SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

So 2003 (still in DII) until 2014 thats 11 years So after the home and home end in 15 will it be another 11 years? How about GSU? 2006 still don't see them ( I know they backed out one year but until you play them the clock is ticking...6 years and counting). Good luck getting App State. We have never won a FBS game..so what neither has South Dakota State. NDSU is NOT an FBS team (I hate to break it to you but its true). Lets bash Valpo and RM with NDSU's OOC teams outside of transition...Austin Peay, Central Conn State, Wagner, Morgan State, Lafayette, St. Francis, PV A&M, Western Carolina (in 2013). So when we are on the same level of those teams NDSU will play us....gotcha!!! :silly:

First of all, why do you say "Good luck getting App State"? Are you saying they wouldn't play us? If so, then using the general concensus across this board, they must be scared of us and figure they would lose. That is awesome... and completely ridiculous. I don't believe that they are scared to play us. However, they are a more established program than NDSU, so it would be more advantageous for us to play them than vice versa. Similar to the situation between NDSU and UND. Whether you like it or not, NDSU is the more established football program. Yes, you can point out that UND has won more head to head games, but the truth is that no one outside of UND believes that makes UND the more established football program.

This is the way the situation appears to me, and I am trying to be as unbiased as possible. When comparing UND to the teams that you mentioned, I believe everyone outside of UND would put them somewhere between the poorer teams and the better teams. The poorer teams are willing to play a single game in Fargo, and NDSU is fine with that. NDSU is willing to schedule home and homes with the better teams (Montana, Montana State, Georgia Southern). That leaves UND somewhere in between. They are good enough where they believe they deserve more than a single game in Fargo, but not established enough for NDSU to want to schedule a home and home. Again, that is just my opinion on this and how it appears to me.

Also, NDSU's scheduling is not anything out of the ordinary. Look at App State's schedule over the past several years. They have an FBS game, 2 home OOC games, and their conference games each year. This is the same thing that NDSU has been doing. Obviously that strategy has worked well for App State. Maybe NDSU has looked at what the successful teams have done to get to where they are and are attempting to follow that strategy. UND (unless they are willing to play a single game in Fargo), messes up that strategy.

First of all, why do you say "Good luck getting App State"? Are you saying they wouldn't play us? If so, then using the general concensus across this board, they must be scared of us and figure they would lose. That is awesome... and completely ridiculous. I don't believe that they are scared to play us. However, they are a more established program than NDSU, so it would be more advantageous for us to play them than vice versa. Similar to the situation between NDSU and UND. Whether you like it or not, NDSU is the more established football program. Yes, you can point out that UND has won more head to head games, but the truth is that no one outside of UND believes that makes UND the more established football program.

This is the way the situation appears to me, and I am trying to be as unbiased as possible. When comparing UND to the teams that you mentioned, I believe everyone outside of UND would put them somewhere between the poorer teams and the better teams. The poorer teams are willing to play a single game in Fargo, and NDSU is fine with that. NDSU is willing to schedule home and homes with the better teams (Montana, Montana State, Georgia Southern). That leaves UND somewhere in between. They are good enough where they believe they deserve more than a single game in Fargo, but not established enough for NDSU to want to schedule a home and home. Again, that is just my opinion on this and how it appears to me.

Also, NDSU's scheduling is not anything out of the ordinary. Look at App State's schedule over the past several years. They have an FBS game, 2 home OOC games, and their conference games each year. This is the same thing that NDSU has been doing. Obviously that strategy has worked well for App State. Maybe NDSU has looked at what the successful teams have done to get to where they are and are attempting to follow that strategy. UND (unless they are willing to play a single game in Fargo), messes up that strategy.

Can you please provide us with the official FCS hierarchy of scheduling? I would like to know what teams NDSU can schedule in the future. Apparently, not teams who are more established than NDSU, but also apparently not teams that are within a certain level of establishment. It has to be tricky to keep track of what teams are on what level of establishment, as to allow NDSU to schedule them. And how do you know what teams are on the exact same level as NDSU, so you can schedule them? Because we can't have NDSU scheduling a team that is above them or close to them... only teams that are exactly equal or well below.

