

True, but Denver is a private school, spends a lot of money on and has had relative success with basketball and doesn't have football to worry about. And while it isn't the closest option, getting to Denver by plane is pretty easy. They aren't perfect but I think them being a private and non-football school is a huge deal for the balance of the MVC and them being picked wouldn't surprise me.

And market size plays a role too.

denver is about as far out of the footprint as NDSU, and geography seemed to be a big deal.

hardly... much easier and shorter travel to Denver. Plus it would be a good recruiting ground for the conference and a nice large market. No comparing FU to DU.

• Upvote 1

hardly... much easier and shorter travel to Denver. Plus it would be a good recruiting ground for the conference and a nice large market. No comparing FU to DU.

I was actually thinking this morning the Summit has to be disappointed about this. I mean, DU fit perfectly into their new marketing plan without having to change their name.

@stuwhitney: Summit League commissioner Tom Douple says Denver informed Missouri Valley they will stick with Summit and not replace Creighton in Valley.

Summit League commissioner Tom Douple says Denver informed Missouri Valley they will stick with Summit and not replace Creighton in Valley.

— Stu Whitney (@stuwhitney)

March 9, 2013

So, according to Douple and Summit League - the MV has given an offer to Denver and Denver said "No". I can not wait to hear what the MV has to say - given well you know what I am talking about..

Actually it appears they had a conversation, I'm guessing the MVC was feeling them out but no offer was made.

@joeboo22 @jackrabbitden @MileHighMids Not officially, it doesn't sound like. Might have been a feeling-out discussion.

— Stu Whitney (@stuwhitney)

March 9, 2013

hardly... much easier and shorter travel to Denver.

have you ever actually looked at a map? Denver is about 450 miles from witchita, which in itself will now be on the outskirts of the MVC. Once you're in an airport your in an airport, and there isn't much difference between peoria to chicago to fargo than there is from peoria to chicago to denver.

Anyway this conversation is moot as apparently denver wishes to remain i the summit, for whatever reason.

edit: another point against denver. Its absolutely not in the interest of the MVC football schools to raid and potentially demolish the summit. As the USD situation made clear, there is a degree mutual dependence between the summit and the MVC.

have you ever actually looked at a map? Denver is about 450 miles from witchita

I just looked at the map..

WSU to DU - 517 miles

WSU to FU - 724 miles

Yes, Denver is closer..

http://nsflight.com/Data/DEN.html

Plus direct flights from CID, DSM, OMA, SFG, ICT to DIA would cover all teams except (ISU-B, Evensville, ISU-R, SIU) I am sure direct flights from IND, STL, ORD or BNS would be very nice. That is kind of my point. Denver is a direct flight vs FAR (Fargo).

I would say the MVC talking to DU also proves my point that the MVC did not think DU was too far outside the MVC footprint. DU staying in SL is great for SL. I do think that the AD for DU will have several people reaching out to her to understand why they choose to stay in SL when DU approached the MVC about membership a couple of years ago.

• Upvote 1

Denver hasn't started play in the Summit yet. I don't see them telling Douple that they are interested in the MVC and gone if they get an offer. That would sure make it awkward if an offer never came.

But than again, Oakland has been pretty up front for years that they have one foot out the door and are just waiting for the offer.