SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

Sorry UND is worse than: Austin Peay, Central Conn State, Wagner, Morgan State, Lafayette, and St. Francis? Those are your home games since being playoff eligible. I left out South Dakota since they are a former NCC team. 4 years of OOC cupcakes got you a NC. Hey whatever works...right?

Clear your cards thats a good Bingo!

Difference in AD's. GT-every other year. BF-every year. Since NDSU's OOC is full for the next 3 seasons I guess we will have to wait until 2015 where only Montana is on the schedule. But since that is a road game and a possible loss...I don't see UND on their schedule in 2015 either because of our track record in the Fargodome (4-1) or going 0-2 before a possible FBS game or MVFC play is not where NDSU would like to be.

Ya that it :lol: I'm sure their scared of the D2 record from adecade ago. Face it they DONT need to play UND and they hold all the cards. Use all the lame excuses you (most fabricated through your Kelly Green glasses). Get over it and move on just like you keep ripping on Bison fans for not doing.

Ya that it :lol: I'm sure their scared of the D2 record from adecade ago. Face it they DONT need to play UND and they hold all the cards. Use all the lame excuses you (most fabricated through your Kelly Green glasses). Get over it and move on just like you keep ripping on Bison fans for not doing.

The difference is NDSU fans claim to have moved on from the rivalry while they still obsess over us. We still obsess over you because we don't want to have to move on in the first place.

That is absolutely not true. Say the Fargodome holds 18,500 with 2,000 reserved for students (I'm too lazy to look up the real numbers). If NDSU sells 95% of its tickets for a game against Wagner at an average price of $20 that's a total gate revenue of $313,500. Now you schedule UND and charge an average of $35 a ticket and sell 100% of the tickets. That's a gate revenue of $577,500 and an extra $264,000. How is that not doing anything for your athletic budget? On top of that, you save on your advertising budget because you really don't have to advertise for the game at all, a simple press release announcing the game and its inclusion on all promotional items that include the full schedule will sell it. That's a week or more, depending on how the schedule sets up, where you can cut your advertising budget at least in half. So there's a financial incentive to add on to the scheduling stability and the renewal of the best rivalry series either of our schools has for any sport.

3,800 student seats...i think.

I don't have the energy to read through the 3 pages of posts for this thread that have turned up today.....................

But personally, I don't care to play them in football anytime soon. Fan interest is good at both schools.............obviously great at NDSU right now, and I'm optimistic that it'll pick up at UND with Big Sky play and coming off an 8-3 season.

I'd rather make sure we are playing in basketball, volleyball, baseball, softball, etc, on an annual basis..........................

When that first FCS football playoff pairing between UND and NDSU comes, it'll be a fun ride.................................

I don't have the energy to read through the 3 pages of posts for this thread that have turned up today.....................

But personally, I don't care to play them in football anytime soon. Fan interest is good at both schools.............obviously great at NDSU right now, and I'm optimistic that it'll pick up at UND with Big Sky play and coming off an 8-3 season.

I'd rather make sure we are playing in basketball, volleyball, baseball, softball, etc, on an annual basis..........................

When that first FCS football playoff pairing between UND and NDSU comes, it'll be a fun ride.................................

An interesting thing to take into account is that since the schools are both closeby, the likelihood of getting paired is probably pretty decent. You know how the NCAA works...they like to keep costs down.

An interesting thing to take into account is that since the schools are both closeby, the likelihood of getting paired is probably pretty decent. You know how the NCAA works...they like to keep costs down.

My point exactly.

I have no doubt that going forward, that both North Dakota and NDSU will be perennial contenders for playoff consideration on an annual basis........................

Just look at Montana and Montana St this year. If not for Sam Houston, they would have met in the national semifinal game. Can you imagine how crazy the atmosphere would be around this state if the first meeting had a trip to Frisco on the line?

• Upvote 1

I just wish they were in the same conference...oh well.

yeah, if NDSU would express some interest in rounding out the Big Sky & being a travel partner for UND, I think the Big Sky would listen. eventually, SDSU and USD could follow. but this has been discussed on other threads before... :sad:

Just look at Montana and Montana St this year. If not for Sam Houston, they would have met in the national semifinal game. Can you imagine how crazy the atmosphere would be around this state if the first meeting had a trip to Frisco on the line?

I'd poop my pants in excitement. Then again, I pooped my pants this year in anticipation for the Georgia Southern showdown. The really nice thing about playing a team from far away....just opens up more seats for the Fargo Faithful :) The nice thing about playing a UND, UNI, or SDSU in the playoffs if you win, is not only winning, but having something that a rival fanbase doesn't get to have.