• Upvote 2

Your definition doesn't take into account 100 years of rivalry. That is something that most people in athletics seem to understand, but certain Bison fans are trying to hide from. That rivalry, even though it was at a different level, and even though it has been on hold for several years, still exists. Fans of other schools see that it exists. Ignoring that factor is just silly because it exists and is a factor for everyone else in the region other than certain diehard Bison fans that still have their feelings hurt. That is the difference between the UND-NDSU situation and any other scheduling situation you try to compare it with.
  • Upvote 2

I think an ASU fan would call you out on saying your scheduling is similar. Virginia Tech and Florida were their FBS games the last two years and LSU a few years before that along with traveling to Michigan in 2014. They play a different caliber of FBS teams than NDSU and its not even close.

I also believe that NDSU is going six year between FCS non-conference road games (2009 @ Sam Houston and 2015 @ Montanta). ASU has non-conference road games scheduled for both 2013 and 2014. They appear to be much more willing to sign home-and-homes than NDSU.

I think ndsu blowhards said the same thing about your volleyball and mens bball teams too....

Until they had to actually play the games of course.

• Upvote 1

Can you please provide us with the official FCS hierarchy of scheduling? I would like to know what teams NDSU can schedule in the future. Apparently, not teams who are more established than NDSU, but also apparently not teams that are within a certain level of establishment. It has to be tricky to keep track of what teams are on what level of establishment, as to allow NDSU to schedule them. And how do you know what teams are on the exact same level as NDSU, so you can schedule them? Because we can't have NDSU scheduling a team that is above them or close to them... only teams that are exactly equal or well below.

Do the posts get translated somehow prior to the UND fans reading them? This is what is frustrating when having these discussions. It appears as though you don't even read a post before you respond. Where did I say NDSU can't schedule a team that is above them or close to them or more established than them? NDSU has scheduled Georgia Southern, Montana, and Montana State. I posted a logical explanation for NDSU's scheduling, and you respond by spewing random inaccuracies. If you would like to attempt to provide a logical response to my logical explanation, feel free to re-read my original post, or if my post did get changed prior to you reading it, please let me know and I will explain to you what I actually wrote.

Your definition doesn't take into account 100 years of rivalry. That is something that most people in athletics seem to understand, but certain Bison fans are trying to hide from. That rivalry, even though it was at a different level, and even though it has been on hold for several years, still exists. Fans of other schools see that it exists. Ignoring that factor is just silly because it exists and is a factor for everyone else in the region other than certain diehard Bison fans that still have their feelings hurt. That is the difference between the UND-NDSU situation and any other scheduling situation you try to compare it with.

Who is the one that chose to stop that 100+ years of tradition? Now the tables are turned and all the UND fans want to hold it against NDSU when UND is the one that chose to end it.

I think an ASU fan would call you out on saying your scheduling is similar. Virginia Tech and Florida were their FBS games the last two years and LSU a few years before that along with traveling to Michigan in 2014. They play a different caliber of FBS teams than NDSU and its not even close.

I also believe that NDSU is going six year between FCS non-conference road games (2009 @ Sam Houston and 2015 @ Montanta). ASU has non-conference road games scheduled for both 2013 and 2014. They appear to be much more willing to sign home-and-homes than NDSU.

Yes, their level of FBS competition has been better than what NDSU has been scheduling. However, NDSU has Kansas State on the schedule in 2013, and Iowa State in 2014. Yes, I realize that these teams aren't at the level of Michigan, Florida, etc., but they aren't that far off. Also, I don't see App State scheduling teams like UND for home and homes. Isn't that what this entire conversation is about?

