SiouxSports.com Forum

What Needs to Happen

GeauxSioux

Here's what I see happening:

From now until November special session, Big Al will be attempting to garner votes for repeal of the law, and there will be public statements to that effect. He'll say he tried, but now must do the right thing.

NCAA and Big Al and Co. meet in July--no change of policy

Discussion on repeal escalates, and it becomes almost a given that repeal will happen in November (sending message to BSC).

BSC meets in October. Outcome: provided law is repealed, UND still in.

Law is repealed in November (nickname retired as a result). Confirmation by BSC that UND is still in.

Big Al paints himself as a true politician. One that put up a "fight", as they like to say in Nodak politics, but given the un-yielding NCAA, he fully studied the issue and decided not to risk UND athletics.

Big Al runs for U.S. House.

And loses big time!!!! You have Sioux fans mad at him for almost getting us out of the Big Sky and you have Bison fans mad at him for wasting taxpayer money on this bill.

And loses big time!!!! You have Sioux fans mad at him for almost getting us out of the Big Sky and you have Bison fans mad at him for wasting taxpayer money on this bill.

The problem, 76, is that he is getting name recognition despite being an asshat, and I would say well over half of the ND voting population is completely uninformed-- see a name on ballot, recognize it, check.

Anyway, still think we are gonna see repeal, retirement and BSC membership.

The problem, 76, is that he is getting name recognition despite being an asshat, and I would say well over half of the ND voting population is completely uninformed-- see a name on ballot, recognize it, check.

Dang, I already gave away my +1 for the day.

I think this is how it will go.

Standing Rock shouldn't have to grant approval AGAIN because the ceremony that took place in 1969 was sacred and can't ever be undone. Therefore UND did gain approval from both tribes, fulfilling their end of the settlement.

That doesn't support the criteria set forth in the settlement,Section 2c- http://www.ag.state.nd.us/ncaa/SettlementAgreement.pdf

For purposes of this Agreement, namesake approval from Standing Rock shall be adopted by any means allowed in the Tribe's Constitution and shall be in writing. For purposes of this Agreement, withdrawal of approval by either Tribe shall be memorialized in the same form as the approval.

It is beyond pathetic that we are even in this situation in the first place. What gives the NCAA the right to say that certain nicknames are not allowed to be used anymore after they've already been in use for generations? It almost makes me question whether or not it is even worth being a part of the NCAA at all. :angry:

Their league, their rules.

For purposes of this Agreement, withdrawal of approval by either Tribe shall be memorialized in the same form as the approval.

Allowing the Sioux name/logo to be held hostage to the whims of tribal politics never sat well with me. Even if both SR and SL gave their written approval today, there's nothing to prevent them from pulling at some later date, for any reason. Then again, I suppose some people appear willing to allow UND to be "extorted" to simply preserve the name/logo.

What the NCAA said:

“The NCAA’s Native American mascot policy remains in effect, and we stand ready to assist the University of North Dakota with its implementation of the policy.

“The Big Sky Conference’s position related to the university’s Fighting Sioux nickname and logo is consistent with the spirit and intent of the settlement agreement the NCAA reached with the university to retire the nickname and logo.

“We have made clear to both the conference and the university that the NCAA has no intention of changing its position.

“If the University of North Dakota continues to use the nickname and logo past the August 15 deadline due to state law, it will be subject to the parameters of the policy. This means the university could not host any championships or use the nickname and logo at any championship events.”

What they really said:

We don't need to do anything. We have a signed agreement.

We like what the BSC said and did a week ago. Little do you know that we got to them and we'll get to every other conference you talk to.

We ain't budgin'.

We have you by the short-hairs.

It will have to happen like that. There is way too much on the line. I hope like hell everyone remembers the crap Asshat Al pulled in the legislature. This guy should not be elected dog catcher.

What the NCAA said:

What they really said:

We don't need to do anything. We have a signed agreement.

