SiouxSports.com Forum

Polls week of Sept 26th

Matt

Whatever happened to the days where when a kid gave a public verbal the other coaches backed off as a courtesy not only to the other coach but to the kid as well?

Couldn't that backfire on the coach as well. Most recruits have access now to Twitter and Facebook and message boards and could get the coach a bad rep for not backing off.

Whatever happened to the days where when a kid gave a public verbal the other coaches backed off as a courtesy not only to the other coach but to the kid as well?

Those days are gone. Recruiting is a dirty, dirty game. As long as people aren't breaking violations I am fine with whatever they do. Essentially, the only person NDSU has to worry about is Lakes paying for something stupid and unnecessary for a recruit.

Those days are gone. Recruiting is a dirty, dirty game. As long as people aren't breaking violations I am fine with whatever they do. Essentially, the only person NDSU has to worry about is Lakes paying for something stupid and unnecessary for a recruit.

Yawn Boy, I think I hear your mom calling, you better go home. Please. You add nothing of interest here.

• Upvote 1

i saw over on the bunny board that they have a 4 page thread on UND being ranked with the Bison faithful doing their best at explaining it. IF there was some sort of confusion where last week the voters mistook UND for NDSU, causing NDSU to fall in the rankings and UND to be ranked, why is UND still ranked a week later? Shouldn't the voters have figured out their error and not ranked UND? After this week UND will either rise in the rankings with a win over SUU or fall out of the rankings with a loss to SUU.

Beat the Birds!

So do the Bison fans tell the whole story or just the parts that might make UND look bad? Do they tell the whole story on how the Sioux are ranked the second week too? Do they admit then that the voters didn't get the schools mixed up afterall and how silly Kolpack and the media in Fargo look now? I am guessing they didn't tell the rest of the story. By the way why are NDSU fans on the Rabbit message board talking about UND anyway. I thought they were over UND.

So do the Bison fans tell the whole story or just the parts that might make UND look bad? Do they tell the whole story on how the Sioux are ranked the second week too? Do they admit then that the voters didn't get the schools mixed up afterall and how silly Kolpack and the media in Fargo look now? I am guessing they didn't tell the rest of the story. By the way why are NDSU fans on the Rabbit message board talking about UND anyway. I thought they were over UND.

They are over UND. Just look at Bisonville, 200 threads about UND. :lol:

Are you stupid?? He doesn't care where UND is ranked? Ask his recruits that are now choosing UND over NDSU. UND has arrived in the FCS world and that worries ol' Craig. He doesn't have the monopoly in ND anymore. The five year head start...dwendelling down. If and when UND gets ahead of NDSU in the polls you will see more recruits go towards UND than NDSU, especially now that we are getting out of the Great West and into an autobid conference. We are going to be on even ground with NDSU and if the Bison can prove once again they cannot win their conference, it will take 1 Big Sky title to turn the tide completely over to UND.

I usually read but don't post because I can a Bison fan that has no tie to the UND/NDSU rivalry (I moved to the F/M area in '04). But for you to boast that UND will overtake NDSU as the better football school is rather foolish. Tell me how many REAL FBS wins does UND have under their belt? Does UND even have a winning percentage against FBS teams? How well has UND done against FCS teams (don't count Drake, they are a non-scholly team)? Do you even know that UND might get kicked out of the Big Sky if the ND legislature does not remove the law stating that UND can keep their nick-name? Anyways when in the last 5 years has UND out recruited NDSU in North Dakota. Last year the two biggest recruits (Carson Wentz and Andrew Okland) chose NDSU over UND. I know that the year before that UND tried recruiting Esley Thorton, and Thorton chose NDSU over UND. Mussman wishes he could be Craig Bohl. Biggest difference between the two teams (and their fans) is that NDSU expects to win against FBS schools, and UND is okay with any moral victory they can get. I also get a kick that you cling so dearly to UND's 1 D II National Championship, you must have forgotten that NDSU has 7 more of those than UND. But of course our championships are in the past, but last time I checked so was yours. Just so you are aware NDSU is not taking anything for granted, even when (or may be if) you get into the Big Sky, the Missouri Valley Conference is tougher because there is a higher amount of tough physical competition. Best of luck to UND, I still doubt that UND will leap frog NDSU, you'll need a FCS caliber coaching staff and FCS caliber players to do that.

