SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Indiana - "The Hoosier State"

Iowa - "The Hawkeye State"

Nebraska - "The Cornhusker State"

North Carolina - "The Tar Heel State"

Ohio - "The Buckeye State"

Oklahoma - "The Sooner State"

Oregon - "The Beaver State"

Wisconsin - "The Badger State"

Anyone see a pattern here?  These state nicknames are all mascots for schools IN THAT STATE!!  Minnesota is "The North Star State."  UND picking "North Stars" just doesn't make sense.  I am not advocating for the UND "Peace Gardeners", just pointing out that schools that pick state nicknames as their mascots always reside in that state.

That's the debate, some think the NHL owns the rights and other say the Stars own the rights. Do the Coyotes still own the rights to the old Winnipeg Jets logo?

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_20286932/tom-powers-state-hockey-finally-traces-nhl-origins

The jersey thing is brought up about halfway through the article.

I think they still could used the old New England Patriots logo when I was there which was when New England Patriots had the logo they have now. From what I've seen now they have a similar logo to the New England Patriots, ever since I graduated from the school they have a new logo.

Thanks for the article, I wasn't aware of this.  I do believe Powers is incorrect, however.  If push comes to shove, I can get a source saying that the NHL owns it.  The Winnipeg Jets own the trademark to the Winnipeg Jets.

Yes, it would be extremely odd if the UofM Golden Gophers were named after their neighboring Flickertail state and if UND North Stars were named after their neighboring North Star state.

Minnesota's nickname doesn't come from North Dakota but from a cartoon depicting corruption in their legislature. :D 

Personally, I'd be wholly against using a rival state's motto as our University's nickname. We can do far better. 

We could also do way..... way... worse

Its a middle ground for me. 

They said they would put out the whole list of accepted names for the public before whittling down right... I thought I read that in the herald somewhere.

Indiana - "The Hoosier State"

Iowa - "The Hawkeye State"

Nebraska - "The Cornhusker State"

North Carolina - "The Tar Heel State"

Ohio - "The Buckeye State"

Oklahoma - "The Sooner State"

Oregon - "The Beaver State"

Wisconsin - "The Badger State"

Anyone see a pattern here?  These state nicknames are all mascots for schools IN THAT STATE!!  Minnesota is "The North Star State."  UND picking "North Stars" just doesn't make sense.  I am not advocating for the UND "Peace Gardeners", just pointing out that schools that pick state nicknames as their mascots always reside in that state.

Actually, Minnesota is "The Gopher State". 

Thanks for the article, I wasn't aware of this.  I do believe Powers is incorrect, however.  If push comes to shove, I can get a source saying that the NHL owns it.  The Winnipeg Jets own the trademark to the Winnipeg Jets.

I did find that True North Sport & Entertainment (who owns the Winnipeg Jets) bought all of the old Jets trademarks from the NHL, because the NHL owned the Jets/Coyotes since the team moved to Phoenix.

I did find that True North Sport & Entertainment (who owns the Winnipeg Jets) bought all of the old Jets trademarks from the NHL, because the NHL owned the Jets/Coyotes since the team moved to Phoenix.

Right.  If I recall correctly, the NHL owns the trademarks for all of its old/retired franchises.  I do know for a fact that the NHL owns the Minnesota North Stars trademark though.

I think being ok with North Stars, but thinking Roughriders is out of the question because of Red River is a unique form of hypocrisy.

I agree.... It's sort of the same hypocrisy as being in favor of Roughriders which brings to mind a cavalry from New Mexico, Arizona, and other southwest states- but then not being in favor of North Stars, which brings to mind a neighboring state.

For the record, both names suck. :-)

So is Red River HS the "Roughriders" because they are kids from Las Cruses and Tempe or because that's the name given to people who follow Teddy Roosevelt's lead?

You know Teddy: North Dakota's greatest advocate; the New Yorker who said he wouldn't have been a US President if not for his time in North Dakota; Nobel Prize winner, Congressional Medal of Honor winner. 

