SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

The name is gone, Chief.

oH thanks for filling me in on that.  Gone.. Got it...

Oh wait, there it is^^.  It's back.  Weeew!! I thought it was gone..  Oh my?  Maybe it was just back for a second?

Oh wait again, there it is again vv !!

Just to be clear you can be a fan and supporter of UND and still have feelings of respect and historical pride for the name Fighting Sioux. Being "Sioux Forever" doesn't mean you aren't willing to move ahead. 

• Upvote 3

Just to be clear you can be a fan and supporter of UND and still have feelings of respect and historical pride for the name Fighting Sioux. Being "Sioux Forever" doesn't mean you aren't willing to move ahead.

Does it really seem like they are willing to move ahead? All they talk about is the past.

...and if it is, we will be right back here starting from scratch in 5 years or less. Not a scare tactic, but do you think that the people that shouted down the Sioux nickname won't start a campaign to find a politically correct name themselves? Jeanotte is probably already getting a plan ready because people are still yelling "Sioux", whether it has anything to do with having a nickname in place or not.

Grand Forks Central tried "Maroon and Grey" because nobody wanted to move on. That lasted all of two years.

The Redskins Forever zealots promoted the idea of just being "Grand Forks Central" with that boring interlocking G and F as the official logo because "that says it all!".  Only it didn't "say it all", it "said NOTHING AT all".

So if it wasn't workable for a high school, why would it be workable for a regional, four-year, research-intensive university with both a national and international reach and with a lot more at stake with regard to merchandising and brand identification?

The short answer is it wouldn't be workable.  And it makes ZERO sense to pick "North Dakota" when this whole process is almost guarranteed to repeat itself in a couple of years.

Contrary to what some people here think, there are several names that would serve us well: Roughriders, Aviators, Bombers, North Stars or Stars and probably a few others as well.  Pick one of those, come up with a marketable logo and put this issue behind us.  We will not ever be able to focus on becoming a top-notch mid-major Division I institution if we don't settle this issue once and for all.

Grand Forks Central tried "Maroon and Grey" because nobody wanted to move on. That lasted all of two years.

The Redskins Forever zealots promoted the idea of just being "Grand Forks Central" with that boring interlocking G and F as the official logo because "that says it all!". Only it didn't "say it all", it "said NOTHING At all".

I thought we already covered how much of a weakly thought out comparison a highschool vs. a major college was with respect to this issue?

Pick one of those, come up with a marketable logo and put this issue behind us. We will not ever be able to focus on becoming a top-notch mid-major Division I institution if we don't settle this issue once and for all.

I love the, "if you say it it makes it true" aspect of the sky is falling crowd on this forum.

I would love for junior to explain the rational behind this one. Just how exactly is the schools nickname issue holding us back? Disallowing us to focus on being top notch? Is it that the committee's focus would otherwise be attending to somthing else like perhaps the acquisition of an internatonal cancer research grant? Maybe its chairman would have had more time to spend with McIntire and he might have made two more saves in Boston? Of course if I keep saying this stuff it makes it true right? OK, I'll try some more. UND will NEVER have the Sioux nickname again. Wow now that is a fact. This is so amazing... I'll keep going. If we change our name to the Sundogs we will win a national championship in 2017, 2018 AND 2020. BUT if we change our name to the North Stars we will not win a championship until 2026( three years after we move the program to North Dakota State and change the name from the North Stars to just the Stars, being in fargo and all.)...

International success is a coming, go Aviators!!

I do hope that our Aviation program doesn't fall on rough times after we change our name to the Aviators.

Oh wait a minute, I'm now one of you. I can declare the future. Sweet!!

If we change the name to the Aviators we will become a preeminent international aviation program training 63.5% of all airline pilots in the world.

However, I will tell you that if we pick the Roughriders our Aviation program will diminish as pilot training will become out-sourced in large part to the Philippines and India..

That's a FACT. so get over it and move on Junior!

...ahhh so fun....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I thought we already covered how much of a weakly thought out comparison a highschool vs. a major college was with respect to this issue?

I love the, "if you say it it makes it true" aspect of the sky is falling crowd on this forum.

