SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

It's been 3560 days since August 5, 2005.

We are just 92 days short of the ten year anniversary of the "race, ethnicity, or national origin" nicknames ruling from the NCAA. 

We are no better off today than we were then.

Actually, we are worse off: We're a house divided. We're frustrated. And we have no leadership. 

• Upvote 4

We are no better off today than we were then.

Actually, we are worse off: We're a house divided. We're frustrated. And we have no leadership.

Your last sentence says it all and is the reason for all your other observations above.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Source: http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3737515-und-releases-potential-nickname-suggestions

The lists aren’t necessarily set in stone, Johnson said, and there is still a possibility names may move from one list to the other at the discretion of the committee.

Translated: Both lists are a bunch of hokum slap-dazzled together to meet (or head off) freedom of information act requests for now and the foreseeable future. So don't believe anything you see on either list. 

• Upvote 1

Translated: Both lists are a bunch of hokum slap-dazzled together to meet (or head off) freedom of information act requests for now and the foreseeable future. So don't believe anything you see on either list. 

Big Cocks.............."so you're saying there's a chance."

The #1 name on this poll (some of unds biggest athletic fans) is not under slight consideration.

Not cool.

Condensed "Consideration" list, per Herald.  

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/3738017-condensed-list-und-nickname-suggestions

I think the way to look at this is to disregard the "No Consideration" List.  That list is irrelevant unless you're looking for a laugh.  If the name is on the "Consideration" list, it is still under consideration.  If it's not, then it's not (subject to change).  Per this list, Roughriders is still under consideration, as is all the other usual suspects.  The "North Dakota" option is essentially the no nickname option and is still under consideration.  Nokota is not there, but "Charging Nokota" is, which doesn't make much sense.  We'll see how this develops.  It's pretty clear that nobody put much thought or effort into these lists before releasing them.  I'd expect some changes.

My Top 10:

Warriors

Warhawks

Roughnecks

Reapers

Mallards

Nighthawks

Frackers

Badlanders

Berzerkers

Stallions

I haven't had the time to look through everything on my own, but other than Norse or Norsemen (which the later didn't make the consideration list apparently) I'm coming around to Roughnecks, Reapers and Berzerkers.  Personally, I want a short one or two syllable name, or one that can easily be shortened to one or two syllables (which I'm not really feeling 'Zerkers for Berzerkers). 

Source: http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3737515-und-releases-potential-nickname-suggestions

Well, I hope they start making decisions soon rather than drag this clusterf**k out any longer than it already has been ...

• Upvote 3

My Top 10:

Warriors

Warhawks

Roughnecks

Reapers

Mallards

Nighthawks

Frackers

Badlanders

Berzerkers

Stallions

My guess would be that Mallards and maybe Nighthawks or Roughnecks are your best bet for a winner.

I think the odds are zero for Stallions, Warriors, and Warhawks.  Too many other schools have the first two, and Warhawks is a little too Native American in this day and age.

Berzerkers is going to be too Dungeons & Dragons to get significant momentum, and Frackers is a pretty controversial word.

Reapers is kind of cool but probably won't have the marketing pull.

So among Mallards, Nighthawks, and Roughnecks, let's take a look.

Mallards is used by a pro hockey team in Iowa, a handful of high schools, and an amateur baseball team in Wisconsin.  You might have an issue with the hockey team. http://www.myqcmallards.net/home/ but I don't know if there's an ownership issue there or not.  I don't know how much your markets overlap with Iowa.

Nighthawks is used by a whole mess of high schools and some developmental pro soccer teams, but the bigger potential issue is that it's already being used by three colleges: http://ungathletics.com/ and http://tunighthawks.com/ and http://www.newburynighthawks.com/landing/index.  You're not really in their markets so maybe it's not an issue (2 are in Georgia, 1 is in Massachusetts).  

Roughnecks is apparently a pretty common name for semipro football teams, though that's not an issue.  There are a handful of high schools with the name, and the biggest competition is likely a pro lacrosse team in Canada and a developmental pro basketball team in Wyoming.  Neither are particularly big names, I'm guessing.

From a brand ownership perspective, I think Roughnecks would be pretty safe, and probably Mallards.  They may not want to become the fourth Nighthawks in college athletics.

I haven't had the time to look through everything on my own, but other than Norse or Norsemen (which the later didn't make the consideration list apparently) I'm coming around to Roughnecks, Reapers and Berzerkers.  Personally, I want a short one or two syllable name, or one that can easily be shortened to one or two syllables (which I'm not really feeling 'Zerkers for Berzerkers). 

If I read their scoring criteria correctly, they really don't want a name that's going to be shortened in common use.  So from that, I bet we can eliminate most or all 3+ syllable names.

Since you have Stallions on your list, any idea why Nokota was on the "Not under consideration" list?

I really find that odd too that it didn't make the "under consideration" list.  What is odd is "Nokes" and "Charging Nokota" were on the "under consideration" list.

If I read their scoring criteria correctly, they really don't want a name that's going to be shortened in common use.  So from that, I bet we can eliminate most or all 3+ syllable names.

You keep referring to their criteria.

That's all well and good, and I applaud you for reading it; but, I suspect ultimately there'll be more than a fair amount of "Don Adam" in what comes out of the committee. 

My top ten on the Under Consideration list would be (in descending order):

Ermines

Frost Giants (but it'll get killed because it'll be shortened to Giants in everyday use)

Northern Lights (though it'll get killed because of redundant Norths)

Pronghorns

Homesteaders

Mallards

Sodbusters

Legends

Sundogs (though it'll get killed because it'll be shortened to dogs)
Meadowlarks

This isn't taking into account ownership stuff since I haven't looked them all up.  (I do know that ownership of Ermines would be complete and uncontested, though.)

I suspect Nokota (horse) and Nakota (tribe name) were confused by the "rocket surgeon" that put those lists together. 

I can just see the big "E" and nothing else..............

You keep referring to their criteria.

That's all well and good, and I applaud you for reading it; but, I suspect ultimately there'll be more than a fair amount of "Don Adam" in what comes out of the committee. 

Yeah, possibly so.  They'll have to justify any pick with the criteria, though.