Also, your comment about the FCS non-conference road games is misleading. There is a reason it is called home and home. The reason is that each team gets a home game, thereby making one of those a non-road game. So you can't simply look at the road games to determine whether or not NDSU is scheduling home and homes with FCS opponents. NDSU has games with Montana State in 2013, Montana in 2014, and Montana again in 2015. Yes, the first two are both in Fargo, but I would imagine the Montana State game is part of a home and home agreement as well. Also, we had a home and home with GSU, but GSU backed out on the game in Fargo last year. Therefore, NDSU had/has at least portions of home and home agreements scheduled with FCS opponents in 2011, 2013, 2014, and 2015.

I was attempting to have an intelligent conversation about this topic, but obviously that is not possible. This is an extremely long post, of which most of the content is correcting comments made about NDSU or your comments on things that I have said. If you don't know something, don't attempt to act like you do. I'm not attempting to comment on UND's schedule. If I was going to attempt to comment on it, I would do a little checking on it first so I don't sound unintelligent.

Who is the one that chose to stop that 100+ years of tradition? Now the tables are turned and all the UND fans want to hold it against NDSU when UND is the one that chose to end it.

Just out of curiosity, in your opinion, had UND not "stopped the rivlary" when it was no longer in their best interest to continue the game (see DII playoff eligibility rules), would NDSU still be playing UND today?

Do the posts get translated somehow prior to the UND fans reading them? This is what is frustrating when having these discussions. It appears as though you don't even read a post before you respond. Where did I say NDSU can't schedule a team that is above them or close to them or more established than them? NDSU has scheduled Georgia Southern, Montana, and Montana State. I posted a logical explanation for NDSU's scheduling, and you respond by spewing random inaccuracies. If you would like to attempt to provide a logical response to my logical explanation, feel free to re-read my original post, or if my post did get changed prior to you reading it, please let me know and I will explain to you what I actually wrote.

You never said NDSU can't schedule the teams above them... but with your logic, App State won't schedule NDSU because: "I don't believe that they are scared to play us. However, they are a more established program than NDSU, so it would be more advantageous for us to play them than vice versa."

It's the same reasoning you gave why NDSU won't schedule UND. How do teams like App State play anybody good? They don't make up crappy justifications to not play a rival that is 70 miles away.

This has probably been said on this post and many other discussions about this topic before.....UND was not going to play NDSU when they had a leg up on them in the number of scholarship players they had compared to UND. Not an even playing field. Also, D1 wins did not count as wins in regards to playoff implications, so it actually hurt UND to play NDSU or any D1 team. That is why UND chose not to play them. Now that UND is full D1 and the playing field is leveled, NDSU is the one that does not want to play UND. So while UND may have been the guilty party in ending the rivalry, NDSU is guilty of officially killing it for good.

• Upvote 1

Also, your comment about the FCS non-conference road games is misleading. There is a reason it is called home and home. The reason is that each team gets a home game, thereby making one of those a non-road game. So you can't simply look at the road games to determine whether or not NDSU is scheduling home and homes with FCS opponents. NDSU has games with Montana State in 2013, Montana in 2014, and Montana again in 2015. Yes, the first two are both in Fargo, but I would imagine the Montana State game is part of a home and home agreement as well. Also, we had a home and home with GSU, but GSU backed out on the game in Fargo last year. Therefore, NDSU had/has at least portions of home and home agreements scheduled with FCS opponents in 2011, 2013, 2014, and 2015.

Yes and no. Technically it's a single-game contract. But it's also a bit of payback for Montana State backing out of a home and home several years ago. Regardless, there won't be another Montana State/NDSU game until another contract is signed. The only current NDSU home and home contracts that I know of are the Montana series and a USD game in Fargo that was part of a contract signed before their MVFC invite.

Yes, their level of FBS competition has been better than what NDSU has been scheduling. However, NDSU has Kansas State on the schedule in 2013, and Iowa State in 2014. Yes, I realize that these teams aren't at the level of Michigan, Florida, etc., but they aren't that far off. Also, I don't see App State scheduling teams like UND for home and homes. Isn't that what this entire conversation is about?

You said NDSU scheduled like ASU and part of that was FBS games. ASU and NDSU's FBS games are not even close.