I would love for junior to explain the rational behind this one. Just how exactly is the schools nickname issue holding us back? Disallowing us to focus on being top notch? Is it that the committee's focus would otherwise be attending to somthing else like perhaps the acquisition of an internatonal cancer research grant? Maybe its chairman would have had more time to spend with McIntire and he might have made two more saves in Boston? Of course if I keep saying this stuff it makes it true right? OK, I'll try some more. UND will NEVER have the Sioux nickname again. Wow now that is a fact. This is so amazing... I'll keep going. If we change our name to the Sundogs we will win a national championship in 2017, 2018 AND 2020. BUT if we change our name to the North Stars we will not win a championship until 2026( three years after we move the program to North Dakota State and change the name from the North Stars to just the Stars, being in fargo and all.)...

International success is a coming, go Aviators!!

I do hope that our Aviation program doesn't fall on rough times after we change our name to the Aviators.

Oh wait a minute, I'm now one of you. I can declare the future. Sweet!!

If we change the name to the Aviators we will become a preeminent international aviation program training 63.5% of all airline pilots in the world.

However, I will tell you that if we pick the Roughriders our Aviation program will diminish as pilot training will become out-sourced in large part to the Philippines and India..

That's a FACT. so get over it and move on Junior!

...ahhh so fun....

Lol...this is good stuff!

Now.......the rebuttal, go....

DOOM AND GLOOM!

In the Fargo Forum today there is a letter "Dakota nickname could spell more trouble for UND" in the Opinion/Commentary section full of verbal nausea about the nickname process/issue. The crux of the letter is "We recommend having a representative group of American Indian delegates meet with the task force in the selection process". It was signed by 13 "we know what's best" individuals.

How about these 13 put forth their efforts in standing up to and fixing the generational societal plagues that run rampant on the reservations in this state...day after day, year after year.

In the Fargo Forum today there is a letter "Dakota nickname could spell more trouble for UND" in the Opinion/Commentary section full of verbal nausea about the nickname process/issue. The crux of the letter is "We recommend having a representative group of American Indian delegates meet with the task force in the selection process". It was signed by 13 "we know what's best" individuals.

How about these 13 put forth their efforts in standing up to and fixing the generational societal plagues that run rampant on the reservations in this state...day after day, year after year.

You might be right, but all this does is showcase the reason a new nickname will need to be chosen. If it is left at just North Dakota, expect more of this with much more teeth.

Any link?

You might be right, but all this does is showcase the reason a new nickname will need to be chosen. If it is left at just North Dakota, expect more of this with much more teeth.

Let me get this straight, the Native Americans are complaining about North Dakota.  Well, here is my answer, go to South Dakota and complain.  Isn't that what they told the people in ND when we went to them for a vote of the people?  If it isn't this, they will complain about the green wave because it has no native connotation.  I am sick and tired of them wanting a seat at the table when they got their way in the first place.  

Let me get this straight, the Native Americans are complaining about North Dakota. Well, here is my answer, go to South Dakota and complain. Isn't that what they told the people in ND when we went to them for a vote of the people? If it isn't this, they will complain about the green wave because it has no native connotation. I am sick and tired of them wanting a seat at the table when they got their way in the first place.

Put a new nickname in place following the process that has already been put in place. But, do it expediently.

The process allowed everyone a place at the table. They won't have grounds for a complaint. Unless no name is chosen, which leaves the defacto name as the Fighting Sioux. Then, they may have grounds to complain.

Don't allow that option to exist.

http://www.inforum.com/letters/3755844-letter-dakota-nickname-could-spell-more-trouble-und

Hook, line, and sinker, to a few on here already!

With their complaints on how a nickname gets abused in the heat of competition, what name would work?!

Wow!!

Fargo Forum is loving all of this!

Hook, line and sinker how?

Just another example of giving the squeaky wheel and those with hurt feelings more publicity when in fact their opinion at this stage should not matter one bit. They all had their say already.

• Upvote 1

Hook, line and sinker how?

Just another example of giving the squeaky wheel and those with hurt feelings more publicity when in fact their opinion at this stage should not matter one bit. They all had their say already.

13 people sign a ridiculous complaint and everyone acts like it is a majority, eerily similar to how the Sioux lost their nickname to begin with?

Just remember these 13 people are not all the native Americans out there that should be helping their reservations instead of doing this! They are a select few, just like the people that got rid of the name in the first place.