SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

If you go back and read some of the pages in the 40s in this forum, you'll see that idea has already been refuted. NDSU wouldn't have to pay a team $250k to play in the Fargodome and they could increase ticket prices for the UND game compared to a game against Whocares State University.

Hasn't it already been pointed out that NDSU doesn't increase ticket prices for specific games? So while it would be worth the price bump to a lot of people, that isn't what NDSU has done lately with prices and so you cannot say "NDSU would make all this money..." when you really mean, "If NDSU changes their ticket pricing system, they make a lot of money."

Watch this post ignite several responses that are rude. facepalm.

What really needs to be decided is are both schools willing to give up an FBS game or a home game every 4 years to play their in state rival. In the world of D1 football, we all know that money is huge factor now. So really both schools need to look at the financial gain or loss that will come from having these games. From NDSU's perspective, they will deffinitely make money by having UND come and play in Fargo. If there is a hojme a home agreement, I doubt that UND will be asking for hundreds of thousands of dollars to play there. So instead of having to pay $200,000 dollars to Robert Morris, you can keep that in your pocket. Plus, like previously stated, NDSU can sell this game as a premium game and make money. Just do the math. Say there are 15,000 tickets sold (taking out students, band, etc). If they sold the UND game for $20 more a ticket, thats $300,000 EXTRA that NDSU would make from this game. So from the money they would use to pay to bring a team in, and the money they would make off of premium priced tickets, that's a profit of $500,000. (just an estimate, of course). So in 2017, NDSU can still schedule 6 home games and still be able to afford not to play an FBS "money game" and play at UND because they have already banked an extra $500,000 in 2015 from scheduling UND at home.

To me this makes sense. Unless I am missing something. It doesn't sound like this is a money issue.

Hasn't it already been pointed out that NDSU doesn't increase ticket prices for specific games? So while it would be worth the price bump to a lot of people, that isn't what NDSU has done lately with prices and so you cannot say "NDSU would make all this money..." when you really mean, "If NDSU changes their ticket pricing system, they make a lot of money."

Watch this post ignite several responses that are rude. facepalm.

We realize that it isn't part of NDSU's current ticket policy. It has become the policy for many other schools and for many professional teams. NDSU is behind the curve on this issue. They are leaving dollars on the table that they could easily be collecting without incurring any additional costs. They could do this for games other than UND. As a business decision, it would make good sense (and cents) for NDSU to adopt this policy whether they schedule games with UND or not. Where else could you potentially add hundreds of thousands of dollars to the bottom line without adding any costs?

I think it'd be nice to get it back at some point. I would like UND to do something at D-I before they schedule it, but it is a nice, close opponent with some fun history. I imagine the first meeting will probably occur in the playoffs though...in the Fargodome ;)

I hope it is in the friendly confines of the Fargo Loaf, we kick ass there

We realize that it isn't part of NDSU's current ticket policy. It has become the policy for many other schools and for many professional teams. NDSU is behind the curve on this issue. They are leaving dollars on the table that they could easily be collecting without incurring any additional costs. They could do this for games other than UND. As a business decision, it would make good sense (and cents) for NDSU to adopt this policy whether they schedule games with UND or not. Where else could you potentially add hundreds of thousands of dollars to the bottom line without adding any costs?

Well in doing the math behind it, you are assuming that they are charging 200% of some of the seats normal value. If you are going to show the math that NDSU would gain money on it, it might be wise to assume they don't change their ticket-pricing model, because....to put it simply, they don't charge any more for a ticket to see UNI than they do to see Lafayette and I haven't heard that the policy is going to change.

As a business decision, of course it makes sense(cents) for NDSU. I don't care if they do it or not, on the one hand, it would raise money. On the other hand, "keep it simple, stupid," and keep it very affordable for a family to go watch a game if they can get tickets.

DaveK crediting NDSU?!? Next thing you know he is going to be voting "Yes" on Measure 4 and in turn, cause me to vote yes. Time to go get drunk. I'll respond to you guys tonight when I get back...or tomorrow when I have a killer headache.

Ya know, as much as I see NDSU's athletic programs as very smug and full of themselves in a way over the top fashion.... I must give credit where credit is due : kudos to their ticket sales dept. for having the integrity to not price gouge for certain games.

You can look at it that way or look at it as money left on the table...I'm sure it's a pretty common practice much like UND charges more for Minnesota and Wisconsin (not sure about Denver) in hockey, if you need the money or can justify it because of demand then I don't have a problem with a few more bucks for a game with a big rival.

But either way it's their call so meh.

