SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

The one thing that I'm jealous of at NDSU is their football fan support and attendance at the Fargodome. And like I said, I'm not in favor of the game. But IMO, it is foolish to say that a long term arrangement for a football series would not be financially positive for NDSU.

Your attendance is great. Over the last 7 years, the Fargodome has been at 88% capacity, and that is awesome. But I think as is true in Grand Forks, everyone loves a winner. Over the last 7 years, the Alerus has been at 74% capacity and as recently as three seasons ago, UND set an attendance record and the place was at 85% capacity that season. Then came a couple of poor years and our attendance has declined. Same thing could easily happen in Fargo.

IMO, if it were an every-other year series, scheduling a guaranteed sell-out every 4 years would be a positive fiscal policy for both schools.

Just like there is no guarantee in Grand Forks that UND will sell-out for Montana or Montana St. in future years, there is no guarantee that NDSU will sell-out for Robert Morris or Lafayette in future years.

I think we are all discounting the good will that goes along with a championship and the momentum that NDSU has built with season ticket holders.

IMO, NDSU will be in a similar situation to Montana in the next 10 years. Montana stadium capacity is a little over 25k IIRC, but if the capacity was 30k they would still sell out because demand is so high.

The FargoDome will be seen as a liability to attendance within a decade and a game with UND at home will be inconsequential.

I think we are all discounting the good will that goes along with a championship and the momentum that NDSU has built with season ticket holders.

IMO, NDSU will be in a similar situation to Montana in the next 10 years. Montana stadium capacity is a little over 25k IIRC, but if the capacity was 30k they would still sell out because demand is so high.

The FargoDome will be seen as a liability to attendance within a decade and a game with UND at home will be inconsequential.

When will the new stadium talk start...Of course the BSA is first priority.

The demand is high when you lose only 1 game and you win a National Championship. When you win 3 games in a season, the demand will most certainly go down. It is true at UND and NDSU. Attendance totals for both schools have always been good when the team is winning. But in years like 2009 for NDSU and 2010 for UND, you can see how it takes a hit.

The demand is high when you lose only 1 game and you win a National Championship. When you win 3 games in a season, the demand will most certainly go down. It is true at UND and NDSU. Attendance totals for both schools have always been good when the team is winning. But in years like 2009 for NDSU and 2010 for UND, you can see how it takes a hit.

That, of course, goes without saying. But what I am saying is that the FargoDome is so small compared to what demand is expected to be, that I see even in down years a sell out will be very likely.

Even when we were 3-8 I believe attendance averaged over 15k.

Or outbid them. Eastern Kentucky outbid some school, I think it was James Madison, this year even though their stadium held less and they averaged less in attendance. I will say the chances that NDSU allows UND to outbid them are very slim however.
The Ohio Valley helped finance that bid to get the home game.

The one thing that I'm jealous of at NDSU is their football fan support and attendance at the Fargodome. And like I said, I'm not in favor of the game. But IMO, it is foolish to say that a long term arrangement for a football series would not be financially positive for NDSU.

Your attendance is great. Over the last 7 years, the Fargodome has been at 88% capacity, and that is awesome. But I think as is true in Grand Forks, everyone loves a winner. Over the last 7 years, the Alerus has been at 74% capacity and as recently as three seasons ago, UND set an attendance record and the place was at 85% capacity that season. Then came a couple of poor years and our attendance has declined. Same thing could easily happen in Fargo.

IMO, if it were an every-other year series, scheduling a guaranteed sell-out every 4 years would be a positive fiscal policy for both schools.

Just like there is no guarantee in Grand Forks that UND will sell-out for Montana or Montana St. in future years, there is no guarantee that NDSU will sell-out for Robert Morris or Lafayette in future years.

One big difference in a football matchup from past years is that UND would get far fewer tickets allotted than they did in the d2 days. UND used to have an entire endzone plus a section in the corner. UND fans would have much greater difficulty getting tickets now.

When will the new stadium talk start...Of course the BSA is first priority.

Hopefully not for awhile. The dome is a hell of an atmosphere when its full. I'd rather have a slightly smaller venue such as the dome, than a 25-30,000 dome/stadium that has 5,000 empty seats.

Not sure if or when that will happen, but for the size of Fargo and the ever growing fan base 19k will not be enough in the coming years IMO.

I was driving from West Fargo into Fargo on 13th Ave and a new sign said Fargo population 105,549. It won't be long before talk of a new stadium will take place over diversion talk espeically if we have a lot of dry summers and not much of a winter (like now).

