SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I am pretty sure that Stars and North Stars are owned by the Dallas franchise of the NHL.  One of the criteria is that a name can't be chosen if it is owned (trademarked) by someone else.  It is possible that they are doing their due diligence to see if it is possible to obtain use of either Stars of North Stars in case the name is popular.  It wouldn't mean that the name has been chosen, only that they are following through on the process.  Neither name can even be on the list to be considered as long as the trademark is controlled by someone else.

Actually, UND could go with "Stars" or "North Stars".  No one owns exclusive rights to those words.  Hence, the plethora of sports teams around the country with the same nicknames.  On the other hand, trademarked logos are another issue.

Actually, UND could go with "Stars" or "North Stars".  No one owns exclusive rights to those words.  Hence, the plethora of sports teams around the country with the same nicknames.  On the other hand, trademarked logos are another issue.

Actually, sports nicknames can be trademarked.  It has been discussed several times that the Washington Redskins was trademarked, but different groups were trying to get that trademark removed because the term is considered to be a disparaging word by many people.  I've lost track of whether they finally lost the trademark or not.  Words can be trademark for specific uses.  Some really general words are much more difficult to trademark.  Many of the repeat sports nicknames were in use before anyone trademarked them.  And some repeats are being used illegally, but the owners have not pursued their removal.  I don't know for sure whether Stars and North Stars are trademarked, but most professional nicknames are so I assume that they are.

https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/is-your-favorite-team-breaking-the-law-trademark-battles-in-the-sports

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/trademark-issues-with-use-of-college-names-logos-mascots/

Actually, sports nicknames can be trademarked.  It has been discussed several times that the Washington Redskins was trademarked, but different groups were trying to get that trademark removed because the term is considered to be a disparaging word by many people.  I've lost track of whether they finally lost the trademark or not.  Words can be trademark for specific uses.  Some really general words are much more difficult to trademark.  Many of the repeat sports nicknames were in use before anyone trademarked them.  And some repeats are being used illegally, but the owners have not pursued their removal.  I don't know for sure whether Stars and North Stars are trademarked, but most professional nicknames are so I assume that they are.

https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/is-your-favorite-team-breaking-the-law-trademark-battles-in-the-sports

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/trademark-issues-with-use-of-college-names-logos-mascots/

Fighting Sioux is another example.  Also the reason that you see unofficial/unlicensed clothing that will say "Sioux" but not "Fighting Sioux" as the former is not considered a violation.

I would be okay with North Stars...on the college level that is pretty unique. Minnesota fans will lose their minds.

My main fear is that we choose some bland name that 10 other schools currently use. Heck there were two "Mavericks in the old WCHA."

Pretty sure the Tri City North Stars did not have to get exclusive rights from the Dallas Stars to use the name.  Which brings up another point.  So no one wants to be the Roughriders because there is a High School in Grand Forks with the same nickname, but using the same name as our barely semi pro football team is OK?!!  Also, Minnesota is the "orth Star State"  That would be so dumb to pick North Stars.

Okay, all of the cool kids are making a final-day push for Ermines.

Going with Ermines will be the best marketing idea the school has ever had.  It's unique, it's identifiable to North Dakota, it's both fierce and adorable, and it's above any potential criticism.  How can you not like a logo with these possibilities?

ERMINES!  Go suggest it now.  Do it. 

8951916075c3b9ed55eb73b5bed06a05.jpg

You're either on something or onto something. I'm not sure which

Pretty sure the Tri City North Stars did not have to get exclusive rights from the Dallas Stars to use the name.  Which brings up another point.  So no one wants to be the Roughriders because there is a High School in Grand Forks with the same nickname, but using the same name as our barely semi pro football team is OK?!!  Also, Minnesota is the "orth Star State"  That would be so dumb to pick North Stars.

Go with just plain "Stars".  Sure, it's a little bland, but it's better than a lot of alternatives (Prairie Dogs, Sun Dogs, Spirit, Flames, Green and White, etc.).

Tri-City is called the Stars not sure when or if they were ever called the North Stars. Century found out what happens when you use a logo that a NHL team owns.

It's possible that North Stars or Stars are not trademarked, although I doubt that.  It is possible that the trademark is written to cover hockey but not other sports, or the restriction is written in a different way.  Not all trademarks are written to eliminate all potential other uses.  It is possible that Tri-City actually got permission.  It is also possible that they didn't bother to get permission, but that Dallas either hasn't heard about it or just hasn't done anything yet.  I wouldn't assume anything about the use without having more information.

I also wouldn't assume that North Stars or Stars is the front runner at this point.  As I said in an earlier post, they would have to do all of this work just exploring the trademark issue before the names could even be put on the list to be considered.  They could do all of this work researching the name and then decide that the name didn't work or that others were better choices for the final ballot.  Exploring the availability of a trademark is just part of the process.

You're right.  That's exactly why I never said that nicknames can't be trademarked.  Instead, I appropriately limited my statement to "UND could go with 'Stars' or 'North Stars'.  No one owns exclusive rights to those words."  Trademark laws are nuanced and riddled with exceptions that www.legalzoom.com may not discuss.  I can't trademark the word "pizza" and then sue every pizza delivery place in the United States for trademark infringement.

It's possible that North Stars or Stars are not trademarked, although I doubt that.  It is possible that the trademark is written to cover hockey but not other sports, or the restriction is written in a different way.  Not all trademarks are written to eliminate all potential other uses.  It is possible that Tri-City actually got permission.  It is also possible that they didn't bother to get permission, but that Dallas either hasn't heard about it or just hasn't done anything yet.  I wouldn't assume anything about the use without having more information.