Well in doing the math behind it, you are assuming that they are charging 200% of some of the seats normal value. If you are going to show the math that NDSU would gain money on it, it might be wise to assume they don't change their ticket-pricing model, because....to put it simply, they don't charge any more for a ticket to see UNI than they do to see Lafayette and I haven't heard that the policy is going to change.

As a business decision, of course it makes sense(cents) for NDSU. I don't care if they do it or not, on the one hand, it would raise money. On the other hand, "keep it simple, stupid," and keep it very affordable for a family to go watch a game if they can get tickets.

DaveK crediting NDSU?!? Next thing you know he is going to be voting "Yes" on Measure 4 and in turn, cause me to vote yes. Time to go get drunk. I'll respond to you guys tonight when I get back...or tomorrow when I have a killer headache.

UND does use premium pricing for hockey games. So do other schools. Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Denver games are all $15 more per game. 8000 tickets (excluding the students of course) at $15 per per game for those 6 games....do the math, that's $720,000 that UND makes because they charge more for those games. Are people still going to guy those tickets...hell ya!!! And other shcools in the WCHA do it too. Heck, other schools in the NCAA at all levels do it. You think at Alabama charges the same amount for the Vanderbilt game as they do the Auburn game?? Absolutley not!! they realize a high demand game when they see one and realize people would pay a premium price for those games. If NDSU doens't think that people would pay 15-20 dollars more for a UND game, then they are seriously morons. That is a lot of revenue to be lost. If NDSU can't realize the benifit of premium pricing, then that's their problem. But no other game in Fargo will be bigger than a UND NDSU football game. Not Montana, SDSU, UNI...no one. People will pay more for the game.

• Upvote 1

UND does use premium pricing for hockey games. So do other schools. Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Denver games are all $15 more per game. 8000 tickets (excluding the students of course) at $15 per per game for those 6 games....do the math, that's $720,000 that UND makes because they charge more for those games. Are people still going to guy those tickets...hell ya!!! And other shcools in the WCHA do it too. Heck, other schools in the NCAA at all levels do it. You think at Alabama charges the same amount for the Vanderbilt game as they do the Auburn game?? Absolutley not!! they realize a high demand game when they see one and realize people would pay a premium price for those games. If NDSU doens't think that people would pay 15-20 dollars more for a UND game, then they are seriously morons. That is a lot of revenue to be lost. If NDSU can't realize the benifit of premium pricing, then that's their problem. But no other game in Fargo will be bigger than a UND NDSU football game. Not Montana, SDSU, UNI...no one. People will pay more for the game.

The other thing to add is that a significant number of tickets will be resold for big games. And those tickets will not be sold at face value. They will be sold at a premium. Why shouldn't the school be getting part of that premium?

NDSU charges 10.00 more for a homecoming ticket and would have to charge more if UND is on the schedule to make up for the lost revenue of going there. Siouxperfan7 don't flatter yourself - as an old rival it would have a lot of interest but from a FB point of view a playoff team would be of greater interest to most NDSU fans.

NDSU charges 10.00 more for a homecoming ticket and would have to charge more if UND is on the schedule to make up for the lost revenue of going there. Siouxperfan7 don't flatter yourself - as an old rival it would have a lot of interest but from a FB point of view a playoff team would be of greater interest to most NDSU fans.

However, NDSU isn't bringing in a playoff team. It would be a cupcake of a team and they would be paying $200,000+ to get them to Fargo.

How many hours before the game starts do NDSU studesnts stand in line for games no agianst the teams you play....a few hours? How many hours did the students stand in line for the last Sioux/Bison game in 2002 at the dome? Pretty sure is was at least 6 hours...or more!!! How many threads are there on Bisonville about the Montana State game next year in the dome? Or any other game you have on your schedule? How many posts have there been on this thread about the game and on B-vill about the game? This game is not even on the schedule yet here we are talking about it. Don't tell me that there is no interest for this game or that other games have greater interest to Bison fans. You can't honestly believe that. How many posts have you made on this thread about this potential game? You obviously have interest about it, so don't tell me other Bison fans don't.

• Upvote 2

Clearly this was proven in the hours after the national championship game by fans and players. UND wasn't even on their minds after 10 years.

Wait, never mind. Don't flatter yourself Dan.

• Upvote 1

Clearly this was proven in the hours after the national championship game by fans and players. UND wasn't even on their minds after 10 years.

Wait, never mind. Don't flatter yourself Dan.

But, that was just out of habit. They don't mean anything by it, they are just used to chanting meaningless statements. :hypocrite:

I guess if I couldn't beat a team I wouldn't want to scheule them either!! Just schedule OOC games against teams you can beat :lol:

Loss to Sioux Falls!!! Last year last second FG to win. WOW what a team win....... I guess you don't have any teams that you know you can win....

