SiouxSports.com Forum

What Needs to Happen

GeauxSioux

UPDATE: Higher ed board's talks with Stenehjem on Sioux nickname status delayed

Kelley's staff has contacted the NCAA, seeking dates when leaders of the athletics association would be available to meet in Indianapolis with a North Dakota delegation.

"As far as the board is concerned, it's essentially on hold until we get some dates," board member Grant Shaft said during the morning break. "Then we would go around" to the legislative leaders, the governor's office and other involved parties "and ask, 'Do you want to be involved, and does this date work for you?'"

He said he hopes a meeting can be arranged by late June or early July. He has "received no signals either way" from the NCAA as to whether its leaders are open to a face-to-face meeting, but "I don't know why they wouldn't."

Whichever way it goes, a meeting likely would clarify where UND stands and what the school and the state board need to do, Shaft said.

"My personal view is that a meeting with the NCAA probably would give some finality to the issue," he said. "There are different scenarios and outcomes possible, but all would give us some finality.

"The two more obvious scenarios are, one, the NCAA says 'the policy stands, your legislation doesn't affect us and UND is not in compliance with our policy.' That's what they said in response to passage of the law. Or, two, they say that based on discussions they agree to modify the policy.

"Again, you can speculate on the gamut of responses, but either of those would give us direction. And this has to get resolved so the athletics department can move forward."

Sooner the better.

I respect your points, Jedi, but I disagree with you. If that's the case, then a lot of professors and administrators at UND would have been fired by now like DamStrait said. Hak can say whatever he wants on the issue irrespective of the position he holds.

I would think those professors/administrators position aren't directly at odds with their supervisors.

There is no way the NCAA will modify the policy. They will stick with the original settlement and policy. Talking to the NCAA IMO is a waste of time. They should be overturning that state law NOW!!

I've heard a lot of interviews with UND admin and they say they need to sit down with the NCAA and talk, but it isn't being specified what exactly they want from the NCAA. Do they want the NCAA to void the settlement? Open a renegotiation? What motivation does the NCAA have to do either of those things?

When the simple act of setting up a meeting is this difficult, how does that bode for being granted a concession from the NCAA?

There is no way the NCAA will modify the policy. They will stick with the original settlement and policy. Talking to the NCAA IMO is a waste of time. They should be overturning that state law NOW!!

In the Hennan/Shaft interview, Shaft said that he wanted to discuss the settlement as it pertain to the REA and wanted to have REA people at the meeting. That would be a meaningful and possibly productive discussion. He didn't limit his comments to discussing only REA, but it would be part of the discussion. The idea that the NCAA would capitulate on the remainder of the settlement and allow UND to keep the Sioux name is not plausible. UND will go have on the H&A list August 15th unless something happens in ND.

In the Hennan/Shaft interview, Shaft said that he wanted to discuss the settlement as it pertain to the REA and wanted to have REA people at the meeting. That would be a meaningful and possibly productive discussion. He didn't limit his comments to discussing only REA, but it would be part of the discussion. The idea that the NCAA would capitulate on the remainder of the settlement and allow UND to keep the Sioux name is not plausible. UND will go have on the H&A list August 15th unless something happens in ND.

And UND will be out of the BSC in October.

We are not sure that we will not be in the Big Sky. Everybody on here is like chicken little The sky is falling!!! Just calm down we are not sure what will happen and for blaming Al Carlson he is the only rep that step up to the plate. There has been no leadership on this at all from the beginning. We had three years and nobody took point to get name to stay. The reason?? The powers that be did not want to take sides and get there hands dirty. In no way should Hak be blamed. He was fighting for the name that he believe was special. I do not believe that the Big Sky will kick us out they just want us to be in good standing with the NCAA. If we can not get a good standing with the name then drop it and do not replace it at all.

That would be prudent. Having REA sign on to anything would be a good cause to modify the present settlement agreement's terms. It could be amended to include REA and Judge Jahnke could approve the amended settlement agreement and whatever terms are in it. Perhaps the NCAA would modify given the Spirit Lake Sioux support. Perhaps they'd allow retention of just "Sioux" rather than "Fighting Sioux." Long shot? Maybe. Having REA party to any agreement would provide at least some basis for some changes to the settlement agreement which could favor keeping the nickname and logo for an additional time, at least. Kelley and Faison may have to man up and present a "united front" with REA officials and state legislators to get it done but stranger things have happened. Kelly and Faison and the SBoHE have been a collective canker on the whole process in large part. Kelley and Faison, at least, (and the SBoHE - although some of the members did try) knew of all of the support on the reservations and among alumni and among the state and, irrespective of all of that, simply had eyes for the expedient retiring of the nickname and logo and only that. How disrespectful. Had there been a united front from the beginning, we may not be in this position now. They couldn't have been so naive as to thing that so many people were just going to be ignored and sacrificed at the alter of expediency, right? Al Carlson is NOT why were are here. The legislature is NOT why we are here. The cynical implementation of the settlement agreement "process" is why we are here. The view that the settlement agreement timeline was just an inconvenient but necessary timeline during which the nickname and log would just have to stick around but after which everyone would just go along with their retirement is why we are here. These views existed but have never been acknowledged directly. The reactions of the people involved, including the SBoHE, after the Spirit Lake vote acknowledged these viewpoints for everyone. The legislature and Governor were the only public bodies that showed leadership on this issue and they listened to the people that should have been listened to and should have been allowed to participate in the "process." The bungling of the SBoHE and people like Kelley and Faison and Goetz -- and let's not forget the good academicians and administrators and UND -- are why were are here. Oh, and let's not forget the biased and incomplete coverage provided by the GF Herald. Archie Fool Bear, Steve Fool Bear, Tom Iron, Eunice Davidson, Myra Pearson and so many others on the reservations have been the real advocates. They have been the ones who have conducted themselves in good faith and in an entirely professional manner. If people are looking for villains to blame, a lot of them are right there in Grand Forks pure and simple.

