SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

New nickname or no nickname, the Fighting Sioux ain't goin' anywhere! 

We're kidding ourselves if we actually think that the adoption of a new nickname will result in Fighting Sioux fans putting away their Fighting Sioux gear or not referring to UND athletics as the Fighting Sioux.

I don't doubt your sincerity on the reasoning for wanting no nickname but until it is actually replaced and the void is filled, Fighting Sioux will continue to be used and UND will continue to have to address the issues associated with it.  A new nickname isn't going to be universally like and will take time to grow on people, that is painfully clear, but even Fighting Sioux wasn't universally liked, which is how UND got into this mess in the first place. 

That is the catch-22 on the cooling period....eventually it will end and people will have to "try" to accept the new nickname where if everything played out and a new name was chosen after the 2010 deadline we would be on year 5 with a new name and logo, and would we still be talking about this issue?

• Upvote 1

We're kidding ourselves if we actually think that the adoption of a new nickname will result in Fighting Sioux fans putting away their Fighting Sioux gearing or not referring to UND athletics as the Fighting Sioux.

Just ask Marquette and Dartmouth there are still people there that wear gear with their old nicknames (Warriors, Indians). You are right the name Fighting Sioux will be around forever its called history....know it, remember it, and cherish it. 

An oversimplification of the view of the "no nickname" and "irreplaceable" viewpoint. 

We had a Lamborghini. It was awesome. There were a couple Ferrari around, but we had the only Lamborghini. 

Then the DOT said, "No more Lamborghini on the streets." The Ferrari were allowed to stay, along with all the Fords and Chevys. 

Worse? We had nothing to drive for quite a while ... and the Lamborghini is still in the garage, but we can't drive it*. 

And I'm worried that even if we get a Jaguar F-Type V8 R** it will still feel like a Yugo because the Lamborghini will always be in the garage.

The problem with that viewpoint? No wheels; we walk.  

*Although some folks are still revvin' it up in the garage. 

** Feel free to donate to my F-Type R, in racing green of course, fund at any time. :) 

We're kidding ourselves if we actually think that the adoption of a new nickname will result in Fighting Sioux fans putting away their Fighting Sioux gear or not referring to UND athletics as the Fighting Sioux.

As much as some people will disagree with me and/or deny it, there is less and less Fighting Sioux apparel being worn at games.  And yes even hockey games! 

Is this based upon your's or someone else's anecdotal evidence?

Pretty simple assumption since there are people wearing the new jersey's and other clothing with the interlocking ND.  Unless those people weren't wearing anything before, then by default, there is less Fighting Sioux gear being worn.

Can only speak for myself:

I have not worn the logo or spoken that word to reference UND Athletics since it was retired.

I have a $400 Brien logo leather jacket that is just taking up space on a hanger. 

Why? We asked two neighbors for simple help. They didn't come through for me. Ignore me? Ignore you. Meh. So much for them.

Pretty simple assumption since there are people wearing the new jersey's and other clothing with the interlocking ND.  Unless those people weren't wearing anything before, then by default, there is less Fighting Sioux gear being worn.

Ah yes, an assumption.  Or, as assumption is defined, "a thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen, without proof."

That's why I asked, albeit someone else and not you, if he/she was basing this on anecdotal experience or proof.

Ah yes, an assumption.  Or, as assumption is defined, "a thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen, without proof."

That's why I asked, albeit someone else and not you, if he/she was basing this on anecdotal experience or proof.

Seems a lot of that goes on unabated on here on all sides of this issue. 

The pep band used to wear Fighting Sioux jerseys while playing at hockey games.  They now wear the new "North Dakota" jersey.  So there is your proof.   Just look around next time you are at a game and you will see there are others with just "North Dakota" apparel on, in all sports.  Use your eyes to see what people are wearing.  That is your proof.

That article made me disappointed.  Those "supporters" of the University of North Dakota should check their diploma and see what it says (and doesn't say) on it.

And to the student who is now contemplating on moving out of Grand Forks because he doesn't want to see a new logo and needs a logo to give him confidence to face his challenges, the real world is going to give you one heck of a wake-up call.

Arrows are on my diploma. :p

UNDarrow3.jpg

• Upvote 1

Maybe I should have said that it is pretty simple to observe that people are wearing the new jersey and clothing with the interlocking ND logo and any reasonable person can easily come to the conclusion that because of that, since the same amount of people are in the building, mathematically there has to be less Fighting Sioux gear being worn?  Unless of course you are going to make the absurd argument that not a single one of them previously wore Fighting Sioux clothing to the game or no clothing at all.

The pep band used to wear Fighting Sioux jerseys while playing at hockey games.  They now wear the new "North Dakota" jersey.  So there is your proof.   Just look around next time you are at a game and you will see there are others with just "North Dakota" apparel on, in all sports.  Use your eyes to see what people are wearing.  That is your proof.

