SiouxSports.com Forum

Carlson To University System:

WYOBISONMAN

I am a native North Dakotan and have more than a passing interest in my home state. Good god what a numbnuts...... :silly: Maybe you need to seek a little help for your paranoia issues.

I think we can do without the name calling and what ever else you as an NDSU guy want to interject. NDSU has done enough to screw this up and we don't need the likes of you in here too. I highly suspect your sincerity on this issue, since you aren't known for ever caring about UND on anything else. I suspect it is nothing more like a personal axe to grind with Al Carlson

I think we can do without the name calling and what ever else you as an NDSU guy want to interject. NDSU has done enough to screw this up and we don't need the likes of you in here too. I highly suspect your sincerity on this issue, since you aren't known for ever caring about UND on anything else. I suspect it is nothing more like a personal axe to grind with Al Carlson

Buddy, you need to settle down. Wyo shares the same thoughts of Carlson as many of us on this board and has stated it here and elsewhere. Because he is not a UND grad doesn't mean he can't have a thought on the issue. NDSU really hasn't done much to screw this up so I don't really understand where you are coming from with that comment, unless you are trolling or trying to stir the pot even more. You seem to be the only one who brings NDSU into this conversation.

All smacking aside (which we all enjoy), this is a real crisis point for Higher Ed in North Dakota. The reason I started this thread is that both Universities have a huge interest at stake in this fight. It really is not about the nick name anymore, but about control of Higher Education and what kind of strings are attached to higher education funding in North Dakota. North Dakota has always been a state with a great deal of vison. part of that vision gave us a SBOHE that is fairly well insulated from the changing political winds in state government. To me that is a very good think since our schools are supposed to be places where free thought and ideas are encouraged and fostered.

Carlson is trying to set North Dakota back many years by making our Higher Ed system subject to the political winds of the day. This is wrong and a detriment to the entire state, whether a Bison fan, Sioux fan, or a Beaver fan. I suspect, no matter what happens, Al is trying to set the SBOHE up to be the Legislature's whipping boy. And how unfortunate that is when the State of North Dakota is rolling in cash provided by the oil wealth out west. At a time when dollars ought to be flowing to the Universities and strengthening Higher Ed, I suspect the next session will be full of vendettas being executed by Carlson, Sen. "asshat" Andrist and others.

It is unfortunate that Carlson has chose UND athletics to be his tool in this fight. Clearly these foolish distractions are not a plus for the Sioux program. But, the fight is much bigger than this. As a proud alumnus of the North Dakota Higher Ed System, it is frustrating to watch these events take place. I hope that the alumni from both schools that are still living in North Dakota can have an impact and stop this foolish behavior by our elected officials.

(Now back the the smack.....;))

Wow, there are some pathetic views being spewed on this thread.

Yes FRED, you are correct, the SBOHE is not breaking the law by virtue of its "planning" a name transition Any more than you wouldn't be breaking the law by planning a bank robbery. But The question is, how do the citizens of North Dakota (owners of UND) feel about the administration spending their money to plan something which is currently EXPLICITLY against North Dakota State Law!

-well It's not like any of you give a !@#$ that a million + of your money is getting extorted to pay for a name change that has no business being changed.

Did all of you upstanding citizens simply choose to forget about the concept of the law.

It is not Al's law or the governor's law. It is THE LAW!

OF COURSE WE ARE ALL SAYING WE SHOULD PISS ON THE LAW-OSHIE STYLE-SINCE THE NCAA FACIESTS TOLD US WE BETTER BREAK IT OR ELSE.

Who's the bad guy?

Hmmmmmm???

Common now boys and girls, I know your busy firing off your politically charged propaganda but just give reason a chance.

Someone on Bisonville heard Carlson on KFGO this morning and this was what was paraphrased from Al's comments......

Al is on KFGO right now and he basically said that the people want to keep the name and he has the emails to prove it. Consequences be damned, "they have been sanctions since the 15th already and nothing has changed."

There is also a Representative from New England, ND that is going to oppose repeal of the law. This was in the Plains Daily....

For at least one North Dakota legislator, Representative Mike Schatz (R-New England), the state

Buddy, you need to settle down. Wyo shares the same thoughts of Carlson as many of us on this board and has stated it here and elsewhere. Because he is not a UND grad doesn't mean he can't have a thought on the issue. NDSU really hasn't done much to screw this up so I don't really understand where you are coming from with that comment, unless you are trolling or trying to stir the pot even more. You seem to be the only one who brings NDSU into this conversation.