I usually read but don't post because I can a Bison fan that has no tie to the UND/NDSU rivalry (I moved to the F/M area in '04). But for you to boast that UND will overtake NDSU as the better football school is rather foolish. Tell me how many REAL FBS wins does UND have under their belt? Does UND even have a winning percentage against FBS teams? How well has UND done against FCS teams (don't count Drake, they are a non-scholly team)? Do you even know that UND might get kicked out of the Big Sky if the ND legislature does not remove the law stating that UND can keep their nick-name? Anyways when in the last 5 years has UND out recruited NDSU in North Dakota. Last year the two biggest recruits (Carson Wentz and Andrew Okland) chose NDSU over UND. I know that the year before that UND tried recruiting Esley Thorton, and Thorton chose NDSU over UND. Mussman wishes he could be Craig Bohl. Biggest difference between the two teams (and their fans) is that NDSU expects to win against FBS schools, and UND is okay with any moral victory they can get. I also get a kick that you cling so dearly to UND's 1 D II National Championship, you must have forgotten that NDSU has 7 more of those than UND. But of course our championships are in the past, but last time I checked so was yours. Just so you are aware NDSU is not taking anything for granted, even when (or may be if) you get into the Big Sky, the Missouri Valley Conference is tougher because there is a higher amount of tough physical competition. Best of luck to UND, I still doubt that UND will leap frog NDSU, you'll need a FCS caliber coaching staff and FCS caliber players to do that.

Wow...maybe you should have just read and not post. FBS has no barring if your team can't win a National title or even a conference title. NDSU has 1 GWFC title in their FCS career. You do realize the BSC is gaining teams that are or were ranked right? SUU, Cal Poly, and UC Davis. The MVFC is gaining South Dakota, a team UND has lost to 5 times since 1989. USD hasn't won anything but that game against Minnesota in their FCS career. And why is it foolish thinking UND will someday ( i never put a date on anything) move ahead of NDSU. Look what happened in the 90's both teams went in opposite directions. UND up, NDSU down. It happens. Since you don't know the rivalry look at a book and read up on it. UND doesn't lead the series for nothing. NDSU won those titles when UND was down, and UND won their title when NDSU was down. Its a roller coaster, and like I said NDSU's 5 year head start in the FCS is dwendalling down because UND is in a autobid conference and if they can show they can get W's in Bozeman, Missoula, and in Cali, recruiting is going to become a lot easier for UND and a lot harder for NDSU.

And about the nickname. I am not worried. That will all pan out, and UND is NOT going to be kicked out of the Big Sky. Just keep your hopes up like other Bison fans do that we will be kicked out, I know they pray for that.

Thanks for your interest in UND football. Another fan who doesn't care, but still reads and posts.

I will give you that NDSU is currently a better team than UND and that NDSU has done better than UND against FBS competition to date. But to say that NDSU will always be better than UND at football is foolish. If you look historically at the two schools, NDSU won 23 conference championships. UND won 24. Head to head, UND leads the series overall 62-47. UND and NDSU both have good football programs and it's just a matter of time until the pendulum swings back towards UND. With the Big Sky in the near future, I don't believe our invite is in as big of jeopardy as you would like to think, the pendulum is getting closer and closer to UND's side.

• Upvote 1

Some voters may have gotten the schools mixed up. Some of them may have corrected it. Anyway, Haven't been over there...I assume they are telling the part that makes it look like NDSU got screwed. Some folks might claim each of the schools are over each other. Those folks are lying.

Some voters may have gotten the schools mixed up. Some of them may have corrected it. Anyway, Haven't been over there...I assume they are telling the part that makes it look like NDSU got screwed. Some folks might claim each of the schools are over each other. Those folks are lying.

I do agree with Craig Bohl....I would like to know who voted for whom. It should be an open vote.

I will give you that NDSU is currently a better team than UND and that NDSU has done better than UND against FBS competition to date. But to say that NDSU will always be better than UND at football is foolish. If you look historically at the two schools, NDSU won 23 conference championships. UND won 24. Head to head, UND leads the series overall 62-47. UND and NDSU both have good football programs and it's just a matter of time until the pendulum swings back towards UND. With the Big Sky in the near future, I don't believe our invite is in as big of jeopardy as you would like to think, the pendulum is getting closer and closer to UND's side.

I think it is wrong to look at series overall anyway. When games played in the 1800's through the 40's and 50's count....you can't really brag about series leads. Funny fact is Notre Dame holds a very similar lead over USC I believe, and thats after USC just dominated Notre Dame for 9 years in a row. But does anyone care? No, because USC has been at Notre Dame's level for quite some time. My way of looking at things....anything before the Super Bowl Era is not worth counting.