Well, of course!  We certainly know that the official UND band, like the athletes, no longer wear Fighting Sioux jerseys.  On the other hand, the "Fighting Sioux" name ain't goin' nowhere.

Maybe I should have said that it is pretty simple to observe that people are wearing the new jersey and clothing with the interlocking ND logo and any reasonable person can easily come to the conclusion that because of that, since the same amount of people are in the building, mathematically there has to be less Fighting Sioux gear being worn?  Unless of course you are going to make the absurd argument that not a single one of them previously wore Fighting Sioux clothing to the game or nothing at all.

Yes, you should have said that.  But I can also "assume" that those individuals had previously wore the interlocking ND logo, the school seal, or any other type of University of North Dakota clothing that did not contain the Fighting Sioux logo.  The "Fighting Sioux" ain't goin' nowhere.

Nobody is going to put away their gear.  It will slowly disappear over time as it is no longer sold to the new graduates who continuously make their way through UND.  People can keep wearing whatever they want.  But the Sioux logo will disappear over the next 20 years to the point where there 10's of 100's are wearing it instead of 1000's.

The rest will be wearing the new logo.  

• Upvote 3

Yes, you should have said that.  But I can also "assume" that those individuals had previously wore the interlocking ND logo, the school seal, or any other type of University of North Dakota clothing that did not contain the Fighting Sioux logo.  The "Fighting Sioux" ain't goin' nowhere.

Yes they are.  On UND's campus and at their sporting events, anyway.    

• Upvote 3

Nobody is going to put away their gear.  It will slowly disappear over time as it is no longer sold to the new graduates who continuously make their way through UND.  People can keep wearing whatever they want.  But the Sioux logo will disappear over the next 20 years to the point where there 10's of 100's are wearing it instead of 1000's.

The rest will be wearing the new logo.  

I think you mean, "North Stars".

Yes they are.  On UND's campus and at their sporting events, anyway.    

Nope.

What people need to realize is replacing the Fighting Sioux name with something else doesn't erase the history of the Fighting Sioux from the University of North Dakota.  No one is saying that we need to forget about the old name.  No one is telling people to throw all their Fighting Sioux apparel away and buy up all the merchandise with the new logo.  Moving forward does not mean forgetting about the past.  That being said, there is a fine line between remembering the old name and honoring its place in UND history and holding on to the name and not adjusting or adapting to the new name. 

Like I said, any reasonable person can come to the conclusion that there is less Fighting Sioux gear being worn, unless you use an absurd argument.  And with the band no longer wearing Fighting Sioux gear, you're going to need to some up with some new people that didn't previously wear Fighting Sioux clothing to offset it.

The "Fighting Sioux" ain't goin' nowhere.

Not sure what you mean by this.  UND has retired the name, they won't wear it on the playing field ever again.  In terms of its official capacity, it is already gone.

Like I said, any reasonable person can come to the conclusion that there is less Fighting Sioux gear being worn, unless you use an absurd argument.  And with the band no longer wearing Fighting Sioux gear, you're going to need to some up with some new people that didn't previously wear Fighting Sioux clothing to offset it.

Not sure what you mean by this.  UND has retired the name, they won't wear it on the playing field ever again.  In terms of its official capacity, it is already gone.

Correct.

By "two neighbors", I can only conclude you are referring to the UND administration and the State Board of Higher Education.

Those did all they could. You know which two "neighbors" didn't send simple letters to Indianapolis. 

Imagine if the neighbor's had said to the NCAA,

"Hey, thanks for the offer of help, but we will settle this in house back here in ND amongst ourselves so we're OK with it for now. We'll call you when we need you."

The "neighbors" would have the State and UND by the ... 

Imagine what they could get out of Bismarck and UND in that scenario. 

They missed it. 

I am quite certain the pep band was told they could no longer wear Fighting Sioux clothing - even the guy that runs the flag around the field during games was told that he could no longer wear Sioux clothing because he is a representative of the school. I agree that there are some who have stopped wearing it but most of them are the very close to UND adminstration (friends of the big guys) - but I also know there are lots of big donors who continue to wear Sioux clothing and will continue to wear it. 

I think for me, this whole frustration extends way beyond just the sioux nickname. It is the entire politically correct initiative that is sweeping across this country. Some people don't like the Sioux name, we have to get rid of it. Some people still want to refer to the name, or no name leaves the door too wide open on the issue ... adopt a new name. You adopted a new name ... there are still too many people wearing old apparely and saying the name ... do something about it.

Always giving into this type of whining and complaining is incredibly frustrating to watch, because it will only continue. People will continue to find something to whine and complain about, and they will continue to get their way. This extends far beyond UND and the Sioux name, but it is just another perfect example. Even when these people get their way (name dropped), they push for more.