So is Red River HS the "Roughriders" because they are kids from Las Cruses and Tempe or because that's the name given to people who follow Teddy Roosevelt's lead?

You know Teddy: North Dakota's greatest advocate; the New Yorker who said he wouldn't have been a US President if not for his time in North Dakota; Nobel Prize winner, Congressional Medal of Honor winner.

They are the Roughriders because apparently no one in that school district knows anything about American history.

Right.  This is obviously why Red River has its nickname.

They are the Roughriders because apparently no one in that school district knows anything about American history.

Some people need to stop actually so intentionally obtuse.  Everyone here knows that the Roughrider nickname derives from Roosevelt's nexus to North Dakota and not out of some misunderstanding or devotion to cavalry men from the southwest.  Red River's logo is literally that of Teddy Roosevelt, himself.  But, apparently every school district in North Dakota needs a history lesson then: Central Knights; Fargo North Spartans; Century Patriots; Bismarck Demons; etc.  What does those nicknames have to do with North Dakota?

So the only two schools with legitimate nicknames in a North Dakota context are Wahpeton and Larimore? ;):D

Cavalier....ND has Tornadoes, oh and Fargo South....GF residents just spotted a bruin first hand. ;). I think UND can get by with Jets as a nickname without using Winnipeg's logo (since we won't use a maple leaf) or use the New York Jets logo. As for North Stars...that name belongs to Minnesota not at UND.

Cavalier....ND has Tornadoes, oh and Fargo South....GF residents just spotted a bruin first hand. ;). I think UND can get by with Jets as a nickname without using Winnipeg's logo (since we won't use a maple leaf) or use the New York Jets logo. As for North Stars...that name belongs to Minnesota not at UND.

Well, we could always just take it from them, like we did with Zach Parise.

I think just using "Stars" instead of "North Stars", with a unique logo, would work.  Although I think someone on here would find something in Webster's Dictionary that disqualifies that too. :silly:

Some people here need to get over this idea that anything that anybody uses at any level of sports is off-limits.  There really aren't that many unique names that aren't being used by someone.  Whatever is picked, a unique logo can be designed to help distinguish ourselves.  That is the best we can do in our current situation.

I think just using "Stars" instead of "North Stars", with a unique logo, would work. Although I think someone on here would find something in Webster's Dictionary that disqualifies that too. :silly:

Some people here need to get over this idea that anything that anybody uses at any level of sports is off-limits. There really aren't that many unique names that aren't being used by someone. Whatever is picked, a unique logo can be designed to help distinguish ourselves. That is the best we can do in our current situation.

I like Stars over "North" Stars too, how about UND Fighting Stars?

Right. This is obviously why Red River has its nickname.

Some people need to stop actually so intentionally obtuse. Everyone here knows that the Roughrider nickname derives from Roosevelt's nexus to North Dakota and not out of some misunderstanding or devotion to cavalry men from the southwest. Red River's logo is literally that of Teddy Roosevelt, himself. But, apparently every school district in North Dakota needs a history lesson then: Central Knights; Fargo North Spartans; Century Patriots; Bismarck Demons; etc. What does those nicknames have to do with North Dakota?

Calling me obtuse kinda loses it's punch when you fail to make a complete sentence out of it.

My point above was I find it ironic some people are totally against North Stars since it's been used by Minnesota, yet, Roughriders is fine with them despite already being the name of a local high school, and an inaccurate 'honoring' of North Dakota history.

Calling me obtuse kinda loses it's punch when you fail to make a complete sentence out of it.

My point above was I find it ironic some people are totally against North Stars since it's been used by Minnesota, yet, Roughriders is fine with them despite already being the name of a local high school, and an inaccurate 'honoring' of North Dakota history.

You're right.  I accidentally wrote "actually" instead of "acting" on an internet message board.  Thank you for taking the time to point that out, and keep up the good work!

While there may be better options, when it comes to North Dakota history, there is nothing inaccurate about honoring Teddy Roosevelt.  Nothing at all.