SiouxSports.com Forum

Uniforms

GeauxSioux

Does anyone else find it somewhat disrespectful to members of the military when Nike calls their uniforms "combat"? Those are game uniforms, not combat uniforms.

Nope, but I am the exact opposite of someone being PC. Dad was in the air force, both grand fathers served in WWII, some of my best friends served in both Iraq and Afghanistan. Its only disrespectful if you want it to be.

• Upvote 2

While a lot of people are "traditionalists" and don't like anything "new." These players love the jerseys/helmets. They love being flashy....My only criticism of Oregon's jerseys is the numbers look like duct tape.

Compare that with the boring Wisconsin uniform....Everythings white with a "W" on the helmet....bland and boring.

edit: I love Oregons feathers they integrate in their uniforms reminds me of the Sioux....too bad the sioux didn't do something like that in their uniforms back in the day when they had a chance.

Wow... I don't think that hate is even a strong enough word to describe how I feel about those uniforms. Gaudy and tacky would be a gross understatement. YUCK!!!

Sorry, Dave, disagree with you on that one. They should not make uniforms to please 40, 50, etc year old guys watching the game on tv while they're drinking their beer. Oregon's uniforms look sleek and fast, and guess what, their team is sleek and fast. The recruits they get are sleek and fast. I see a connection.

• Upvote 2

Sorry, Dave, disagree with you on that one. They should not make uniforms to please 40, 50, etc year old guys watching the game on tv while they're drinking their beer. Oregon's uniforms look sleek and fast, and guess what, their team is sleek and fast. The recruits they get are sleek and fast. I see a connection.

Exactly. You know those players love playing in those jerseys and helmets. You know they love being "cutting edge." Those helmets really are probably the sweetest I have seen....would have been a badass "sioux" helmet.

oregon-ducks-rose-bowl-uniform.jpg

I thought they were hideous ...maybe it was just the ugly orange.

It's just the old person coming out in you. People my age are loving these jersey's. Except the Maryland jersey, I still haven't comprehended how someone thought that was a good idea :crazy:

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry to inform you of this fact, but there are numerous winning programs out there with old-school type uniforms (Oklahoma, Michigan, USC, Notre Dame, Texas, Florida State, Nebraska, and I could go on all day). To try to make the argument that you must have a gaudy/tacky modern style uniform to attract top tier athletes is not only a stretch but a pulled hamstring.

All of the bolded schools have also worn new alternate uniforms on multiple occasions over the last few years.

Michigan's-

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dT9gfVv_3bU/TfK2BJImw3I/AAAAAAAACXg/FMV9hl8DoqI/s640/off+throwback.jpg

http://cmsimg.detnews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C3&Date=20111213&Category=SPORTS0201&ArtNo=112130428&Ref=AR&Profile=1131&MaxW=640&Border=0&Michigan-seniors-selected-alternate-jersey-Sugar-Bowl

Notre Dame's-

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/gallery/2011/College%20football/2011unis/notredame1pg-vertical.jpg

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1113/ncf_u_wood_wm_400.jpg

Florida State's-

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_BwMQiTTD5Ak/SvOs786ULoI/AAAAAAAABGM/7KJsOPATkag/s400/Florida+State+Uniforms.jpg

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1061/407045.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry to inform you of this fact, but there are numerous winning programs out there with old-school type uniforms (Oklahoma, Michigan, USC, Notre Dame, Texas, Florida State, Nebraska, and I could go on all day). To try to make the argument that you must have a gaudy/tacky modern style uniform to attract top tier athletes is not only a stretch but a pulled hamstring.

yes, there are lots of 'old school' uniforms, but... you are talking about some pretty storied programs. North Dakota is a newcomer, relatively speaking, in D-I to the Oklahoma's, Michigan's, Notre Dame's and the others you mentioned. Oregon's uniforms are edgy and differentiate their program. It is, or at least can be, a selling point when players are deciding between USC and Oregon, or say NDSU and UND. And yeah, I'm an old guy, but I like the Oregon Rose Bowl uni's. The Chrome helmets were not tacky and the feathers were pretty subdued. Now, on the other hand, from what I have seen and heard concerning Coach Mussman, those uniforms don't quite seem to fit his 'public' style, so it may be a moot point anyway.

My point was that there are winning teams with classic uniforms, winning teams with modern uniforms, losing teams with classic uniforms, and losing teams with modern uniforms. While I concede the point that some college age kids might dig uniform styles that I find to be extremely tacky (because I know many kids that age listen to music that I find repulsive, but I digress...), I really don't think it's as simple as saying modern uniform = winning program and classic uniform = losing program. There is so much more to it than that. How many recruits are actually going to choose one school over another merely because the uniform is more modern than classic? ???

You would be surprised at the number I am afraid. At the Armed Forces High School all star game some kids were pouting about what number they had to wear and a couple stated that if they were torn between 2 schools they would check the rosters to see if "their" number was available

My point was that there are winning teams with classic uniforms, winning teams with modern uniforms, losing teams with classic uniforms, and losing teams with modern uniforms. While I concede the point that some college age kids might dig uniform styles that I find to be extremely tacky (because I know many kids that age listen to music that I find repulsive, but I digress...), I really don't think it's as simple as saying modern uniform = winning program and classic uniform = losing program. There is so much more to it than that. How many recruits are actually going to choose one school over another merely because the uniform is more modern than classic? ???

agreed on the winning/losing point... but to a recruit, looking cool may sway the decision.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like a headcase, not a team player. I don't want somebody with that kind of attitude on the roster of my favorite team, and I'm not surprised that somebody like that would be the same kind of somebody who prefers the gaudy/tacky style uniforms. Give me throwback players and throwback uniforms 7 days a week and twice on Sundays.

Are ones that say Flickertails acceptable? :whistling:

Sounds like a headcase, not a team player. I don't want somebody with that kind of attitude on the roster of my favorite team, and I'm not surprised that somebody like that would be the same kind of somebody who prefers the gaudy/tacky style uniforms. Give me throwback players and throwback uniforms 7 days a week and twice on Sundays.

Fortunately you are the minority on this topic ;)

• Upvote 1

I'm in the minority to want team players who are not headcases? Or I'm in the minority to prefer old-school classic style uniforms to the modern/futuristic tacky/gaudy ones? ???

I should have been more specific as I was referring to our uniforms. They were bad this year.