SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I've bee a vocal critic of Roughriders, but it seems pretty obvious, even to me, that it's the best option remaining.  And I generally agree that a new nickname is better than no nickname, but honestly, when compared to this list, no nickname is not a bad option.  

For me:

1) Roughriders - I don't like that we're copying the local high school team, but it's an official nickname of the state and is pretty unique

2) Cavalry - I like it in theory, but the confusion with Calvary can't be ignored.  About half the people on this board spell it wrong, and probably say it wrong too.  On the other hand, a lot of people spelled Sioux wrong too (but at leas it was easy to pronounce).

3) North Dakota

The remaining options are all unacceptable in my opinion.

What truly frightens me is that with all the really bad nicknames in the Final 15, at least one of them is sure to make the Final 3.  And when that happens, look for outside interests to wreak havoc with the public voting process.

We've been over this....

So you're saying that being mentioned on an official website makes it the official nickname?

I see a webpage on the ND.gov domain titled "Nicknames" (linked to from the State Facts page).

Not sure what more can be said other than it's coming from the ND.gov domain and linked to from state facts

I see four listed: 

Peace Garden State

Flickertail State

Roughrider State

Dakota 

I see a webpage on the ND.gov domain titled "Nicknames" (linked to from the State Facts page).

Not sure what more can be said other than it's coming from the ND.gov domain and linked to from state facts

I see four listed: 

Peace Garden State

Flickertail State

Roughrider State

Dakota 

You see four listed but you know that doesn't give us four official state nicknames.

If we choose Thunderhawks, can we use this image as inspiration?  Thunder Hawk was a member of the Hunkpapa Indians and a companion of Sitting Bull.

ThunderHawk1.jpg

Now that's funny. Would stick a finger in the eye of the NCAA better than staying North Dakota would!

So you're saying that being mentioned on an official website makes it the official nickname?

Does it have less meaning if its unofficial state nickname to you. Or if a new more legislators at the time voted "yes."

It is indeed one of North Dakotas nicknames. Plain & Simple.

Never said they were going away, but in no way will Sun Dogs be a marketable name or logo. I'm sure the Bison and Gopher fans will have a blast with it though.

They had a blast defaming our former Fighting Sioux nickname and somehow we were able to sleep at night.  The big difference was we were proud of that nickname so it did not matter as much. We fear the unknown and the possibility that we might have to defend something that hasn't been fully bought into yet.  Believe me, if any fan base can buy into a nickname like Gophers or Banana Slugs, any name eventually would be accepted given enough time.

• Upvote 1

You see four listed but you know that doesn't give us four official state nicknames.

No, it has very little meaning to begin with.

How can we remove something that doesn't exist?

url.jpeg

• Upvote 2

We had Sitting Bull, or at least the name of his followers (born near Mobridge, SD, but lived in ND and commanded a war unit). 

So now it's Teddy Roosevelt, or at least the name of his followers, (born in Manhattan, NY, but lived in ND and commanded a war unit). 

< shrug > 

We like to think of Roughriders as Teddy. But the main definition of Roughriders is:

a person who breaks in or can ride unbroken horses.

Pretty fitting in North Dakota.

I'm thinking something like the old NFL Broncos logo with a cowboy holding on. Be pretty badass.