SiouxSports.com Forum

Annual Minnesota Viking Thread

WYOBISONMAN

From a lifelong Vikings fan, we're in trouble.

We look weaker on both lines, have one proven receiver (who is prone to migraines), have unproven backups at most positions, have salary cap problems, and play in a division with:

a) the best team in football

b) another playoff team

c) a team that could be the most improved by the end of the year.

On paper the strategy against the Vikings this year looks to be block Jared Allen and stuff Peterson...I have no confidence that any receiver besides Harvin will ever require anything more than single coverage, which should put a bunch of guys in the box. Maybe McNabb can find Shiancoe and Rudolph enough to give AP some running room, if not he's going to spend a lot of time running for his life on 3rd and long.

I hope they prove me wrong, but as of now it looks to me like we'll be fighting to stay out of the cellar.

From a lifelong Vikings fan, we're in trouble.

We look weaker on both lines, have one proven receiver (who is prone to migraines), have unproven backups at most positions, have salary cap problems, and play in a division with:

a) the best team in football

b) another playoff team

c) a team that could be the most improved by the end of the year.

On paper the strategy against the Vikings this year looks to be block Jared Allen and stuff Peterson...I have no confidence that any receiver besides Harvin will ever require anything more than single coverage, which should put a bunch of guys in the box. Maybe McNabb can find Shiancoe and Rudolph enough to give AP some running room, if not he's going to spend a lot of time running for his life on 3rd and long.

I hope they prove me wrong, but as of now it looks to me like we'll be fighting to stay out of the cellar.

This is why they will do great! Happens every time, they look great, fall on their faces, they look bad, surprise everyone! SKOOOL VIKES!!!

This is why they will do great! Happens every time, they look great, fall on their faces, they look bad, surprise everyone! SKOOOL VIKES!!!

I agree with this assessment. When it comes to the Vikes all logic gets thrown out the window. This team will surprise a few of the better teams in the league.

They better develop a young QB. I don't really like relying on all these old guys like McNabb and Favre, although Favres first year was sure exciting. The Vikes need a young QB they can build the team around. I am just going to be happy to not see that asshat Chilly on the sidelines too!!

• 3 weeks later...

39 yards passing the whole game. 3 yards passing in the second half.

This year is going to be a disaster. Oh well, I have better things to do on Sunday than watch this team. :lol:

I want to know why Ponder or Webb wasn't given the ball in the second half to jump start the team.

Being a fan of mostly MN sports (except for my beloved Alma Mater UND)...it's just too difficult to go negative so early. I mean, when living in loserville USA (copyright PA) it makes for a really, really long year when you give up hope after the first game.

I'm willing to see where this offense is after week 3 or 4. Remember...the '09 Favre-led Vikings didn't exactly destroy Cleveland, Detroit, and SF before finally getting some rhythm. They were damn lucky to start 3-0. I'm willing to cut McNabb and the entire new coaching staff some slack - especially when you consider there was ZERO off-season activity until training camp.

Plus...week 4 is about when Sioux Hockey gets fired up full-time! Who needs the Vikings at that point? Only full-time loserville residents! :lol:

39 yards passing the whole game. 3 yards passing in the second half.

This year is going to be a disaster. Oh well, I have better things to do on Sunday than watch this team. :lol:

McNabb looked terrible, never thought I'd say this but Jackson would have won that game, defense and special teams had the table set but McNabb kept dropping his fork.

He better get it going pretty quick, short preseason or not a veteran throwing for 39 yards is beyond stinky, it's something you'd see from a rookie under pressure, a couple more of those nosepluggers and Ponder will be thrown in the mix, which might not be the worst thing.

If Matthew Stafford starts as many or more games as Donovan McNabb, Detroit finishes ahead of Minnesota in football's Norris Division.

This is my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Why is that so shocking? The Lions finished ahead of the Vikes last year without Stafford most of the time anyways. With him for a full season, and I'd be shocked if the Lions didn't finish ahead of the Queens.

I have now seen all I need to see of Frazier as a head coach...he is clueless in managing a game. If you can't manage a game nothing else matters, the Vikings will not win with him as the head coach.

To not use his timeouts when Tampa was driving at the end of the game is complete incompetence. Left no time on the clock for his offense if Tampa ties or takes the lead.

Absolutely pathetic. Childress would be proud of him.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now seen all I need to see of Frazier as a head coach...he is clueless in managing a game. If you can't manage a game nothing else matters, the Vikings will not win with him as the head coach.

To not use his timeouts when Tampa was driving at the end of the game is complete incompetence. Left no time on the clock for his offense if Tampa ties or takes the lead.

Absolutely pathetic. Childress would be proud of him.

He has faith in his Defense. The problem is.... after #69, there is no pass rush. And then your corners and safeties are only mediocre at best. So... Time outs would merely have delayed the inevitable. In the second half this year, your corners have looked downright lost.

I dunno what to say after that. McNabb is useless. Why not see what someone else can do. It surely can't be any worse.

I don't think McNabb is useless. I think their playcalling is. Adrian Peterson needs the ball more. It's not like they're always playing from behind. They've had the lead in all three games iirc. He's the best back in the league. I honestly don't think you have much in the way of Wide Receiver so...

The Viking defense did fine on Sunday. Robison is playing well. Kevin Williams is back. The D-line will be fine. The offense needs to convert on a third down once in a while in the second half to keep the defense off the field. That's on McNabb. It's a passing league...need to have a passer that can keep the ball above the shoe tops and in the field of play.

Has anyone seen Adrian Peterson? Percy Harvin? Anyone? Does Musgrave even know that they are on the Vikings?

Between 30 run plans and 30 pass plays Peterson got the ball 24 times. I think that's a pretty fair amount, especially when you're down late in the game and need to pass. The problem is, Adrian isn't running like he used to and it's a passing league. Not many teams who run the ball a lot are going to win a ton of games, unless they are running to protect a lead.

The thing is, Donovan hasn't played great, but he's played good enough to win. He's not really turning the ball over much, and is just kind of managing the game. That should be sufficient with a guy like Adrian to win a game against the Chiefs, but like I said, Adrian isn't getting it done. Maybe it's the offensive line.

I think it all boils down to the coaching. Leslie Frazier is not a head coach. You can just see it in his demeanor when they show him on the sidelines. He looks lost. Reminds me a bit of Ray Rhodes when he was the Packers head coach.