SiouxSports.com Forum

What Needs to Happen

GeauxSioux

"The nickname legislation was authored by House Majority Leader Al Carlson, R-Fargo, and handily passed both legislative chambers after a ferocious email campaign mounted by nickname supporters, including UND hockey Coach Dave Hakstol"

How do you move forward when the athletic department itself is split on this? Hak's role here seems to be the elephant in the room. If you are Faison how do you handle Hak?

How do you move forward when the athletic department itself is split on this? Hak's role here seems to be the elephant in the room. If you are Faison how do you handle Hak?

Hak is probably going to be disappointed, just as are thousands of loyal Fighting Sioux fans.

But the coach is also a pretty smart guy who surely understands what is at stake now for the rest of the athletic department.

Hak is probably going to be disappointed, just as are thousands of loyal Fighting Sioux fans.

But the coach is also a pretty smart guy who surely understands what is at stake now for the rest of the athletic department.

I like Hak, a lot. I think he's a great coach, but UND has an elite college hockey program and he can be replaced. If he can't get in line with what's in the best interest of the entire school, he needs to go.

Link to Schneider's Letter

More negative than positive - more in line with against the name - No Real HELP at all - just more partisan Politics - more bottom of the bird cage liner from the Herald

I like Hak, a lot. I think he's a great coach, but UND has an elite college hockey program and he can be replaced. If he can't get in line with what's in the best interest of the entire school, he needs to go.

Jedi if you think Hakstol is going to get fired from UND you're really not up to date on UND athletics. Hakstol has taken his teams to Five Frozen Fours in seven season he isn't going anywhere.

I think you're right MikeJM...

Jedi if you think Hakstol is going to get fired from UND you're really not up to date on UND athletics. Hakstol has taken his teams to Five Frozen Fours in seven season he isn't going anywhere.

Hak is not going anywhere and neither is Roebuck. Those 2 guys have been the most vocal on the Sioux name out of the coaches of the major sports. If they fire them based on opinion only then there are major problems at UND.

I said I think Hak is a great coach and I like him. However, I don't think he is irreplaceable because UND has an elite college hockey program -- a tradition that started long before Hak came along. Hak is not a God.

Hak is not going anywhere and neither is Roebuck. Those 2 guys have been the most vocal on the Sioux name out of the coaches of the major sports. If they fire them based on opinion only then there are major problems at UND.

Of course, Hak is entitled to his opinion. But he can be legitimately fired for being obstructionist and acting outside the best interests of the University of North Dakota. IMO, the e-mail campaign he initiated in support of Al Carlson's legislation was purely about men's hockey. If he cared about other sports at UND, he wouldn't have done it.

I agree with you...

I said I think Hak is a great coach and I like him. However, I don't think he is irreplaceable because UND has an elite college hockey program -- a tradition that started long before Hak came along. Hak is not a God.

Of course, Hak is entitled to his opinion. But he can be legitimately fired for being obstructionist and acting outside the best interests of the University of North Dakota. IMO, the e-mail campaign he initiated in support of Al Carlson's legislation was purely about men's hockey. If he cared about other sports at UND, he wouldn't have done it.

Can you blame Hak?? He may not have an arena for his team to play in if the REA changes, so of course he would be vocal about the bill. But if he had to choose between losing a name or sports he would say goodbye to the name and I think the REA is going to feel the same way. Without Sioux hockey what good is the REA (besides holding concerts and GFRR and GFC hockey).

ND attorney general talks with Board of Higher Education on Fighting Sioux nickname delayed

North Dakota's Board of Higher Education has delayed talks with Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem (STEN'-juhm) on the status of the University of North Dakota's Fighting Sioux nickname.

Stenehjem intended to meet with the board Thursday during its meeting at Minot State University. The attorney general has to attend a meeting of the state Industrial Commission in Bismarck instead.

Board President Jon Backes (BAH'-kus) says Stenehjem is willing to meet with the board later, and Backes says it could happen in July or August.

Not good. ???

May I suggest a conference call?

Carlson: Legislature Doing the Will of the People in Passing Fighting Sioux Nickname Legislation, Holds Out Hope for NCAA Meeting

Label this under What does NOT need to Happen"...

Carlson said he disagrees with Schneider and maintains hope for the meeting. “There are new people there, and we need to sit down and talk about why we represented the people [of ND] the way we did.”

“We’d better be well prepared and have really good explanations as to why we think that name should remain and how it is not hostile and abusive,” Carlson stated regarding a meeting with the NCAA. “We’ll sell that case, and obviously if it doesn’t work, then we will find out.”

On second that maybe Carlson needs to hear from the NCAA how stupid this sounds at this point before they show him the door.

• Upvote 1

July or August?!? Seriously, Stenjeum has meetings every fricken day that his calendar isn't open for 1-2 months? This is getting worse. :angry:

The Board typically meets monthly, which is why he is saying July or August. That is what prompted me to say conference call.

Edit: From today's SBoHE agenda...

Announcements

Future Board Meetings

 September 15

On second that maybe Carlson needs to hear from the NCAA how stupid this sounds at this point before they show him the door.

Everyone seems to think that Carlson did this to further his political career. If I was in charge of the ND Dem party, I'd be on the phone today getting Mac Schneider to run against him for the U.S. House.

Yes, an enter the lawsuit for being fired for expressing that opinion.

There is a limitation on Hak's freedom of expression. He can't say and do whatever he wants. If he actively lobbies for a cause that harms the university and stands in the way of the university's long-term vision of what's best for its athletic department, he is no longer just expressing his opinion and he can be fired for being a cancer. I am not saying it will come to that, but he's going to have to get in line with what's best for the athletic department.

There is a limitation on Hak's freedom of expression. He can't say and do whatever he wants. If he actively lobbies for a cause that harms the university and stands in the way of the university's long-term vision of what's best for its athletic department, he is no longer just expressing his opinion and he can be fired for being a cancer. I am not saying it will come to that, but he's going to have to get in line with what's best for the athletic department.

If that's the case, then that flaming jackass Leigh Jeanotte would have and should have been fired years ago.

I respect your points, Jedi, but I disagree with you. If that's the case, then a lot of professors and administrators at UND would have been fired by now like DamStrait said. Hak can say whatever he wants on the issue irrespective of the position he holds.

If that's the case, then that flaming jackass Leigh Jeanotte would have and should have been fired years ago.

What's with the personal attacks! Though I agree with your sentiment, why would you resort to calling Leigh a name like that? I violently disagree with Leigh when it comes to the nickname and logo, and I have told him as much. But nowhere in my dealings with him have I ever thought that he acted as you describe him just because of an ideological difference. Leigh is a nice person and a gentleman who has strong opinions. I think they are misguided opinions rooted in fallacious ideology but that does not make him any less of a person. Wow! We are better than this, aren't we?