SiouxSports.com Forum

Importance of Home Field Advantage

bincitysioux

You people are trigger happy with the negative votes on these boards when someone has a differing opinion. I respect everyones view on here and I understand that it is a slight disadvantage to not have home field advantage during playoffs. It's still early and it's still possible for progress to be made with the NCAA in terms of reducing the penalties or being removed off of the hostile and abusive list.

I agree and technically we are not even on the list per the 2007 lawsuit agreement. We will go on the list August 15th. That is almost 4 months from now. A lot can happen. The state law doesn't even start until August 1st so maybe when the law is enacted the NCAA will be singing a different tune. Anything is possible.

While I have definitely have concerns about the potential of a continued NCAA sanctions, the story isn't over and the Fat Lady hasn't sung.

In spite of the Forum mocking and ridiculing him today in their editorial, Earl Strinden is still more plugged in than anyone on this board or some Fargo Forum "journalist" writing B.S. editorials. If he is confident there will be an NCAA meeting after the legislature has adjourned, all the chicken little sky is falling stuff on this board is just not worth an ounce of anxiety.

Earl Strinden, a former leader of UND’s Alumni Association, backed the legislative action. He said Tuesday the NCAA’s latest statement “is not anything to be overly concerned about.”

Strinden, a former Republican majority leader in the state House, said he’s convinced the NCAA leaders still could be moved.

“I’m not surprised by this and I’m not concerned about it,” he said. “The fact that the meeting was going to be an open meeting caused them to cancel, but there will be, I’m confident, a meeting coming up when the Legislature is over.

“They were coming to North Dakota” until they learned the meeting would be open. “Why would they come to North Dakota if they weren’t willing to talk about it?”

Link

While I have definitely have concerns about the potential of a continued NCAA sanctions, the story isn't over and the Fat Lady hasn't sung.

In spite of the Forum mocking and ridiculing him today in their editorial, Earl Strinden is still more plugged in than anyone on this board or some Fargo Forum "journalist" writing B.S. editorials. If he is confident there will be an NCAA meeting after the legislature has adjourned, all the chicken little sky is falling stuff on this board is just not worth an ounce of anxiety.

Link

When is the session over?

I think Coach Mussman, his assistants, his players and everyone else that works their asses off for the football program would disagree.

You're right, but as a FB season ticket holder for a number of years now, there is nothing I've seen in the last two years that would suggest that a home playoff FB game is on the horizon before this logo/nickname issue is put to bed once and for all.

When is the session over?

Likely early next week.

The Legislature can meet for no more than 80 days. (Good) Friday will be the 74th day of session. Legislators are hoping to save five or so days for a special session to deal with redistricting and health care reform. If they do not save those days, the governor can call them back in for a special session.

Bismarck Tribune link

Anyway to overturn the board of regents or are they the actual boss(es) of the university? Also my post was if Faison was talking about other schools putting us on hold (not UM, UW, and Iowa) sorry if i read it wrong.

The board of regents at Minnesota is "God". Other than the state legislature they have absolute authority over the U of Minn. for decision making.

Think about this when talking about playoffs. 1972 NFL season. Undefeated Miami Dolphins 15-0 AT the Pittsburgh Steelers. Thats right there was no home field advantage back then. It was on a rotation. So the #1 seeded Dolphins (my team) played the Steel Curtain in Pittsburgh. Moral of the story....."good teams always find a way to win".....INCLUDING ON THE ROAD!!! We may be like NDSU seeing 1 home game...2 at best but most of the time we would be on the road, as for basketball they are thinking of a neutral site to host the championship anyways. The Final Five will be in St. Paul and the Frozen Four will NEVER be at the Ralph. So will it affect sports...really??? NO!

Staying with the pro example you use here, I think your moral is wrong. It should read something more along the lines of "a historically great team with multiple hall of famers will find a way to go undefeated and win the super bowl, including a road win at Pittsburgh, a feat which has yet to be replicated." You and I usually agree, and I enjoy your posts, but this example is absurd. It is hard enough to win a national championship playing all but the title game at home. Doing it all on the road is literally next to impossible, the numbers bear that out. To some, que sera sera-the name is worth it. I need to think on it some more. But I know this...I'd rather have my opponent forced to walk that road in the recruiting battle than walk it myself.

One way for this home playoff in football not to matter is to jump all the way to FBS. That won't help women's BB or women's hockey, bowl games are not under the rule of the NCAA. The Big Sky is a great opportunity, but those of you who are bemoaning the loss of home football playoffs should maybe push to get the Sioux into the WAC, I hear they are desperately looking for members and can only dream of getting schools with as good a name as UND. ;)

before you crucify me, this is a joke :D (not the part about the WAC needing to get schools like UND)

One way for this home playoff in football not to matter is to jump all the way to FBS. That won't help women's BB or women's hockey, bowl games are not under the rule of the NCAA. The Big Sky is a great opportunity, but those of you who are bemoaning the loss of home football playoffs should maybe push to get the Sioux into the WAC, I hear they are desperately looking for members and can only dream of getting schools with as good a name as UND. ;)

before you crucify me, this is a joke :D (not the part about the WAC needing to get schools like UND)

I like it. In the words of the common man, "you're either on to something, or you're on something."

