SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

And where do those numbers come from?

The KSU number was that article, the FCS numbers is what is projected NDSU will have to pay to bring in a school (ex. Prairie View last year) and the UND number I made up. But makes sense that number would be a lot lower since we are only 70 miles away.

That makes no sense. Let's say that gross ticket revenue = $500K, the fee to the visiting team = $300K, and other expenses = $100K. Are you says that because 300 is 60% of 500, NDSU would be better off to get zero net profit in the off years of a home and home with UND, than they would to pocket $100K ($500K - $300K - $100K) by paying an FCS school to come to Fargo?

You're only looking at it for a 1 year at a time. If it is a home and home, you need to look at the years combined.

If they played 2 home games in separate years and made $100K each year (your numbers: $500K gate less $300K guarantee less $100K expenses), they make a total of $200K over 2 years.

If they have a home and home with UND, the first year, they make $500K gate less expenses of $100K for a profit of $400K (no guarantee needs to be paid) and make $0 the year they have to go to UND for a total of $400K over a 2 year span.

Which scenario (using your numbers) does NDSU come out ahead in?

You're only looking at it for a 1 year at a time. If it is a home and home, you need to look at the years combined.

If they played 2 home games in separate years and made $100K each year (your numbers: $500K gate less $300K guarantee less $100K expenses), they make a total of $200K over 2 years.

If they have a home and home with UND, the first year, they make $500K gate less expenses of $100K for a profit of $400K (no guarantee needs to be paid) and make $0 the year they have to go to UND for a total of $400K over a 2 year span.

Which scenario (using your numbers) does NDSU come out ahead in?

You're right, I understood that when I first read your post, then I somehow forgot it when I came back to it later. In any case, all this is based on numbers that are just picked out of the air. It still seems very unlikely that NDSU would really be better off playing UND than bringing in an FCS team from out of state.

It is indeed a reversal of fortunes. UND has moved on. In the true Dakota spirit of Lewis and Clark their fortunes were westward. The timid remained east. Net net, UND is "America's Dakota University."

I doubt it, can't help that Western Carolina is working on getting a situation that allows them to play two FBS games AND still have a shot of winning a Non-Conf game.

Lewis and Clark are not North Dakotan, hence nullifying your point ;)

Backpages: “UND, America’s Dakota University” two thumbs up, I like that.

'JohnboyND7 :

All over North Dakota you see Lewis and Clark this and Lewis and Clark that signs. We call ourselves the “Roughrider State” yet Theodore Roosevelt was not from ND. Where did you take history? ---- oh wait ---- never mind.

'JohnboyND7 :

All over North Dakota you see Lewis and Clark this and Lewis and Clark that signs. We call ourselves the “Roughrider State” yet Theodore Roosevelt was not from ND. Where did you take history? ---- oh wait ---- never mind.

Peace Garden State.

'JohnboyND7 :

Don't forget the Lewis and Clark license plates.

http://wiki.answers....ugh_rider_state

"Peace Garden" is on our license plates and you are familiar with that because ----- oh that's right ---- never mind.

Not that that matters, but ND's official nickname.....is the Peace Garden State.

http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/North_Dakota/NicknameNorthDakota.html

Don't forget the Lewis and Clark license plates.

Don't forget the Bison plates.

Not that that matters, but ND's official nickname.....is the Peace Garden State.

http://www.statesymb...orthDakota.html

Good God, what is the point of all this?

My license plate could say "Snatch" if I wanted it to...............................

Good God, what is the point of all this?

My license plate could say "Snatch" if I wanted it to...............................

Thank you. 100% pointless. Honestly the state name is unimportant. As is if the schools ever play again in the regular season.

Glass half-empty, they won't play until they meet in the same round of the playoffs.

Glass half-full, won't that be a rowdy time.

T or F: When UND eventually plays NDSU in the Fargodome, the all-time single game attendance record is broken. I believe that record was just broken this season, and I feel it would likely be surpassed in the case of UND. vs. NDSU in the regular season or playoffs.

T or F: When UND eventually plays NDSU in the Fargodome, the all-time single game attendance record is broken. I believe that record was just broken this season, and I feel it would likely be surpassed in the case of UND. vs. NDSU in the regular season or playoffs.

Depends on who Fargo's A.D. is......................................

Depends, the attendence in the playoffs has been higher than reported at least on appearance from my seat(albeit in the student section) compared to games with equal or higher attendence.

