SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Killing a little time today. I was going to bracket out a 64 team tournament bracket with the name selections but when I went to seed them I found it was too difficult since we have 35-40 of what would be considered a 16 seed.

Decided to use a modified step ladder format.

Group 1

Arctic Blaze

Arctic Force

Aurora

Bison Slayers

Big Green

Blaze

Blazing Stars

Blizzard

Blizzard Dogs

Bombardiers

Charging Nokota

Energy

Fighting Green

Fighting Greens

Fighting Green Hawks

Fighting Hawks

Fighting Sundogs

Fire

Flame

Flames

Force

Force of the North

Global Hawks

Green Bombers

Green Hawks

Green Pride

Night Riders

Nodak

North Force

Northern Lights

Pride

Snow Dogs

Snow Leopards

Storm

Sundog

Sundogs

Warriors of the North

Wings

Wooly Mammoth

The winner of the steaming pile of !@#$ known as group 1 gets to advance to group 2 with the following

Group 2

Group 1 "winner"

Flickertails

Nodaks

Spirit

The winner of group 2 moves on to group 3 with the following

Group 3

Group 2 winner

Aeronauts

Aeros

Aviators

Bombers

Drillers

Explorers

Fliers

Riders

Roughriders

Winner of group 3 moves on to Group 4

Group 4

Group 3 winner

Blackhawks

Grey Hawks

Night Hawks

Nighthawks

Thunder Hawks

Warhawks

The winner of Group 4 advances to Group 5

Group 5

Group 4 winner

Prairie Hawks

The winner of group 5 advances to Group 6

Group 6

Group 5 winner

Badlanders

Cavalry

Warriors

The winner of Group 6 advances to group 7

Group 7

Group 6 winner

North Stars

The winner of Group 7 advances to Group 8

Group 8

Group 7 winner

North Dakota

Hopefully this format gets rid of most of the ridiculously stupid along the way but if not, then power to the marketing committee!

• Upvote 1

Your argument against Teddy R and the name Rough Riders is tiresome. I don't want to repeat myself, but again it doesn't matter how many ND residents fought for the Rough Riders, it doesn't matter how long Teddy R lived in ND, and it doesn't matter the Rough Riders isn't the "official," state nickname. 

What matters is the name is and has been engrained in the culture and the people of this state for as long as I can remember. How that came to be doesn't matter. North Dakota residents are proud to be associated with Teddy Roosevelt and they are proud to be associated with the name Rough Riders. You can stop with all the other talk because it doesn't matter. Facts are facts, and the Rough Rider name being tied to ND and ND residents is a fact. Did you actually grow up in ND or were you a transplant that just went to school here? If so I understand, but if you actually grew up in ND I don't see how you do not know how much that name has been apart of the states culture for a very long time. As a ND resident myself, I am proud to be associated with Teddy R and the Rough Rider name and would be proud to have UND take that as a nickname.  ND people are strong, tough, hard working people, who stand up for what's right.......kind of like a group of people Teddy R led to battle back in the day. 

Again lots of great names to choose from, but Rough Riders makes the most sense by far. As GFhockey and the GOBC like to say.....ROLLLLL RIDAS

More to your point, ND is very different east to west. The five counties that border the Red River are very Minnesota-centric minded. They look to Minneapolis. By the time you get west to Bismarck the focus is split between Minneapolis and Denver; by the time you're to Dickinson Minneapolis is an afterthought, very Denver focused. 

The western part of the state is very proud of the TR history (see: Medora). Maybe we'd find another way to tie east to west better. 

The fact that North Stars and Blackhawks are in the final 64 and get as much air time here as they do, is frightening to me.  Not in a sense that those have any chance of become the name, more like "what is wrong with people?".  

Wrong.  Langdon was the ONLY Roughrider from ND.  I could not care less about any Class A high schools or their nicknames.

Wrong, Frank Kania (Jamestown), John Damet (Alexander) and William T de Zychlinski(Bismarck)   get the facts before you go spewing what you think is a fact.  And these were members of the 1st volunteer cavalry, there was also the 2nd volunteer cavalry(also known as the rough riders)from wyoming which recruited many ranchers from southern ND.

