SiouxSports.com Forum

Ice Breaker Tourney

AZSIOUX

I pretty much agree with everything Farce said. It's going to take a while for the freshmen forwards to learn their defensive responsibilities. I'm sure the coaching staff is making this their focus in the first half, and until they learn how to play in their own end we won't get to see as much of what they have to offer in the scoring department. As the season rolls along and these young guys learn, things could be pretty fun in the 2nd half!

8700 at the game? Really? I'm in the Cities for soccer but that no problem finding someone to use my seats. Suprised by announced small crowd.

A win is a win... a buddy was texting me during game. Sounds like it was a decent effort for a young team.

Not given in season ticket packages or with student tickets. Did they even offer students cheaper tickets for this?

8700 at the game? Really? I'm in the Cities for soccer but that no problem finding someone to use my seats. Suprised by announced small crowd.

A win is a win... a buddy was texting me during game. Sounds like it was a decent effort for a young team.

First game jitters for many of the youngsters. I also thought with the added responsibilty of playing on the PP Blood was a bit off his game on the defensive side. Both of these things will improve with game experience. Potential for another deep run in the playoffs is there.

8700 is very disapointing though

The Ralph better be full and rocking tonight for the BC game - I'm astonished at the pathetic turnout on Friday. Worst crowd in 6 years for a Sioux game! C'mon people, it's hockey season, most of us have been waiting all summer for this. Had I known it was that easy to get tickets I would've made the trip up from Kansas City.

I don't mean to come across badly here... but it was the first game! Do you honestly think the rest of our team isn't capable of doing any offensive damage down the road? That first line is not going to be our only scoring threat. There's a reason why this team is a work in progress. We were spoiled last year with the team we had. Our coaching staff will evaluate and solve the problems as the season goes on.

I agree, I don't think our fanbase has enough respect for other programs, nor the adjustment necessary to this level of play. I expect to see a rollercoaster first half of the season, which has been the norm under Hakstol, even with teams with more experience. I also expect there will be those insane fire Hakstol threads popping up here and there. Before the game, I would have thought that it was very possible the Sioux could get beat by Air Force. I like our first line, I think the all freshman line will be spotty, but should contribute more consistently by the second half of the game, and when you add Grimaldi to the mix, they may be consistent sooner. Also have lines that are going to succeed by hard work. Lamoureux line is in that category and they really got us going last night. It may get frustrating, but I am going to try and just "enjoy the season", because I think by February sometime, they could become a pretty good team.

Although attendance was quite disappointing, the crowd was surprisingly loud. There were a few "LET'S GO SIOUX" chants throughout the night and the place was rocking when UND made its comeback.

I believe student ticket packages were $40. The lower bowl of the student section was full, the top sections were about one third full.

The the rest of the arena, the top corner sections were bare and the lower bowl was spotty in some sections. Hopefully there is a better showing tonight.

As it's been said, the youth up front is really going to be an issue for a while. When Grimaldi gets in the lineup, that should make all the lines better. I'd like to see Mattson getting more minutes on D. His speed and passing have really been impressive. In 2 games, i think he and Gleason have been the best puck moving pair. Getting a win tonight would be huge. Down goes BC!!!

I think the win over AFA should go to Hak and Mario. In the 2nd period the all freshman line was not skating and was responsible for a goal against. They had done nothing all night so Hak switched it up mid game and put Mario with some of the freshman. The change was almost instantaneous. I understand that there will be growing pains, but the fact that MacMillan and others didn't skate to back check is absolutely inexcusable at any level. I think the best looking freshman was Mattson, yet again. I also think that the freshman maybe developed some bad stickhandling habits against Regina. NCAA is much faster and the cute stuff doesn't work so well.

I can't emphasize how much it would help to have Rocco back. Dickin is not a 2nd line WCHA forward at this point. With Rocco we should instantly have 2 threatening lines instead of 1. Forbort was a little off, wondering if he is dinged up?

I was thinking about something today....last year a senior laden Sioux team blew a 5-1 lead against a young UAA team, in a game that the Sioux probably should have lost in OT if not for a huge Eidsness save.

This year, a young Sioux team pulls out an ugly win to start the year.......

I'll take the win over the tie any day.

PS: Would love to see Eidsness in the net tonight. Dell is #1, but a great game for the Sioux to get Eidsness in there.

Obviously lots of scouts for the tourney, and with such a light crowd, I was able to pick out John Hill here today. i'm not sure what he's doing now, but he's pretty hard to mistake.

Are you sure he wasn't just taking a break from his new job as an usher?

Lines from Brad's Blog

UND’s lines

29 Brock Nelson–10 Corban Knight–7 Danny Kristo

9 Mario Lamoureux–27 Carter Rowney–15 Michael Parks

21 Brendan O’Donnell–16 Mark MacMillan–19 Rocco Grimaldi

28 Stephane Pattyn–14 Taylor Dickin–11 Derek Rodwell

4 Derek Forbort–24 Ben Blood

18 Dillon Simpson–2 Andrew MacWilliam

5 Nick Mattson–20 Joe Gleason

32 Aaron Dell

31 Brad Eidsness

35 Tate Maris