I like it. In the words of the common man, "you're either on to something, or you're on something."

In all honesty, if we could build a new stadium on campus and a training facility UND would be a very attractive school for a conference like the WAC, MAC, or Sun Belt (football only). FBS is not out of the realm of possibility down the road.

In all honesty, if we could build a new stadium on campus and a training facility UND would be a very attractive school for a conference like the WAC, MAC, or Sun Belt (football only). FBS is not out of the realm of possibility down the road.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. You think a "save the Sioux, move to FBS" campaign wouldn't bring in the dollars? Why wait down the road on this? The nickname iron is hot NOW! Alumni are clamoring for a reason to get behind this president, the AD, and stand up publicly for this university. If a move is anywhere in their plans, I would think about moving it a lot closer to the end of the transition. Have the courage that NDSU showed when they picked up and left.

This nickname issue could be the defining moment for the university. Will the leadership make it a positive or negative? The voters of ND have spoken through their elected legislators. Now it's the university's turn.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, I don't think we could generate enough financial support from the alumni and community to build a new stadium and training facility. Plus, looking at our football performance over the last several seasons would be a big concern for an FBS conference. I think we will be in a FBS conference just not for at least 5-10 years.

Unfortunately, I don't think we could generate enough financial support from the alumni and community to build a new stadium and training facility. Plus, looking at our football performance over the last several seasons would be a big concern for an FBS conference. I think we will be in a FBS conference just not for at least 5-10 years.

The Sioux beat Lamar 31-6 last year IIRC. The same Lamar that is teetering on the doorstep of the WAC. I still like the Big Sky, but the WAC will rise again - they have before.

If we could genuinely get a WAC invite we should take it. The national exposure on ESPN would be worth it alone. I'm just afraid our facilities are not up to par with WAC standards (Idaho Vandals excluded). Surely Kelley and Faison have explored this possibility. The Big Sky is a nice conference to be in, but the WAC would give us huge national exposure.

Have you guys seen the current WAC? I would want no part of that.............

I would like to add a huge DITTO! The current WAC & future WAC with the schools they are courting is only FBS by the slimmest of name only. Montana may some day go there but not if it remains close to it's current state, they're no dummies. yuck.

I would like to add a huge DITTO! The current WAC & future WAC with the schools they are courting is only FBS by the slimmest of name only. Montana may some day go there but not if it remains close to it's current state, they're no dummies. yuck.

So you wouldn't want to play in a conference that gets national coverage on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN3, with the possibility of playing in a televised bowl game? Seems to me that would be more appealing to potential recruits than playing a home playoff game. Now everybody hit the negative comment button, I'm a glutton for punishment.

So you wouldn't want to play in a conference that gets national coverage on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN3, with the possibility of playing in a televised bowl game? Seems to me that would be more appealing to potential recruits than playing a home playoff game. Now everybody hit the negative comment button, I'm a glutton for punishment.

The WACs TV deal is on the chopping block at ESPN. Its a terrible league.

Continuing WAC members were recently given painful indication of the changes wrought by conference realignment when ESPN reportedly said it would cut rights fees for the 2011-12 season by more than 75 percent.

The WAC, which had been receiving about $4 million a year from ESPN, will get, maybe, $1 million in the wake of Boise State's departure, people in the industry say. UH, as an exiting member, will not share in the 2011-12 WAC disbursements.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20110327_the_future_of_uh_sports_on_tv_is_a_big_unknown.html

What ever became of the rumors about BSC Commish Fullerton and NBC over the acquisition of Versus Channel and it becoming NBC Sports Channel? I seem to remember something going around that the Big Sky might get some exposure through that...

What ever became of the rumors about BSC Commish Fullerton and NBC over the acquisition of Versus Channel and it becoming NBC Sports Channel? I seem to remember something going around that the Big Sky might get some exposure through that...

I didn't hear about that, if it came to fruition it could add some decent exposure to the Big Sky. I wouldn't mind seeing schools from the Big Sky and other Mid West conferences forming a FBS conference to take the place of the WAC.

I'm not opposed to having a long-term vision of FBS for North Dakota. But I don't feel that now is the time and the current incarnation of the WAC is nothing to strive for IMO. It has fallen so far that it has become the worst FBS league there is. When we were searching for a conference, some of us (including myself) floated the idea of pursuing affiliate membership for football in the Southland as a last resort.....................the WAC has become a Southland on steroids, and probably isn't done suffering either. By the time ESPN is done renegotiating their TV deal with them, I'd argue that UND on it's own will have a better television deal, if being on TV is what is most important to you.

To me, being in the worst FBS conference versus the best FCS conference isn't a step up........

And by the way, all the FCS playoff games are on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN3........

Just add to my original post..................

Since the playoff format began in 1978, the home teams have a record of 281-107. If my math is correct, that would indicate that the home team wins about 72% of the time during the playoffs........................