• Upvote 1

More to your point, ND is very different east to west. The five counties that border the Red River are very Minnesota-centric minded. They look to Minneapolis. By the time you get west to Bismarck the focus is split between Minneapolis and Denver; by the time you're to Dickinson Minneapolis is an afterthought, very Denver focused. 

The western part of the state is very proud of the TR history (see: Medora). Maybe we'd find another way to tie east to west better. 

This is UND and the state of ND looks to UND. I've been to every part of this state and pretty much west of I29 North Dakota this is rough tough hard working farming, ranching, and oil country. You get up with the sun and get stuff done.

Of the names that tie into that theme from the list I see Badlanders & Rough Riders that fit that mold. I like both, but prefer Rough Riders. Top 3 would be Rough Riders, Calvary (has no chance based on previous discussion on this thread), and Badlanders in that order. I'm open to whatever, but I have yet to see a name that makes more sense than Rough Riders. Based on the vote of the people on this site it's obvious it is the clear favorite at the moment. It's been the name talked about the most and at the very least should be in the top 3 for final vote. We can then let America decide what they want the name to be.  

"He bought a ranch in the Dakota badlands." http://www.pbs.org/nationalparks/people/historical/roosevelt/

Here I go again using Facts to discredit what you wrote.

Do you have a problem with a National Park being named after him in North Dakota or just if it was named after the group of men he led, the Roughriders.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/kyle-drennen/2014/09/16/pbs-doc-teddy-roosevelt-imperialist-killer-who-glorified-war

One man's hero is another's bloodthirsty warmonger. In another 20-30 years, who is to say opinions like THIS won't result in yet another nickname change for the University of North Dakota?

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/kyle-drennen/2014/09/16/pbs-doc-teddy-roosevelt-imperialist-killer-who-glorified-war

One man's hero is another's bloodthirsty warmonger. In another 20-30 years, who is to say opinions like THIS won't result in yet another nickname change for the University of North Dakota?

Good thought.  I wouldn't vote for any nickname that has any military connotation at all for that matter.

" ... bloodthirsty warmonger ... " ... with a Nobel Peace Prize ... 

Good thought.  I wouldn't vote for any nickname that has any military connotation at all for that matter.

Splitting hairs at that point. Rough Riders and Calvary can be taken an branded totally separate from any military connection at all. Look at the CFL team, there is no reference to anything military with them and they are the Rough Riders. I think you could also do that with the name Calvary, but the difference there is that there were Calvary groups that fought and killed many Sioux people in the late 1880s and I think that is a PR nightmare UND should avoid.

Our current president had used drones to target and kill American citizens...and he's got himself a Nobel Peace Prize too.

To be fair. President Obama was awarded the Nobel Prize before he had actually done anything........at all.
  • Upvote 1

Splitting hairs at that point. Rough Riders and Calvary can be taken an branded totally separate from any military connection at all. Look at the CFL team, there is no reference to anything military with them and they are the Rough Riders. I think you could also do that with the name Calvary, but the difference there is that there were Calvary groups that fought and killed many Sioux people in the late 1880s and I think that is a PR nightmare UND should avoid.

I have a PR nightmare UND can avoid: NOT picking Cavalry as a choice due to people who don't know the difference between that word and Calvary.

• Upvote 1

Ridas!

Naw gobc has standee down on this issue. Our selection didn't get put thru due to computer issues.

I call BS.  Even if this were true, you have a gobc member on the committee and another individual who's desperate to join the gobc on the committee.  Your choice could have very easily been added once it was found out that it wasn't there.  I think you were just scared to submit it.

That's the beauty of Cavalry -- it shows the epic stupidity of the NCAA's policy.

Irony is a harsh mistress.

Yep, and I'd be all over that nickname for that reason.

True, but his Teddy's concern for college athletics essentially resulted in the formation of the NCAA.  So there's that

I'd bet money on "Spirit" being in the finals. As rigged as the 1985 NBA draft.

Oh yes, what could go wrong with that selection. Its perc.. oh wait.

Announcer: Here come your UND spirit!

Students: Lets Get Drunk!

We cant have a university with a nickname that openly supports a drinking culture... next!