SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

Buning left in December of 2007. He was the fool that agreed to a $10,000 buy-out clause with both Idaho St. and Southeast Louisiana (which they both excercised). He also locked us into two games with Idaho at $100,000 a pop, barely enough to cover expenses. That was gross. Faison came in May of 2008. He got us $225,000 from Texas Tech (as a non-counter), $250,000 from Fresno St., and $275,000 from San Diego St. Faison has been awesome......................

Fairly certain, per a member of the staff, that UND got around $300,000 for the Texas Tech game. I am thinking $350,000 but I want to be safe and say 300,000. I know it was not 225k.

Really - you guys are that plugged into the athletic dept to know their accounting. Wow :p

Pretty simple math, even for a Bison. I will walk you through it so you might be able to understand how it works. Gross payment of $300,000-350,000 from Texas Tech, minus rough travel expenses of $100,000 or a little more to charter a football team trip. That leaves somewhere around $225,000, which is what someone had heard UND received for the game. That is what net means, revenue minus expenses, with net being what is left. Do I need to make it even simpler for you Dan or could you understand how that worked?

Pretty simple math, even for a Bison. I will walk you through it so you might be able to understand how it works. Gross payment of $300,000-350,000 from Texas Tech, minus rough travel expenses of $100,000 or a little more to charter a football team trip. That leaves somewhere around $225,000, which is what someone had heard UND received for the game. That is what net means, revenue minus expenses, with net being what is left. Do I need to make it even simpler for you Dan or could you understand how that worked?

Better show him a visual aid and make sure you show your work. :D

Yeah I'm sure you're spot on but I do see a few assumptions and you know what they say about assuming?

What assumptions? People had heard reports that the payment to play at Texas Tech was in the $300,000-350,000 range. Someone else heard that UND received $225,000. Another poster thought the cost to travel for the team was around $100,000 when they charter. I also have heard that the cost is in the $100,000-125,000 range. Since the higher payment range minus the projected travel expense would equal the $225,000 number, I said that it might have been the net. I didn't say that it actually was. I even qualified it by saying "may". I didn't assume anything other than that you are a troll that shows up to stir the pot, and the fact that you never add any real value to the conversation. That isn't really much of an assumption, it has been proven time after time.

What assumptions? People had heard reports that the payment to play at Texas Tech was in the $300,000-350,000 range. Someone else heard that UND received $225,000. Another poster thought the cost to travel for the team was around $100,000 when they charter. I also have heard that the cost is in the $100,000-125,000 range. Since the higher payment range minus the projected travel expense would equal the $225,000 number, I said that it might have been the net. I didn't say that it actually was. I even qualified it by saying "may". I didn't assume anything other than that you are a troll that shows up to stir the pot, and the fact that you never add any real value to the conversation. That isn't really much of an assumption, it has been proven time after time.

Hey whatever you think but hear say isn't fact. But then you know everything on the Internet is true!

When the game was signed I remember reading that the payout for the game was $350,000. After travel expenses which are estimated between $100k - $125k it would make sense if the take home was $225k. Fact on the $350 and the rest falls in line.

BTW this is really trivial. Dan you are one hell of a troll.

Hey whatever you think but hear say isn't fact. But then you know everything on the Internet is true!

You do realize that I didn't say any of the information was a fact. I used words like "may". I gave a potential explanation that would explain the different things that people had heard. Different people had heard different numbers, I just pointed out that it was possible they all could be in the right ballpark. But I didn't make any declarative statements, which means I didn't make any statements of fact. Is that your NDSU education showing with your lack of reading comprehension? I think the next fact that you post on this site will be the first, so I'm not sure that you are the right person to be spouting anything about facts.

• 4 weeks later...

So ndsu is paying Prairie View A&M 200k to play in Fargo huh?

There goes the final EXCUSE out the window for not playing UND. Hard to make a lot of money for a home game when you pay 200k in guarantee money.

I can't help but laugh at those chuckleheads.

Having a waiting list for tickets helps.

Having a waiting list for tickets helps.

If NDSU is up 52-0 at halftime....is that 200k really worth it? Fans leaving at halftime to hit BWW or other places do they really get their monies worth? I kinda felt that way when UND would beat on Crookston or Bemidji when its over before halftime I was like...could I get half my money back. I would like to see a good game but when the game is out of hand before halftime is it worth full price. (For the record in the W-L part of the game being over before half was more important to me).

If NDSU is up 52-0 at halftime....is that 200k really worth it? Fans leaving at halftime to hit BWW or other places do they really get their monies worth? I kinda felt that way when UND would beat on Crookston or Bemidji when its over before halftime I was like...could I get half my money back. I would like to see a good game but when the game is out of hand before halftime is it worth full price. (For the record in the W-L part of the game being over before half was more important to me).

Yes it'd be worth it. Because it is a game that counts and gets NDSU to 3-0 in a year where the Valley looks to be very good. People are probably aware going into this game that NDSU should pound on this team. If they don't want to go, someone else will probably want to go. Admittedly, I'd like to play someone a little better.

Yes it'd be worth it. Because it is a game that counts and gets NDSU to 3-0 in a year where the Valley looks to be very good. People are probably aware going into this game that NDSU should pound on this team. If they don't want to go, someone else will probably want to go. Admittedly, I'd like to play someone a little better.

I see that is the most important thing (wins and losses) but as for as financially and the entertainment aspect I see it as not worth 200k. (plus the full price of admission). I know its tough to schedule a team (UND had to scramble when Central Arkansas backed out replaced by Portland State), but if the price for OOC games (not home and home) is 200k or more every year you are either going to go broke, or the UND-NDSU game talk will be started and restarted every year they don't play.

An added benefit is that we don't have to hear "anyone, anywhere" from the NDSU faithful any more. Thanks GT!

• Upvote 2

I see that is the most important thing (wins and losses) but as for as financially and the entertainment aspect I see it as not worth 200k. (plus the full price of admission). I know its tough to schedule a team (UND had to scramble when Central Arkansas backed out replaced by Portland State), but if the price for OOC games (not home and home) is 200k or more every year you are either going to go broke, or the UND-NDSU game talk will be started and restarted every year they don't play.

NDSU isn't going to go broke paying $200,000 for games as long as they are getting 19,000 for games. NDSU will make money off the game. They could make more money off of a home and home series with UND if they used a different ticket structure, but NDSU fans don't want to hear about that.

Prairie View is a "counting" SD Mines and you know it.

NDSU isn't going to go broke paying $200,000 for games as long as they are getting 19,000 for games. NDSU will make money off the game. They could make more money off of a home and home series with UND if they used a different ticket structure, but NDSU fans don't want to hear about that.

All they need is to go 3-8 like in 2009 and that number does drop. I can see NDSU in the future doing what UND does with its ticket prices. Why charge 20 bucks for everygame when you can charge 30 for a UNI or SDSU.