We like what the BSC said and did a week ago. Little do you know that we got to them and we'll get to every other conference you talk to.

We ain't budgin'.

We have you by the short-hairs.

Exactly right, they already won the battle when they negotiated the settlement and have no intentions of revisiting something they came out of smelling like a rose.

What has been lost in this whole NCAA/UND/BSC/Sioux Tribes discussion is the real reason we are in this pickle... a poor job was done negotiating the settlement with the NCAA. We point at the 'better' settlements that Florida State and others have gotten but IMO it had more to do with those schools/states having better representation willing to play hardball when it came time to hammer out an agreement than we did and in the end they were able to negotiate better agreements gaining favor with fewer Tribes whereas our people pretty much layed down for the NCAA and entered into a sketchy agreement that was iffy from the start.

If we would have had the 1 Tribe agreement in the first place like we should have, like almost everybody else did, all this would be moot.

Well, it's time ... we do exactly what the former chair at Standing Rock and ardent anti-moniker mouthpiece Jesse Taken Alive told us to do ...

Name the University of North Dakota sports teams after ... a US Cavalry unit ... the 1st United States Volunteer Cavalry ...

Go RoughRiders.

Dear NCAA, please don't be upset about the "cavalry" implications ... the tribal chair you listened to told us to do it. :D

Just imagine when this is over, and the name is retired (the only way out of this mess) how everyone can focus on the future. What does the future hold for UND sports.....The Big Sky Conference, Playoff Eligibility, hosting a playoff game or maybe a West Regional in hockey, getting out of the Alerus and upgrading Memorial Stadium into a FBS ready field for when the FBS calls us...we will be ready. Look whats ahead when we can get past this final hurdle and see the finish line in front of us.

All the more reason to seriously consider closing up shop on athletics altogether. Better to take your ball and go home than to cower and give in to the ridiculous demands of a bully by selling your soul.

PS - I'm not sure if I really mean this or not, but I do know that the potential loss of the nickname is devastating... much more so than most people think.

Keeping the name will be more devastating at this point than retiring it for some of the reasons I have mentioned before.... scheduling, recruiting, attendance, donations, retention of coaches, enrollment,...

• Upvote 1

So one way or the other the Fighting Sioux program is going to get the death penalty? Nice. :glare:

Explain how changing the name is the death penalty. I don't see how scheduling, recruiting, attendance, retention of coaches or enrollment will be diminished. They will only be enhanced. Donations from hockey fans may fall off temporarily due to the retirement of the Sioux name, but donations from football and basketball fans will likely increase with the increased excitement in joining the Big Sky.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

& to make all you political hacks even happier - I think Carlson will be better off than most who did nothing to save the name - you folks are no better than the other minority that got us here in the 1st place

Everyone who wants to keep the name should contact the NCAA about the TRUTH

memmert@ncaa.org

& to make all you political hacks even happier - I think Carlson will be better off than most who did nothing to save the name - you folks are no better than the other minority that got us here in the 1st place

Do you know the meaning of the word "partisan," because you throw it around like you've never heard the phrase "pot calling the kettle black."

I'm partisan to the name

memmert@ncaa.org

You don't say? We wouldn't have guess that. That said, I contacted the NCAA to let them know the truth. Let's hope it works.

I'm partisan to the name

memmert@ncaa.org

Would that TRUTH include how the State of North Dakota and the NCAA agreed to a settlement, which required UND get approval from two tribes or retire the name? Or is there another TRUTH?

Would that TRUTH include how the State of North Dakota and the NCAA agreed to a settlement, which required UND get approval from two tribes or retire the name? Or is there another TRUTH?

The AG should petition the Court for an amendment of the settlement agreement. From what I see, the Court did not divest itself of jurisdiction so it could be opened up and, given the impossibility of getting a vote at SR and given that SR is mostly in SD and given the ND legislative action, I am sure "cause" could be found somewhere.