And another bit off topic but this is where the thread has been taken, UND's invite into the Big Sky is gone if they keep the name and deal with the sanctions. The Big Sky essentially told them that their name was expected to be gone or at least the issue settled by the time they were to enter the conference. It is best for UND if the Legislature changes the law.

Back onto the polls, this week is really UND's last good chance maybe to go up in the polls. Is UND at home the week after this? I was going to go up to Grand Forks to visit a friend and if UND is at home I wouldn't mind catching some football.

I agree Darrell, the coaches should not have a veil to hide behind. But if it was an open vote, then during press conferences they might get asked why they voted a certain way rather than questions about the time. I am not saying it would happen, but it would open them up to a lot of criticism (maybe not such a bad thing).

I think it is wrong to look at series overall anyway. When games played in the 1800's through the 40's and 50's count....you can't really brag about series leads. Funny fact is Notre Dame holds a very similar lead over USC I believe, and thats after USC just dominated Notre Dame for 9 years in a row. But does anyone care? No, because USC has been at Notre Dame's level for quite some time. My way of looking at things....anything before the Super Bowl Era is not worth counting.

And another bit off topic but this is where the thread has been taken, UND's invite into the Big Sky is gone if they keep the name and deal with the sanctions. The Big Sky essentially told them that their name was expected to be gone or at least the issue settled by the time they were to enter the conference. It is best for UND if the Legislature changes the law.

Back onto the polls, this week is really UND's last good chance maybe to go up in the polls. Is UND at home the week after this? I was going to go up to Grand Forks to visit a friend and if UND is at home I wouldn't mind catching some football.

I agree Darrell, the coaches should not have a veil to hide behind. But if it was an open vote, then during press conferences they might get asked why they voted a certain way rather than questions about the time. I am not saying it would happen, but it would open them up to a lot of criticism (maybe not such a bad thing).

UND hosts Montana Western (DII or NAIA) after the SUU game, then coming up is Cal Poly (Oct 22). UND has a bye week between home games.

There is no doubt about which school is the premier institution in the area. It would be the school that fans, media, administrators. and coaches from other schools all talk about. Of course that school would be UND.

Quite a bit of doubt. Both schools get ample attention which is good for the state. I have never understood why people feel the need to get into pissing contests about which school is the "premier" one. If you want to be a doctor or a lawyer, UND is a fine place to get your education. If you want to be a pilot, outside of the Air Force Academy and the Naval Academy, UND might be the best. If you want to do something Agriculture(tons of money in Ag), you hit up NDSU, if you want to be a pharmacist, NDSU, both have solid business but back home my dad is a CEO of a financial institution and they have 90% NDSU grads, so based on a small sample NDSU is better, but like I said, small sample.

I will mention this however about NDSU vs. UND, by the time we were this far into our transition, we had spent weeks at #1. What has UND done to give you guys all of this confidence?

UND hosts Montana Western (DII or NAIA) after the SUU game, then coming up is Cal Poly (Oct 22). UND has a bye week between home games.

Ahh I probably won't hit the game up then. If Poly was in town that week I would for sure hit it up. Wouldn't have minded catching the tailgating scene at the Alerus, I've heard it isn't too bad..

History shows that these two programs have always been competitive and from time to time one program is stronger than the other. I was trying to point out, to Bisonfan11, that just because NDSU currently has a stronger team, doesn't mean that it will last beyond even this year...as history indicates. His quote was that it's foolish to think that UND will overtake NDSU as the better football school.

Ahh I probably won't hit the game up then. If Poly was in town that week I would for sure hit it up. Wouldn't have minded catching the tailgating scene at the Alerus, I've heard it isn't too bad..

Buffalo Wild Wings was at the Alerus last Saturday...awesome. Games for the kids, great food. Atmosphere was perfect, and had perfect weather too.

History shows that these two programs have always been competitive and from time to time one program is stronger than the other. I was trying to point out, to Bisonfan11, that just because NDSU currently has a stronger team, doesn't mean that it will last beyond even this year...as history indicates. His quote was that it's foolish to think that UND will overtake NDSU as the better football school.

I agree and disagree, UND will have better teams from time to time, the five-year head start they allowed is really going to kick them in the balls for awhile I think. I don't know if they will ever fully catch NDSU (not with Muss). Will UND have some teams that are better than NDSU, yep, at some point, a UND football team will be better than an NDSU one(not with Muss). But will UND ever catch NDSU as a football school? No. NDSU has the tradition, the venue(dome v. alerus? not a contest), the school support(hockey is the big "thing" at UND).