• Upvote 4

Mac Schneider was on with Joel Heitkamp yesterday.

In his interview Mac references an interview with Al Carlson. Here is Carlson's interview....

http://www.kfgo.com/uploads/06132011AlCarlson.mp3

Joel: "Had you known that this would put UND's memeberhip in the Big Sky conference at risk, which was talked about at the time, would you still have voted for and sponsored this bill? "

Carlson: "Ya know, I still think that, ahh, Yes, I would have...."

Thanks Al.

Well, there you go, Mr. Carlson. Time to give up that charade and move on.

But ... but, maybe if he could just have a "heart to heart" with them over tea and cookies, I'm sure they'd see the light. :glare:

After all, Clueless Al managed to convince an entire legislature, that was effectively MIA on this issue previously, to drive UND athletics into a ditch. Maybe he can turn the school into a two-year vo-tech next session ...

But ... but, maybe if he could just have a "heart to heart" with them over tea and cookies, I'm sure they'd see the light. :glare:

After all, Clueless Al managed to convince an entire legislature, that was effectively MIA on this issue previously, to drive UND athletics into a ditch. Maybe he can turn the school into a two-year vo-tech next session ...

I believe it is Al Carlson's and Bob Skarphol's wish to have all of the NDUS turned into vo-tech schools.

I think that the NCAA should be done away with ASAP. Schools like Ohio State can cheat left and right and have players selling stuff and coaches lie about it and they will have less done to them then UND. All because of a nickname. WOW, NCAA way to show that all you really care about is money from big schools, they are showing that they just want to push around a school from North Dakota to show they still have power. I honestly was Proud of UND and the State for someone finally standing up to these effing idiots.

Oh No not getting into the Big Sky conference would be sooooo bad. Let trade the Sioux name for a third rate conference that no one really cares about. That sounds like a great idea.

Translated: All I care about is hockey and the entire athletic department means nothing to me or the other myopic hockey douches.

• Upvote 3

Oh No not getting into the Big Sky conference would be sooooo bad. Let trade the Sioux name for a third rate conference that no one really cares about. That sounds like a great idea.

Getting the boot from the Big Sky would have a ripple effect in the athletic department that would not be pretty and would be a detriment to the University as a whole.

Name a conference that is going to invite UND, if UND gets booted from the Big Sky. Without a conference, scheduling and recruiting would be virtually impossible. Coaches would leave. Fans would stop coming to games. Donations would dry up. Enrollment would drop.

Hockey would not be free from the ensuing chaos. If UND gets places on the H&A list again, you will see scheduling problems for both of the hockey teams as well.

Do you see how this can snowball?

• Upvote 2

Translated: All I care about is hockey and the entire athletic department means nothing to me or the other myopic hockey douches.

No that is not what it means, so you only care about football and basketball? No it means, sometimes you have to stand up and fight for what is right. If the NCAA really gave a crap about Native American names then big schools like Florida State and Utah would be transitioning to a new name too, bu this is a power play by the NCAA to push a small school around in a small state just because they think they can. I cheer for all UND sports and I hope they do well. But someone has to stand up and say enough is enough.

Oh and one more thing, are all hockey fans douches to you? That is a sad statement. I did not call you a single name, so please refrain from not speaking out of your ass about me

The long version of the NCAA statement. by Chuck Haga.

UND Athletic Director Brian Faison said the statement “is consistent with the NCAA position throughout the process, so it’s not a surprise.”

But he said it underscores that “timing continues to be a concern in terms of getting this situation addressed,” perhaps through legislative action. But the Legislature, which could revisit the nickname law adopted earlier this year, isn’t expected to convene again until November, when it is scheduled to hold a brief redistricting session.

Members of the Big Sky Conference will meet again in October and are expected to take up UND’s situation again at that time.

“You’d like to be in position of having a process in play so we could walk through it with the Big Sky presidents’ council,” Faison said. “But if the earlier this can be addressed (by the Legislature) is November, then so be it.”

To reassure Big Sky leaders, “there would have to be a clear public statement and action by the Legislature,” Faison said.

Questions that need to be asked... What are the implications should UND violate the state law and retire the name/logo? What kind of enforcement is there? What are the implications?

Does funding get cut off? Does someone get put in jail because of a well-intention, but reckless law was put on the books?

Edit: I know there are laws on the books in a lot of states that are not enforced, usually because they are outdated. Perhaps this is a law that can be unenforced until such time as it is repealed. I readily admit, I don't have a legal mind.

Edited by GeauxSioux