SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I always thought they should have negotiated a name change to "Nodaks", and kept the logo. I don't think even the strongest critics of the name were offended by the logo. The name would have been unique but not tied directly to a tribe. It's in essence what we have now with the REA still displaying the logo everywhere but center ice.

• Upvote 1

I think about this idea WAY too much so I figured I'd type it out.

I like Nodaks. What the logo would be I guess would be more concern to me than the mouthful. 

I still like Roughriders. I think the University should be big enough to look past condom jokes and local high schools.

On the thought of outlaws, I don't know if it's been said, but Badlanders would be kinda cool. Tough to chant though. Could be a cool logo.

Norse is awesome, but probably can't use people.

I still like Oilers. I think it would make us more popular with the newer residents in the big sky part of the state, and quite frankly, I like that it probably pisses off the same people who didn't like Sioux.

As far as animals in North Dakota, there are a few cool ideas I thought:

A variation of Cougar. I think >30 schools use cougar. I think if it's one or two other schools have it, it's fine, but not the case here. I haven't found a great relevant synonym for cougar yet. Allegedly there is over 40 though. You can't lie on the internet. 

Wolves is BA. Not here anymore, but according to Lewis and Clark journals there were here (and if they were here, it would be by the same method bison are here anyways). You have to do it somehow to differentiate from the diseased franchise that is the Timberwolves, but that shouldn't be all that tough. There aren't many teams that are 'just' wolves (wolfpak, seawolves, timberwolves...), and let's go back to our reasoning for picking our last nickname... It's a good exterminator of gophers and bison, and its all right in a Let's Go (insert name) cheer. Admittedly doesn't roll off the tongue as well, but it works. Can be an aggressive, non-feel good, logo to it. Also, think sweet National Geographic pre-game video of a pack of wolves tearing into a bison. Let's scar some children. 

One of the hawks or falcons in the state could probably be done OK. Owls is pretty native bird.. though being a pheasant hunter, it's hard not to hate them.

Bigger animals like Elk, Wild Horses (Nokota),  Moose could be fun logos. I'd have to seen it done right though. Elk doesn't roll off the tongue, but it'd be a cool logo. The wild horse logo idea could be very original and cool.

Just my thoughts ;)

• Upvote 1