I actually agree with some of what you said, but my point was that NDSU has not been in any hurry to sign home and home contracts and travel as whole, less than ASU. The first half of the GSU games were played in 2006 and the first half of the Sam Houston one were played in 2007. Until the Montana one was signed, NDSU was obviously not looking to travel to an FCS opponent. Not sure if the MSU game is a home and home (I would guess so), (per Hammersmith, it technically is not) but the point I was making is that NDSU will go 6 seasons between traveling to an FCS non-conference opponent.

+1 for most logical post.

I think the average fan would cringe to think that a rivalry was cast aside because of one university's perceived "leverage". What happens when UND has a better season than NDSU? And this will happen maybe not this year, maybe not next, but it will happen. Will UND have proven themselves worthy or will they have too much leverage to schedule NDSU?

There are those hurt feelings again. It's too bad that Bison fans don't realize how sad that argument sounds to the average sports fan. The rivalry isn't over. Ask the average person on the street. Ask the players that chanted "Sioux Suck" after winning the National Championship. Just because they aren't currently playing doesn't mean the rivalry is over. UND stopped playing because it had a chance of hurting UND in the Division II playoff system. Also, as someone else mentioned, it is clear from the delusions of importance NDSU fans exhibit that NDSU would have dropped UND within a few years. After all, they wouldn't have wanted to play an "inferior team" from a "lesser division". They would have thought it beneath them. UND just put the series on hold before NDSU had a chance. And it is on hold, not ended. The schools will play again on a regular basis at some point.

You come to a UND sports site spouting NDSU propaganda and you don't understand why UND fans don't just accept your "facts" as gospel? Everything you posted is deeply slanted to your NDSU point of view. NDSU is still a relatively new FCS and Division I program that has had good success. They are not at the same level as Appalachian State or Montana. Those schools have had a lot more consistent success at the FCS level than NDSU, at least in part because NDSU is still new to the division. NDSU is 5 years ahead of UND in the transition, but they are again at the same level of competition. Both schools will have some trouble getting quality out of conference opponents, without having to pay out of the nose to get them to travel to North Dakota. Common sense, and public opinion, will win at some point and the schools will again renew their century old rivalry.

You say that Appy State doesn't schedule home and homes with a team like UND. Does Appy State have a century old rival that they are ducking? Do they have a comparable situation with a local opponent? No, they do not. You are trying to compare apples and oranges just to prove your NDSU slanted point on a UND board. You aren't going to win over any UND fans with that kind of argument.

• Upvote 4

I was attempting to have an intelligent conversation about this topic, but obviously that is not possible. This is an extremely long post, of which most of the content is correcting comments made about NDSU or your comments on things that I have said. If you don't know something, don't attempt to act like you do. I'm not attempting to comment on UND's schedule. If I was going to attempt to comment on it, I would do a little checking on it first so I don't sound unintelligent.

Somebody refresh my memory. How strong were Kansas and Iowa State when they played NDSU. It seems like they weren't very good. For sure Kansas wasn't very good. That is quite a stretch to be comparing them to Michigan and Florida . In fact they wouldn't even be in the same ball park as the schools you mentioned.
  • Upvote 1

I do not live in the area anymore, but I find it hard to believe that most NDSU fans feel this way. If they do, that is one powerful kool-aid that is being mixed. It shouldn't even be a question of whether you are an NDSU or UND fan. Its whether you acknowledge a rivalry exists and respect it. Of course you hate each other talk smack when you can, but at the very least you acknowledge it and realize it is bigger than either university.

So South Dakota is one of the better teams and established. Better than UND? Didn't UND just beat them yet again for a conference title? Please tell me how NDSU agrees to a home and home with South Dakota and yet Gene Taylor doesn't sign a home and home with UND. I smell BS in his we will play them every other year line.

So South Dakota is one of the better teams and established. Better than UND? Didn't UND just beat them yet again for a conference title? Please tell me how NDSU agrees to a home and home with South Dakota and yet Gene Taylor doesn't sign a home and home with UND. I smell BS in his we will play them every other year line.

South Dakota is in the Valley for football. That is why they are playing them.

I think USD was a 2 or 1..