SiouxSports.com Forum

Importance of Home Field Advantage

bincitysioux

This is football and nickname related....................

Everyone knows how important it is to be playing at home during the postseason.

Of the 33 champions crowned in the history of FCS:

• Just 11 of those teams won away games during the playoffs
  • Just 6 of those teams won more than one away game
  • Just two FCS champions did not host any games during their playoff runs*

*James Madison won all 3 playoff games on the road in 2004, and Eastern Kentucky won 1 road game in the first tournament in 1978 when just four teams competed.

Just something to chew on........................

• Upvote 4

Come on guys, we are talking about one or two games in FCS football, not about being banned from the Rose Bowl. People are making a much bigger deal than it really is.

I think Coach Mussman, his assistants, his players and everyone else that works their asses off for the football program would disagree.

• Upvote 4

It's not that I don't respect the other UND teams, I have season football tickets and go to as many basketball and women's hockey games as my schedule will allow. The point is that we would be caving in to the threats of the NCAA as they force a liberal agenda down our throats. I would love nothing more than to see UND join a big conference that plays FBS football on ESPN, but I don't believe we have to sacrifice our identity to achieve that goal. We will be in the Big Sky after next year and scheduling will no longer be a big issue for us. We are talking about a couple of home games, that's all.

It's not that I don't respect the other UND teams, I have season football tickets and go to as many basketball and women's hockey games as my schedule will allow. The point is that we would be caving in to the threats of the NCAA as they force a liberal agenda down our throats. I would love nothing more than to see UND join a big conference that plays FBS football on ESPN, but I don't believe we have to sacrifice our identity to achieve that goal. We will be in the Big Sky after next year and scheduling will no longer be a big issue for us. We are talking about a couple of home games, that's all.

I agree that the current state of affairs is bogus. I've been involved with large NGO regulators my whole professional life, they have memories and they generally win.

I digress.....one thing that hasn't been discussed much is how the Big Sky will view its newest member, banned from hosting home playoff games in what is clearly the conferences most important sport. What can be said for sure is its bad for the Big Sky.

exposure for FCS playoff games has gone up exponentially thanks to ESPN3. In the end the Big Sky cares more about exposure for their teams and conference than they do about where the game is being broadcasted from. I'm sure they're not thrilled about our delima but they knew what they were possibly getting into when they offered us an invite.

exposure for FCS playoff games has gone up exponentially thanks to ESPN3. In the end the Big Sky cares more about exposure for their teams and conference than they do about where the game is being broadcasted from. I'm sure they're not thrilled about our delima but they knew what they were possibly getting into when they offered us an invite.

They certainly care about the success of their teams in the playoffs and with success comes more exposure. Home field plays a role in potential success. I would submit that they had no earthly idea the legislature would force UND into sanctions. As the matter was settled at the time of membership invitation. We'll have to wait and see if they publicly care.

They certainly care about the success of their teams in the playoffs and with success comes more exposure. Home field plays a role in potential success. I would submit that they had no earthly idea the legislature would force UND into sanctions. As the matter was settled at the time of membership invitation. We'll have to wait and see if they publicly care.

They'll always be "publicly" concerned, but privately Fullerton may actually pulling for us. Bottom line for the Big Sky is financial: the Sioux name has no impact whatsoever on the Big Sky conference's finances.

I agree that the Big Sky doesn't care where a game is being broadcast from. But I think they probably care a great deal at how well their member institutions perform, in that they want them to do well in the playoffs especially and advance through the tournament. IMO this data illustrates that every time that North Dakota makes the FCS playoffs, they will be at a definate disadvantage compared to every other participant. We could end up the #1 seed and still have to travel to Rhode Island for example. On the other hand, we could go 7-4 and be "the last team in". With our resources we could in theory out-bid a higher ranked team for a opening round home game, all things being equal..........but things aren't going to be equal.

I'm happy that it looks like we'll be the Fighting Sioux for the foreseeable future. It honestly doesn't affect me all that much, other than it looks like my favorite football team's season will usually end earlier than I like. I feel I am objective enough to recognize that unless the NCAA changes its policy, the 2nd most visible athletic program at the University will be severely harmed going forward.