I also wouldn't assume that North Stars or Stars is the front runner at this point.  As I said in an earlier post, they would have to do all of this work just exploring the trademark issue before the names could even be put on the list to be considered.  They could do all of this work researching the name and then decide that the name didn't work or that others were better choices for the final ballot.  Exploring the availability of a trademark is just part of the process.

These general words are not subject to trademark in isolation.  Do a google search and see how many businesses around the country use "North Star".

In the sports arena, that's why the San Antonio WNBA team, which is just south of Dallas, can be called the "Stars".  The Dallas NHL franchise does not have the exclusive rights to the word "Stars".  Trademarked ogos, which is what everyone else is talking about in the first place, is a different ballgame.  For other examples:  Winnipeg Jets and New York Jets--same name but different logos.  Carolina Panthers and Florida Panthers---same name but different logos.  New York Rangers and Texas Rangers---same name but different logos.  LA Kings and Sacramento Kings--same name but different logos.  Edmonton Oilers and former Houston Oilers--same name but different logos.  New York Giants and San Francisco Giants---same name but different logos.  St. Louis Cardinals and Arizona Cardinals--same name but different logos.  And these are just the professional sports teams that I can rattle off the top of my head.  This list would be endless if I looked it up or included college teams.

Now, if UND was using the old Minnesota North Stars jersey and logo or the current Dallas Stars jersey and logo without a license or other type of agreement, then UND will run into a problem.  But to clarify some of the confusion for everyone else: UND absolutely can use general words like "Stars" and "North Stars" for a new nickname.  If UND wants the old Minnesota North Star logo, they need to acquire the rights to use that trademark.

• Upvote 1

If this happens, I hope they get rid of the yellow.  Just use green, black, and white.  Yellow makes it look kinda gross.

Right.  The idea from what I was told is that UND would acquire and adopt the old Minnesota North Stars logo, but continue to use the same green, black, and white color scheme.

• Upvote 3

Right.  The idea from what I was told is that UND would acquire and adopt the old Minnesota North Stars logo, but continue to use the same green, black, and white color scheme.

I'm going to say that will not happen, The Dallas Stars own the rights to the name and logo. They wouldn't even allow the Wild to wear replica jerseys when the Wild honored the North Stars on March 29, 2012 against the Panthers.

I'm going to say that will not happen, The Dallas Stars own the rights to the name and logo. They wouldn't even allow the Wild to wear replica jerseys when the Wild honored the North Stars on March 29, 2012 against the Panthers.

Well, considering UND is a college and the Wild are a fellow competing NHL team, that isn't necessarily apples to apples.  UND using the North Stars name and logo wouldn't threaten the Dallas Stars at all.

The Dallas Stars do not own the rights to the word "Stars", but they have every right to prevent a team from using their trademarked logos or the word "Stars" in connection with their trademarked logos. 

University of North Dakota absolutely can adopt Stars or North Stars for the new nickname.  If they want to use "Stars" or "North Stars" with the Stars logo or the North Stars logo, they need a license or other type of agreement, which has been in the works for awhile now.

The Dallas Stars do not own the rights to the word "Stars" or "North Stars", but they have every right to prevent a team from using their trademarked logos or the word "Stars" or "North Stars" in connection with their trademarked logos. 

University of North Dakota absolutely can adopt Stars or North Stars for the new nickname.  If they want to use "Stars" or "North Stars" with the Stars logo or the North Stars logo, they need a license or other type of agreement, which has been in the works for awhile now.

If this were to play out, the athletic department will never receive another cent from me.  Let's get the rights and slap an old logo on the hockey sweaters.  Maybe drop down to D-III for everything else and just be "North Dakota" for sports not played on ice.  What a joke.   

One other thing.  The NHL owns the Minnesota North Stars trademark.  The Dallas franchise does not.

Well, considering UND is a college and the Wild are a fellow competing NHL team, that isn't necessarily apples to apples.  UND using the North Stars name and logo wouldn't threaten the Dallas Stars at all.

Century High School was told around 2000-2001 by the Calgary Flames to stop using their logo.

Bismarck High School along with all the Bismarck youth hockey teams used the Bruins spoke B now they don't.

One other thing.  The NHL owns the Minnesota North Stars trademark.  The Dallas franchise does not.

Then why didn't the NHL let the Wild wear replica North Stars jersey's when the Dallas Stars said they couldn't.

Century High School was told around 2000-2001 by the Calgary Flames to stop using their logo.

Bismarck High School along with all the Bismarck youth hockey teams used the Bruins spoke B now they don't.

Then why didn't the NHL let the Wild wear replica North Stars jersey's when the Dallas Stars said they couldn't.

I am not familiar with that whole issue at all.  My assumption is that Dallas had nothing to do with it, but rather the league, which owns the trademark, did not authorize it..

I'm not disagreeing with you, but just wanted to add that this is another example where its fine to use another team's general nickname (New England Patriots), but not another team's trademarked logo (Calgary Flames).

I am not familiar with that whole issue at all.  My assumption is that Dallas had nothing to do with it, but rather the league, which owns the trademark, did not authorize it..

That's the debate, some think the NHL owns the rights and other say the Stars own the rights. Do the Coyotes still own the rights to the old Winnipeg Jets logo?

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_20286932/tom-powers-state-hockey-finally-traces-nhl-origins

The jersey thing is brought up about halfway through the article.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but just wanted to add that this is another example where its fine to use another team's general nickname (New England Patriots), but not another team's trademarked logo (Calgary Flames).

I think they still could used the old New England Patriots logo when I was there which was when New England Patriots had the logo they have now. From what I've seen now they have a similar logo to the New England Patriots, ever since I graduated from the school they have a new logo every few years.