You don't think it's odd that a non-UND guy who lives out of the region is constantly posting about this when it shouldn't concern him? It's obvious from what I've seen that it's not the name issue that has him worked up, it's a personal thing with Al Carlson.

Maybe WYOBISON would like to join us in our support of the new hockey conference since he's so concerned about what happens here?

You don't think it's odd that a non-UND guy who lives out of the region is constantly posting about this when it shouldn't concern him? It's obvious from what I've seen that it's not the name issue that has him worked up, it's a personal thing with Al Carlson.

Maybe WYOBISON would like to join us in our support of the new hockey conference since he's so concerned about what happens here?

I for one don't mind WYOBISONMAN chiming in. He has proven over time that he brings valuable discussion points without flaming the majority of the board. There's an art to that, especially, when you come in fully acknowledging up front that you are a fan of the opposition. And in the spirit of full disclosure, my problem with Carlson is also personal, because he's effn' things up to the degree that it could have irreparable damages on UND and its athletic department, both of which I love.

This calls for a state-wide vote on the issue. (not entirely serious). What does it take to have a state-wide initiative?

Neither of which will mean anything to the NC$$, or the BSC.

Carlson's a fool, and so are those he think he's bringing manna from heaven with his continued petulence.

All smacking aside (which we all enjoy), this is a real crisis point for Higher Ed in North Dakota. The reason I started this thread is that both Universities have a huge interest at stake in this fight. It really is not about the nick name anymore, but about control of Higher Education and what kind of strings are attached to higher education funding in North Dakota. North Dakota has always been a state with a great deal of vison. part of that vision gave us a SBOHE that is fairly well insulated from the changing political winds in state government. To me that is a very good think since our schools are supposed to be places where free thought and ideas are encouraged and fostered.

Carlson is trying to set North Dakota back many years by making our Higher Ed system subject to the political winds of the day. This is wrong and a detriment to the entire state, whether a Bison fan, Sioux fan, or a Beaver fan. I suspect, no matter what happens, Al is trying to set the SBOHE up to be the Legislature's whipping boy. And how unfortunate that is when the State of North Dakota is rolling in cash provided by the oil wealth out west. At a time when dollars ought to be flowing to the Universities and strengthening Higher Ed, I suspect the next session will be full of vendettas being executed by Carlson, Sen. "asshat" Andrist and others.

It is unfortunate that Carlson has chose UND athletics to be his tool in this fight. Clearly these foolish distractions are not a plus for the Sioux program. But, the fight is much bigger than this. As a proud alumnus of the North Dakota Higher Ed System, it is frustrating to watch these events take place. I hope that the alumni from both schools that are still living in North Dakota can have an impact and stop this foolish behavior by our elected officials.

(Now back the the smack.....;))

The Higher Ed Board could be viewed as nothing more than a turf protectorate for the higher education system. That's a cynical viewpoint, admittedly, but I think one would be a bit of a Pollyanna to truly believe that it is simply an entirely altruistic body focused solely on the betterment of education. In 1994 or 1995 when it was created, it was thought that the SBoHE would be free of the politics of the day to "streamline" the ND higher education system and make it more "efficient." Translation: Stop or reduce duplication to save money for the taxpayer (close or restrict VCSU, Mayville, etc.). I have not been a resident of ND for years now but, from my vantage point, it looks like people were duped. Next, why not have some state board that has plenary authority over road construction and repairs and improvements? Why should politics decide that a 4-lane highway from Portal, ND to Jamestown on Highway 52 -- a highway that sees a ton of traffic from SK down to Jamestown en route to Minneapolis -- should be held in abeyance in favor of a 4 lane highway between Fargo and Hillsboro (Highway 81 or whatever it is)? Why not come up with a state board for anything and everything?

How is he any different than all the non-alumni of UND talking about the logo? So you are saying if you are not an alumni you should not talk about the logo?

I think the reason myself and other people not associated with UND are following this issue so closely is because we know this is about Al Carlson's charge to have the legislature take over higher education in North Dakota. He is simply using the Sioux name as a backdrop because of the emotions and publicity that go along with it.

I for one don't mind WYOBISONMAN chiming in. He has proven over time that he brings valuable discussion points without flaming the majority of the board. There's an art to that, especially, when you come in fully acknowledging up front that you are a fan of the opposition. And in the spirit of full disclosure, my problem with Carlson is also personal, because he's effn' things up to the degree that it could have irreparable damages on UND and its athletic department, both of which I love.

Wyobisonman is on point here. Carlson is stirring up a hornet's nest. It appears to me the majority leader has the SBOHE in his sights, and is locked and loaded.

This nickname stuff is just a red herring hiding his real motive.

• Upvote 2