Loss to Sioux Falls!!! Last year last second FG to win. WOW what a team win....... I guess you don't have any teams that you know you can win....

What, exactly, do you get out of trolling on the forum of another school? You aren't making any friends and you certainly aren't helping your argument with statements like this. You really add nothing to the discussion.

But, that was just out of habit. They don't mean anything by it, they are just used to chanting meaningless statements. :hypocrite:

Don't forget the Sioux Suck chants during those MVFC games that NDSU plays. I am sure the Missouri State fans or the Western Illionis fans are wondering "why are they chanting Sioux suck when they aren't playing the Sioux". Just like you said chanting meaningless statements. Before MSU and UM look at the OOC home games of NDSU...since playoff eligible: Austin Peay, Central Conn St, Wagner, Morgan State, South Dakota (funny how that got scheduled before UND), Lafayette, St. Francis. Future OOC home games from 2012: Robert Morris, Prairie View A&M, Montana State, Western Carolina, and Montana. Only USD, Montana, and MSU are home and homes. Such cupcakes on that list (except USD, and the Montana's) and they don't want to play UND. I guess they see UND as not a cupcake but an actual tough opponent that could beat them. Note to Brian Faison....NDSU will only schedule winnable games at home. UND is not winnable.

• Upvote 2

What, exactly, do you get out of trolling on the forum of another school? You aren't making any friends and you certainly aren't helping your argument with statements like this. You really add nothing to the discussion.

Hey I didn't start anything. Just responding to a post. The AD's will work out the schedule it won't be done on any board.

Hey I didn't start anything. Just responding to a post. The AD's will work out the schedule it won't be done on any board.

You mean Brian Faison and the guy who replaces Gene Taylor. As long as he is AD...the game will never be scheduled.

You didn't like what was being said so you lobbed out a shot at UND. NDSU fans say they don't want to play UND because they want to play quality out of conference opponents. Someone points out that NDSU has not been able to schedule very many quality out of conference opponents at home and you throw out Sioux Falls. Sioux Falls has nothing to do with any out of conference opponents that NDSU has scheduled, and everyone on this board knows that UND has scheduled several non-DI opponents during the transition and even has 1 scheduled for this year. You were just taking a shot at UND to deflect from the conversation about NDSU scheduling.
  • Upvote 2

I imagine NDSU is aware it would make more money. Maybe instead of claiming they are so stupid for "thinking people wouldn't pay more," you could accept it that they more than likely are aware a lot of places do it and that it makes more money. Maybe NDSU just doesn't feel it is fair to charge more for one game than another? Whatever the reason is, thats fine with me. Most people don't care.

Don't claim that a UND game would be bigger than the playoffs. Dome in the playoffs last year was exceptional.

How many hours before the game starts do NDSU studesnts stand in line for games no agianst the teams you play....a few hours? How many hours did the students stand in line for the last Sioux/Bison game in 2002 at the dome? Pretty sure is was at least 6 hours...or more!!! Don't tell me that there is no interest for this game or that other games have greater interest to Bison fans. You can't honestly believe that.

hate to break it to you buddy, but last season some people started putting tents outside the dome the night before. That is more than 6 hours. I wait on average probably about 3-5 hours. Some wait more, some wait less. This game would be a unique situation, but it'd be hard to get more excited than for that Georgia Southern game.

We do not play Montana State until 2014. I don't imagine we will start discussing that until next off-season.

You still butthurt that Marcus Williams said Sioux Suck? You still butthurt that some NDSU fans yelled Sioux Suck as one of the chants they have done since they were in college? Quit crying. Some Bison fans are going to say it until the day they die, just like Texas-Texas A&M fans are going to trash the other school now even though they aren't playing anymore.

Don't forget the Sioux Suck chants during those MVFC games that NDSU plays. Before MSU and UM look at the OOC home games of NDSU...since playoff eligible: South Dakota (funny how that got scheduled before UND)NDSU will only schedule winnable games at home. UND is not winnable.

The only place you ever hear them in the student section. It is generally a group of about 25 people. I really don't know where you guys get this information that "OmG!!!! BIsOn FANS aRE sayING SiOUX SUCK!!!! A TON OF THEM!!!!" Typically some drunk kid tries to start it and then gets shut down.

I have heard, no idea if its true, that the USD series was a result of Faison turning down a Taylor offer for a home-and-home for alternating years. Why do you care who NDSU is playing OOC? You know that a lot of teams in good conferences do what they can to get easy OOC games. Should NDSU schedule App St., Georgia Southern, and Montana every year? That will be really fun watching some solid NDSU teams finish 6-5 and miss the playoffs when in a normal schedule they'd have went 8-3.