SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Southern Utah's nickname is irrelevant. As is the Ag School's nickname's nickname.

Marketing folks would probably agree with your first statement; however, given the geographic proximity and name similarity of the schools (both contain "North Dakota") the marketing folks would more that likely disagree with your second statement.

I think the front runner of the name has to be Rough Riders. It has so much history with this state and I know its that other schools nickname but why can't UND play off of it. Red River spells it Roughriders....UND could spell it Rough Riders. Also have a different logo than RRHS. We know the colors will be different, we could have a cavalry guy on a horse or not with the UND flag lead the team on the field and he can be our mascot. We could have a woman dressed in a cavalry outfit to keep it equal too.

I have always wondered if there was a way to come up with a new name and logo, but keep it similar to the Fighting Sioux logo. What about choosing the name "Roughriders" and having a Bennet Brien type logo of Teddy Roosevelt facing to the left using the same type of color scheme and look to it. Heck, maybe Brien can even design it. That way the logo would be different but have the same type of look to it. Would maybe be easier for people to adjust and accept it. Just a thought.

• Upvote 1

I have always wondered if there was a way to come up with a new name and logo, but keep it similar to the Fighting Sioux logo. What about choosing the name "Roughriders" and having a Bennet Brien type logo of Teddy Roosevelt facing to the left using the same type of color scheme and look to it. Heck, maybe Brien can even design it. That way the logo would be different but have the same type of look to it. Just a thought.

Brien is a very talented artist. If he designed the new UND logo it would be the second best ever (behind his Sioux logo).

• Upvote 1