Think about this when talking about playoffs. 1972 NFL season. Undefeated Miami Dolphins 15-0 AT the Pittsburgh Steelers. Thats right there was no home field advantage back then. It was on a rotation. So the #1 seeded Dolphins (my team) played the Steel Curtain in Pittsburgh. Moral of the story....."good teams always find a way to win".....INCLUDING ON THE ROAD!!! We may be like NDSU seeing 1 home game...2 at best but most of the time we would be on the road, as for basketball they are thinking of a neutral site to host the championship anyways. The Final Five will be in St. Paul and the Frozen Four will NEVER be at the Ralph. So will it affect sports...really??? NO!

If football teams in the Big Sky are competing against UND for a top notch recruit do you think that will be used against UND? Or Basketball for that matter? Hell even non-conference such as SDSU, USD, NDSU? Going throughout your career without the chance of a home playoff game? I don't know the answer....my guess is opposing coaches will drill that into recruits, every advantage they can get.

If football teams in the Big Sky are competing against UND for a top notch recruit do you think that will be used against UND? Or Basketball for that matter? Hell even non-conference such as SDSU, USD, NDSU? Going throughout your career without the chance of a home playoff game? I don't know the answer....my guess is opposing coaches will drill that into recruits, every advantage they can get.

I'm sure they will use that against UND, but there are other factors recruits look for like playing time, actually having a shot at the playoffs, etc.

I don't know if anyone saw the DAZ sports last night but Faison was discussing how any discussions with certain institutions regarding future schedules have been put on hold by those institutions. ie. Minn, Wisc, Iowa. I don't know about anyone else, even though it's great that we get money games against Texas Tech, Fresno St & others, I would for once like to be able to travel & take in one of those games. A short jaunt down to the Cities or into Iowa or Wisco, is very doable. No real need to take off any or much work and cost wise most likely within reason. But that will not happen with this current situation. Getting back to the news story, it sounded as if there were discussions about games in many sports not only football over the next many years, but apparently the word now is "wait & see" Considering how difficult it has been to schedule, especially football during the transition, Faison didn't look thrilled at the premise having to wonder which schools have road blocks up and which don't when trying to make future schedules.

I don't know if anyone saw the DAZ sports last night but Faison was discussing how any discussions with certain institutions regarding future schedules have been put on hold by those institutions. ie. Minn, Wisc, Iowa. I don't know about anyone else, even though it's great that we get money games against Texas Tech, Fresno St & others, I would for once like to be able to travel & take in one of those games. A short jaunt down to the Cities or into Iowa or Wisco, is very doable. No real need to take off any or much work and cost wise most likely within reason. But that will not happen with this current situation. Getting back to the news story, it sounded as if there were discussions about games in many sports not only football over the next many years, but apparently the word now is "wait & see" Considering how difficult it has been to schedule, especially football during the transition, Faison didn't look thrilled at the premise having to wonder which schools have road blocks up and which don't when trying to make future schedules.

I'm sorry but Faison and Kelley are 1 of the same. No proof of this thought but maybe Faison is just saying that because of his "personal" stance on the nickname thing. I mean really is there a list of other teams not going to play us due to the name? Is Illinois not playing us or Nebraska, or Wyoming or Iowa State? Please; Faison is as full of sh-t as Kelley.

• Downvote 1

I'm sorry but Faison and Kelley are 1 of the same. No proof of this thought but maybe Faison is just saying that because of his "personal" stance on the nickname thing. I mean really is there a list of other teams not going to play us due to the name? Is Illinois not playing us or Nebraska, or Wyoming or Iowa State? Please; Faison is as full of sh-t as Kelley.

Say what you want about Kelley and Faison, but it is VERY true that Maturi at UM cannot schedule UND in FB because the Board of Regents will not let him as long as the Sioux name stands. I do not know details of Iowa or UW, but suspect the same. As was stated, it would be wonderful to travel 30 minutes for MSP alums to watch UND play UM, 4 hours to Madison, or 4 hours to Iowa City. UND men BB did play in Madison this past year and I was there and it was fun though they got hammered. I think it was scheduled, as was the SB games recently because the 3 year waiting period to change the name had not passed. Once that date passes I think Faison is not going to get that benefit. There is strong sentiment among many Minnesotans that the NCAA is a bunch of crap, but as long as the university administrations in midwest states hold the PC position Faison has a problem and it surely affects those fans and local alumni who would like to see UND play up to some of these major schools as well as hurting recruiting the midwest.

