SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I am shocked by some of the stupidity on these message boards. There are actually people who prefer Sun Dogs over North Dakota. I understand people not being a fan of no nickname; but to be willing to accept anything over remaining North Dakota shocks me.

Sun Dogs is absolutely laughable, I would take flickertails 100 times over before sun dogs. unbelievable.

Agreed.  "Sun Dogs" is an absolute non-starter.  At least with "North Dakota", a nickname can be added later and the cooling off period can be extended.  "North Dakota" is marketable.  We've had the best nickname and logo and we're not going to simply replace them and further disrespect the noble people who gave them to us.  We're going to take a path that's not been traveled by anyone and people, especially recruits/athletes, will know why we've taken it.  This is called having a backbone.  This is called respecting a heritage and doing something to preserve it.  This is called having a courageous and independent mindset.  Any recruit should be interested, accordingly.  The usual PC zealots should be all for it because one can import or read into it any nickname one wants.   

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Agreed.  "Sun Dogs" is an absolute non-starter.  At least with "North Dakota", a nickname can be added later and the cooling off period can be extended.  "North Dakota" is marketable.  

"Cooling off period can be extended".  LOL.  I think we are all ice cold by now.  

'North Dakota' is not marketable, as merchandise sales have shown.  Solely using Notre Dame's logo for our marketing/merchandising is a great way to insure we keep our revenues down.  

The "ND" logo will always be around, just as it has always been around before.  But using it by itself has proven to be "meh".  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Let's walk the list: 

Blaze - someone missed the smoking of elicit substances issue with this one, or Glen Beck's network (that liberals hate)

Cavalry - there actually was cavalry in ND

Explorers - oh, goody, "the X Men", but that's sexist

Fighting Green - the fighting green what ... two adjectives do not make a nickname 

Fighting Hawks - when do they play the mighty ducks?

Force - mass times acceleration; Glen Lykken and Bill Schwalm submit this one?*

Green Hawks - so, follow Miami (Red Hawks) and Dickinson State (Blue Hawks); how imaginative and novel

Nodaks - that's an abbreviation, not a nickname (will the Gophers follow and rename as the Minns?) 

North Dakota - as I've said, no nickname is not a nickname

North Stars - not in favor of a neighboring state's nickname (unless Rushmores gets added to the list) 

Pride - it's not just one of the seven deadly sins anymore

Roughriders - some don't like it, I get it, but it follows the TR image of (especially western) ND

Spirit - did Hal Gershman submit this ... wine and Spirits ... I thought they wanted fewer alcohol inferences on campus

Sundogs - just no; the group that started this mess submitted this mess; flat out divisive at this point

Thunderhawks - Southern Utah anyone ... anyone ... and their thunderbirds, no thanks; and if Nokota is too native so is thunder(any bird) **

*We'll pick out the folks that hung around Witmer Hall fast now, won't we. 
**And thunderbird is ... alcohol ... < gasp! > 

if "Explorers" ends up being the new nickname...are we going to have Dora as the mascot?! What a dumb choice....

• Upvote 1

I swear to God I will never abandon UND athletics and its athletes no matter what nickname they wear. My passion for the school and its sports programs is much deeper than that.  I'm all in.  

Even if they pick a name like "Green Hawks" or "Fighting Green" or "Thunder Hawks"?  Those names are essentially an experiment into how bad a name can be before the fans leave from sheer embarrassment.

Even if they pick a name like "Green Hawks" or "Fighting Green" or "Thunder Hawks"?  Those names are essentially an experiment into how bad a name can be before the fans leave from sheer embarrassment.

... kinda like Ermines ... ;):D 

• Upvote 3

Yes, those of us that have an actual vested interest in the University will support it regardless.  Your opinion is coming from "marketing expert" who thinks a nickname that leads to UNDERMINES is a good idea.  Not to mention that a ermine is a weasel that is basically only good for its fur.

"Cooling off period can be extended".  LOL.  I think we are all ice cold by now.  

'North Dakota' is not marketable, as merchandise sales have shown.  Solely using Notre Dame's logo for our marketing/merchandising is a great way to insure we keep our revenues down.  

The "ND" logo will always be around, just as it has always been around before.  But using it by itself has proven to be "meh".  

As to the lower merchandise sales, people are still buying Fighting Sioux materials.  One must consider the lower sales in light of that reality.  

• Upvote 1

Yes, those of us that have an actual vested interest in the University will support it regardless.  Your opinion is coming from "marketing expert" who thinks a nickname that leads to UNDERMINES is a good idea.  Not to mention that a ermine is a weasel that is basically only good for its fur.

Draping yourself in ermine during a cold night game is not a bad thing.  You could have had school spirit and a comfortable fan experience.

Your only two reasonable options left are North Stars and Explorers.  

Your lack of knowledge on the subject is shining through if you think that North Stars is one of only two reasonable options.  Picking the state motto of a neighboring state seems real logical...

• Upvote 1

Your only two reasonable options left are North Stars and Explorers.  

State of Minnesota is known as the "North Star State."

LaSalle University uses Explorers so it's not unique to Universities/Colleges.

In your infinite wisdom, please explain why neither Roughriders and Cavalry reasonable.

I think we need to start flooding some of the committee members with emails concerning the final 15.  Karl was quoted as saying some random lady he bumped into in Colorado liked the idea of Spirit and now he's warming up to that idea.  If he received "a few" emails explaining why we shouldn't choose Spirit, maybe he will cool to the idea.

Your lack of knowledge on the subject is shining through if you think that North Stars is one of only two reasonable options.  Picking the state motto of a neighboring state seems real logical...

State of Minnesota is known as the "North Star State."

LaSalle University uses Explorers so it's not unique to Universities/Colleges.

In your infinite wisdom, please explain why neither Roughriders and Cavalry reasonable.

I am acutely aware of that, but apparently it doesn't bother the committee.  And it's easily the most marketable remaining name.  

And Cavalry?  They're killing the previous name because it references Native Americans.  They're not going to pick a new name that honors people who killed Native Americans.  I can't believe that it's still on the list.  It shouldn't have made the first cut from a political correctness standpoint.

As for Roughriders, if you guys want Roughriders you can have it.  You can wear dungarees and accompany your flappers to the game, perhaps even sneaking in some hooch. 

• Downvote 1

I think we need to start flooding some of the committee members with emails concerning the final 15.  Karl was quoted as saying some random lady he bumped into in Colorado liked the idea of Spirit and now he's warming up to that idea.  If he received "a few" emails explaining why we shouldn't choose Spirit, maybe he will cool to the idea.

I tried that with Ermines, and they didn't listen.  And I'm from Colorado.  But I'm glad to help you kill the Spirit.