I feel like the reported attendence for a UND/NDSU game in Fargo could be reported as the highest, even if it wasn't(hype and stuff). You raise a good question though.

I also feel like it'd be a bit similar to the first NDSU/UND basketball game. A lot of years of bent up rivalry expressed in "Sioux suck ****" chants.

Who NDSU's AD is probably doesn't matter. It won't happen until the playoffs(you know they will make this game happen).

Depends, the attendence in the playoffs has been higher than reported at least on appearance from my seat(albeit in the student section) compared to games with equal or higher attendence.

Reported attendance numbers for the NCAA playoffs are commonly underreported by the host school because it affects the amount they pay to the NCAA. Been going on for years.....................

Reported attendance numbers for the NCAA playoffs are commonly underreported by the host school because it affects the amount they pay to the NCAA. Been going on for years.....................

Exactly. So if the UND game was at home during the regular season, yeah, it could be highest reported(hype of course). But would it have more people than the Semi games against GaSo? Eh, could be close for at least the first time or two.

UND doesn't have a series in Denver every season. Denver charges more for season tickets when UND is on the home schedule and less when they are not. Rocket science class dismissed.

Also remember, NDSU does not charge more for tickets regardless of whom is on the schedule. The beef I have with it is that, for example, the same teams aren't always good. Why would NDSU charge say $50 bucks a ticket for SIU tickets if the Missouri State game is a battle between top 25 teams. I am of the opinion the same prices should always be in place.

I completely understand why some may think otherwise and the math backs their case rather than mine. Just an opinion.

Also remember, NDSU does not charge more for tickets regardless of whom is on the schedule. The beef I have with it is that, for example, the same teams aren't always good. Why would NDSU charge say $50 bucks a ticket for SIU tickets if the Missouri State game is a battle between top 25 teams. I am of the opinion the same prices should always be in place.

I completely understand why some may think otherwise and the math backs their case rather than mine. Just an opinion.

Though there's a fine line to be walked with dynamic pricing, it can be an efficient way to capture revenue that is lost in the secondary market. The Twins use a simple model that charges fans a premium for games against the Yankees, White Sox, Red Sox, and another team or two (the specifics are escaping me) and it works quite well. The Giants, over the last few years, have employed a very complex dynamic pricing system that divides teams into several different tiers of demand and then adjusts ticket prices mid-season based on the Giants' success as well as the success of their opponents. The Giants' system is great from a theoretical economic standpoint but fans ended up feeling slighted by ticket values that were different depending on when a fan bought a ticket.

NDSU would be ill-advised to use dynamic pricing for any games outside of SDSU, homecoming, and perhaps UNI for exactly the reason you stated with your SIU/MSU example. If NDSU is to go to a dynamic pricing model (which I think is inevitable given the fact that demand has grown to the capacity of the Fargodome) adding UND to the schedule adds another rock solid premium game with no risk of overstepping that fine line. This would provide a big revenue game with no chance of buyout to replace a guarentee game with a high chance of buyout and lower revenue.

I see your point, but the main use by schools for the dynamic pricing is the ones that are rivals. Those games that will pretty much sell out regardless of how good each team actually is. Similar to what was said above, homecoming, UNI and SDSU are really the only games that meet that criteria for NDSU. Hosting a Montana, MSU or UND would be another opportunity to increase those prices for an "important" game even if NDSU win 60-3.

• Upvote 2

I know in the past the Vikings have required anyone who wants tickets to the Packer game to also purchase tickets to one of their preseason games. Do they still do that? That's another example of taking advantage of a rivalry or important game to boost revenue.

When I see Gene Taylor interviewed to me he comes off as a decent guy. Is it the SU Administration that doesn't want the game or it outside forces. I believe it's the later. I think it's the big football doners and teammakers that don't want the game. Taylor is left dealing with the spin. Just one man's opinion could be wrong. Long year for some in Fargo when they lose to the guys up north.

When I see Gene Taylor interviewed to me he comes off as a decent guy. Is it the SU Administration that doesn't want the game or it outside forces. I believe it's the later. I think it's the big football doners and teammakers that don't want the game. Taylor is left dealing with the spin. Just one man's opinion could be wrong. Long year for some in Fargo when they lose to the guys up north.

My experience in dealing with Gene has always been excellent. I have sent a few emails about a few different things and he has always been very polite, very informative, and extremely quick in responding(usually within a few hours).

You must have missed the interview after the CSU game then.