One big difference in a football matchup from past years is that UND would get far fewer tickets allotted than they did in the d2 days. UND used to have an entire endzone plus a section in the corner. UND fans would have much greater difficulty getting tickets now.

I'd imagine UND fans getting a fair number of seats throughout the general admission areas. It wouldn't be a ton, but I'd expect a fair amount of UND people in attendence.

don't know if this has been mentiond before or if its even a possiblity but of all the play here first or play every other year or every year how about one game at TCF Bank Stadium/Metrodome (neutral sites) with the winner getting the first home game and let the marbles start rolling about every year or every other year? just a thought?

don't know if this has been mentiond before or if its even a possiblity but of all the play here first or play every other year or every year how about one game at TCF Bank Stadium/Metrodome (neutral sites) with the winner getting the first home game and let the marbles start rolling about every year or every other year? just a thought?

I don't think the hold up is where the first game is going to be held. Last game was in Grand Forks.

NDSU gets the first game. Last game was at the Alerus. Plus the Bison had to play Back-to-Back in Grand Forks the year before the dome opened up and the year the dome opened up if I recall because of NCC scheduling got remodelled or something like that.

Though it would be pretty cool to play in the dome or TCF once. Kinda like Texas-Oklahoma playing at the Texas State Fair litterally right in the middle of the two campuses....maybe we build a stadium in Hillsboro ;)

• I agree let the Bison have the first game, then alternate. Might be good to play in Bismarck but I don't think their Stadium at Bismarck State (or whatever they are called) is big enough. They should play WBB or MBB in Bismarck but that is for a different thread. I wouldn't take it our of state. You would also take the revenues for Businesses in Fargo or Grand Forks that they won't want to give up.

home and homes would probably be a money losing situation for the fargodome/ndsu. Giving up a home game or money game every other year for a slight bump in ticket sales sounds like a loser. I have no idea why either NDSU or UND would want to play in Bismarck. Thats a lose-lose for everyone expect Bismarck.

As far as building a new stadium goes, I think they will have to wait until they can sell out a much larger arena, assuming they stay indoors. There is no point in building a 25,000 seat facility when you can already seat 19000, unless the fargodome is reaching the end of it's life span, which is probably 20 years away. A new indoor place would probably have to be in the low 30k range to be worth it, and at that point you would be looking at a 200+ million dollar construction bill.

The other possibility would be to expand the fargodome, assuming it could be done and at a plausible price. 100 million for 10,000 more seats would be a bargain.

home and homes would probably be a money losing situation for the fargodome/ndsu. Giving up a home game or money game every other year for a slight bump in ticket sales sounds like a loser. I have no idea why either NDSU or UND would want to play in Bismarck. Thats a lose-lose for everyone expect Bismarck.

As far as building a new stadium goes, I think they will have to wait until they can sell out a much larger arena, assuming they stay indoors. There is no point in building a 25,000 seat facility when you can already seat 19000, unless the fargodome is reaching the end of it's life span, which is probably 20 years away. A new indoor place would probably have to be in the low 30k range to be worth it, and at that point you would be looking at a 200+ million dollar construction bill.

The other possibility would be to expand the fargodome, assuming it could be done and at a plausible price. 100 million for 10,000 more seats would be a bargain.

Not sure if you've read through this whole thread, but there's been discussion about premium pricing for the "big game" opponents such as UND, Montana, Northern Iowa, etc. NDSU could charge an extra $10-$20 a ticket for certain games for an additional $150,000-$200,000 in ticket sales. Also add in the fact that NDSU wouldn't have to pay UND since it's a home and home. Not sure what the going rate is for and FCS team such as Bobby Mo, but lets say it's $100,000. So not sure how that is a losing propostion for NDSU, Fargo, or the Fargodome?

I was told by one of our Bison friends that their season ticket holders wouldn't stand for that, and it was too confusing.

We pay for our season tickets well in advance of the season--they are due in February. I just paid mine. Consequently, it would be pretty difficult to jack up the price for a certain game, and non-season ticket purchasers would be PO'd if they paid more the season ticket holders one would think.

We pay for our season tickets well in advance of the season--they are due in February. I just paid mine. Consequently, it would be pretty difficult to jack up the price for a certain game, and non-season ticket purchasers would be PO'd if they paid more the season ticket holders one would think.

Yes, for next season it would be to late. But it's probably something that the Bison Athletic Department should consider for future schedules.