Does that mean there is anything wrong with UND? No, not at all. I just look at UND and say that they are the Auburn to our Alabama as far as football in the Modern Era (super bowl era) goes. Auburn has done well, Alabama just has a little bit more to hang their hat on as far as historical success. None of this is intended as a slam against UND. Just an opinion.

UND should start to be consistently better as soon as Muss is gone. I'm sorry, but he isn't taking you guys anywhere.(see Idaho halftime kneel, see lack of adjustments in 2nd half). Maybe convince ol' Roger Thomas to come coach again ;)

I agree and disagree, UND will have better teams from time to time, the five-year head start they allowed is really going to kick them in the balls for awhile I think. I don't know if they will ever fully catch NDSU (not with Muss). Will UND have some teams that are better than NDSU, yep, at some point, a UND football team will be better than an NDSU one(not with Muss). But will UND ever catch NDSU as a football school? No. NDSU has the tradition, the venue(dome v. alerus? not a contest), the school support(hockey is the big "thing" at UND).

Does that mean there is anything wrong with UND? No, not at all. I just look at UND and say that they are the Auburn to our Alabama as far as football in the Modern Era (super bowl era) goes. Auburn has done well, Alabama just has a little bit more to hang their hat on as far as historical success. None of this is intended as a slam against UND. Just an opinion.

UND should start to be consistently better as soon as Muss is gone. I'm sorry, but he isn't taking you guys anywhere.(see Idaho halftime kneel, see lack of adjustments in 2nd half). Maybe convince ol' Roger Thomas to come coach again ;)

Or better yet, Dale Lennon. :)

So what is your definition of "catching NDSU as a football school." The only thing that is measureable when it comes to comparing programs is wins and losses and to a lesser degree budgets. Some schools do better with less. As I said earlier, history indicates it goes back and forth and I believe this will continue to be the case in the future.

Or better yet, Dale Lennon. :)

So what is your definition of "catching NDSU as a football school." The only thing that is measureable when it comes to comparing programs is wins and losses and to a lesser degree budgets. Some schools do better with less. As I said earlier, history indicates it goes back and forth and I believe this will continue to be the case in the future.

My case is the National Championships NDSU has. The atmosphere at games. I think if they play anytime soon NDSU will win most of them. But like you said, the two teams have gone back and forth, since the Super Bowl Era (my measuring stick, some might use others) NDSU won a few more than UND, not a lot, but a few. Did UND have success in that time? Yes, a national title, conference titles, playoff appearances, but at the end of the day, CAS4127 has 3X as many championship rings as any UND player on the 2001 team. Again, not trying to upset anyone, and damnit, the thread is drifting away.....WILSON!!!!!!

I'm not upset, just trying to set things straight with bison fans. Remember, you are on a Sioux Fan message board. Don't like what you read, go back to bville.

Back to the rankings...If UND wins this weekend, they deserve to be ranked and will most likely stay in the polls. If they lose, they will drop out of the polls...and hopefully some of the Bison trolls will drop out of our message board.

I wish everyone would just stop and see it how it is. When you compare programs, NDSU has obviously had more success. 8 National Championships and more recently 4 wins against FBS teams. Yes UND has had success as well. Many conference titles as well as 1 Championship. So yes, I will conceed that up today NDSU has been more sucessful. But that does not mean that UND will not succeed or eventually be better than NDSU on a year to year basis. Past performances are not neccesarily indicitive of future results. Will UND football ever exceed the tradition, the fan support that NDSU has.....could be tough. But will they will eventually challenge NDSU year in and year out in the polls and maybe even the playoffs and National Championships.....you better believe it.

• Upvote 1

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt11.htm

In the Sagarin Ratings, there are 18 FCS schools above Minnesota, so NDSU beating Minnesota is equivalent to NDSU beating the 19th ranked FCS team (which is a good victory).

Of Minnesota's previous opponents, Miami is ranked #154 (UM barely won), N Mex St is #151 (UM lost), and USC is #23. If Minnesota hadn't gone toe-to-toe with USC, Minnesota's rating would have been much much worse.

BTW, NDSU's rating is #83 (second highest in FCS) and UND's is # 161. Five FBS teams are lower than UND: Memphis, UAB, New Mexico, Akron, and Western Kentucky.