Is there a chance UND would host a UND-NDSU playoff game? Or will it always be in Fargo because the dome is bigger.

I believe if you are a top 4 seed you get the game, but otherwise it comes down to a bid to the NCAA by both teams. I am assuming Fargo would get it since they can offer up a better bid since they can put more butts in the seats.

Is there a chance UND would host a UND-NDSU playoff game? Or will it always be in Fargo because the dome is bigger.

Only way that game would be at the Alerus Center is if we were a seeded team in the playoffs. Top 4 teams get byes and get ranked 1 thru 4. A seeded team will always host over an unseeded team in the playoffs regardless of how bit the opponents stadium is. If both teams are unseeded, than NDSU would likely outbid us, as that is the way sites games between unseeded teams are chosen.

Depends. If UND were seeded in the top 4, they would host. If neither team were seeded, it would come down to bidding. Chances are, NDSU would have the upper hand in a bidding war due to more seats they can sell, but it doesn't mean UND couldn't outbid them.

It doesn't make NDSU anymore money than a different home game does. In fact, playing it annually would lose NDSU a pretty penny of money. Losing a home game every other year....yuck.

Do most UND fans not realize that every game is sold out or nearly sold out at the FargoDome?

There is little to be gained financially for NDSU to play UND, wanting the game to be played for other reasons is just fine, but don't continue to use the financial gain argument it doesn't hold water.

The one thing that I'm jealous of at NDSU is their football fan support and attendance at the Fargodome. And like I said, I'm not in favor of the game. But IMO, it is foolish to say that a long term arrangement for a football series would not be financially positive for NDSU.

Your attendance is great. Over the last 7 years, the Fargodome has been at 88% capacity, and that is awesome. But I think as is true in Grand Forks, everyone loves a winner. Over the last 7 years, the Alerus has been at 74% capacity and as recently as three seasons ago, UND set an attendance record and the place was at 85% capacity that season. Then came a couple of poor years and our attendance has declined. Same thing could easily happen in Fargo.

IMO, if it were an every-other year series, scheduling a guaranteed sell-out every 4 years would be a positive fiscal policy for both schools.

Just like there is no guarantee in Grand Forks that UND will sell-out for Montana or Montana St. in future years, there is no guarantee that NDSU will sell-out for Robert Morris or Lafayette in future years.

• Upvote 1

Depends. If UND were seeded in the top 4, they would host. If neither team were seeded, it would come down to bidding. Chances are, NDSU would have the upper hand in a bidding war due to more seats they can sell, but it doesn't mean UND couldn't outbid them.

Of course, with the nickname fiasco, if we were awarded a "home" game as a seeded team, we'd have to "host" NDSU at the Fargodome......................... :glare:

Only way that game would be at the Alerus Center is if we were a seeded team in the playoffs. Top 4 teams get byes and get ranked 1 thru 4. A seeded team will always host over an unseeded team in the playoffs regardless of how bit the opponents stadium is. If both teams are unseeded, than NDSU would likely outbid us, as that is the way sites games between unseeded teams are chosen.

So all we have to do is be in the top 4 and get NDSU unseeded...sounds easy......NOT.

Your attendance is great. Over the last 7 years, the Fargodome has been at 88% capacity, and that is awesome. But I think as is true in Grand Forks, everyone loves a winner. Over the last 7 years, the Alerus has been at 74% capacity and as recently as three seasons ago, UND set an attendance record and the place was at 85% capacity that season. Then came a couple of poor years and our attendance has declined. Same thing could easily happen in Fargo.

Apples and Oranges - Our student section is around 3,800 or 20% of the FargoDome. If yours is about the same that's 30%. of the Alerus. If attenance is counted as those sections as full then the numbers are wrong. Counting those seats as always full improves your season average more.

So all we have to do is be in the top 4 and get NDSU unseeded...sounds easy......NOT.

That's all. Unless we still have sanctions against us...then there is no way we could host a playoff game. We would be undefeated, the #1 team in the nation, and have the #1 seed going into the playoffs....but we would have to go on the road for every game. I wonder if the voters of ND will realize that in June?

Or outbid them. Eastern Kentucky outbid some school, I think it was James Madison, this year even though their stadium held less and they averaged less in attendance. I will say the chances that NDSU allows UND to outbid them are very slim however.

That's all. Unless we still have sanctions against us...then there is no way we could host a playoff game. We would be undefeated, the #1 team in the nation, and have the #1 seed going into the playoffs....but we would have to go on the road for every game. I wonder if the voters of ND will realize that in June?

Not as long as "Sioux" are in the "Frozen" Four.