Say what you want about Kelley and Faison, but it is VERY true that Maturi at UM cannot schedule UND in FB because the Board of Regents will not let him as long as the Sioux name stands. I do not know details of Iowa or UW, but suspect the same. As was stated, it would be wonderful to travel 30 minutes for MSP alums to watch UND play UM, 4 hours to Madison, or 4 hours to Iowa City. UND men BB did play in Madison this past year and I was there and it was fun though they got hammered. I think it was scheduled, as was the SB games recently because the 3 year waiting period to change the name had not passed. Once that date passes I think Faison is not going to get that benefit. There is strong sentiment among many Minnesotans that the NCAA is a bunch of crap, but as long as the university administrations in midwest states hold the PC position Faison has a problem and it surely affects those fans and local alumni who would like to see UND play up to some of these major schools as well as hurting recruiting the midwest.

As I read the post Faison was talking about other institutions not just UM, UW and Iowa. Did I read that wrong??

As I read the post Faison was talking about other institutions not just UM, UW and Iowa. Did I read that wrong??

I did not see the DAZ thing and do not know how extensive the undercurrent is with midwest schools. On a positlve note, the new UM prez is an ex Stoney Brook guy and very sports oriented so we may have a little history that will turn positive once he is in place. Maturi recognizes the $ value of games against UND especially in MSP, but when he approaches the Regents he gets turned down. Of course he may not be long in the job either the way things are over on campus with the athletic non achievement.

I did not see the DAZ thing and do not know how extensive the undercurrent is with midwest schools. On a positlve note, the new UM prez is an ex Stoney Brook guy and very sports oriented so we may have a little history that will turn positive once he is in place. Maturi recognizes the $ value of games against UND especially in MSP, but when he approaches the Regents he gets turned down. Of course he may not be long in the job either the way things are over on campus with the athletic non achievement.

Anyway to overturn the board of regents or are they the actual boss(es) of the university? Also my post was if Faison was talking about other schools putting us on hold (not UM, UW, and Iowa) sorry if i read it wrong.

I would submit that they had no earthly idea the legislature would force UND into sanctions. As the matter was settled at the time of membership invitation. We'll have to wait and see if they publicly care.

This is the right take on it, when UND was being courted by the Big Sky the dissolving of the nickname was a done deal and was proceeding according to plan, in the Big Sky's eyes there was a 0% chance this would be an issue down the road. Now that it has reappeared and has the possibility of becoming a drawn-out legal issue once again, they have to be eyeballing it with at least a little concern regarding scheduling issues and possible tournament implications (remember conference champions host tournaments in the Big Sky), how much they care is unclear at this point.

They're probably not going to say anything publicly until North Dakota decides whether or not they want to take the NCAA to court, if they do go to court I'm sure the Big Sky will release a statement listing what (if any) concerns they have over the issue.

I wondered how Montana was reacting to this news being they supposedly were a big push for the Big Sky pursuing UND and that other school :glare: , but I haven't seen anything in the papers or on any Griz blogs, and my daughter who goes to school at Montana said she hasn't heard anything except the usual comments which are basically "Why doesn't the stupid NCAA just let them keep the name?" so apparently they are not shook up over the news, which is good.

So we should abandon 80 years of tradition so that our FCS football team can MAYBE play 1 or 2 playoff games at home? I'm sorry, but the price is to high.

So UND football has been around longer than the Sioux nickname. So We should put 100+ years of football tradition at risk for keeping the name?

• Upvote 2

Shouldn't we be thankful UND has a football team? UNO cut their football program to move D1. St Cloud almost cut their football program. Numerous FCS teams don't have scholarships: You think they are worried about playing on the road for the playoffs?

Sounds like selfish reasons, boiling down to "I wanna see UND win!"

Coaches and student athletes know where the program is at. They have the choice to go other places. Just like non scholarship program kids.

Some things are bigger than all of us and are worth fighting for.

First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.

• Downvote 1

You people are trigger happy with the negative votes on these boards when someone has a differing opinion. I respect everyones view on here and I understand that it is a slight disadvantage to not have home field advantage during playoffs. It's still early and it's still possible for progress to be made with the NCAA in terms of reducing the penalties or being removed off of the hostile and abusive list.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1