SiouxSports.com Forum

Importance of Home Field Advantage

bincitysioux

....and not to mention the home team usually has a better winning percentage/record (each of the top four seeds receiving a first-round bye and a home game in the quarterfinals*) and are expect to win ;)

*the tournament has changed four times since 1978.

off topic: another thing wrong with IAA (that's for you dave) is that the playoff selection seems to be back room and smoke filled. Its anyones guess who is in and who is out. Where as our buthockey is perfectly represented and computer based. Where people usually predict the playoff field with over 90% accuracy.

....and not to mention the home team usually has a better winning percentage/record (each of the top four seeds receiving a first-round bye and a home game in the quarterfinals*) and are expect to win ;)

*the tournament has changed four times since 1978.

off topic: another thing wrong with IAA (that's for you dave) is that the playoff selection seems to be back room and smoke filled. Its anyones guess who is in and who is out. Where as our buthockey is perfectly represented and computer based. Where people usually predict the playoff field with over 90% accuracy.

not hard to predict the field when there's 58 teams to choose from. the number of "bubble" teams is much smaller in college hockey than in FCS football.

It is too early for anyone to get too excited about anything. How many more years before UND is even eligible for a playoff game in anything other than hockey? We have at least a couple of years to see how this thing plays out. In that time period the legislature may change their mind because of the situation, or we may get to the point where the NCAA says okay, you have enough approvals and you are off the list. During that time, the hockey teams can't wear the logo in the NCAA tournament. Not a huge thing as the fans will still wear it. We can't host an NCAA tournament hockey game, but we essentially can't now because they are off-campus. There is time to work things out and let the dust settle one way or the other. I would like to see the quality of the teams improve a bit before we worry about scheduling MN, WI, and IA in football or basketball. I do not see much positive in getting hammered in any game, and it doesn't help the ego or reputation getting hammered by the Gophers with the current state of their teams.

If it doesn't work out within a couple years, the legislature can change the law, the nickname can go away, and we really haven't lost that much in the mean time. Or, we can convince the NCAA that we are right, win a lawsuit against them, and then move forward with everything and the Fighting Sioux tradition. Let's not get too worked up today about what might happen three, four, or five years from now.

It is too early for anyone to get too excited about anything. How many more years before UND is even eligible for a playoff game in anything other than hockey? We have at least a couple of years to see how this thing plays out. In that time period the legislature may change their mind because of the situation, or we may get to the point where the NCAA says okay, you have enough approvals and you are off the list. During that time, the hockey teams can't wear the logo in the NCAA tournament. Not a huge thing as the fans will still wear it. We can't host an NCAA tournament hockey game, but we essentially can't now because they are off-campus. There is time to work things out and let the dust settle one way or the other. I would like to see the quality of the teams improve a bit before we worry about scheduling MN, WI, and IA in football or basketball. I do not see much positive in getting hammered in any game, and it doesn't help the ego or reputation getting hammered by the Gophers with the current state of their teams.

If it doesn't work out within a couple years, the legislature can change the law, the nickname can go away, and we really haven't lost that much in the mean time. Or, we can convince the NCAA that we are right, win a lawsuit against them, and then move forward with everything and the Fighting Sioux tradition. Let's not get too worked up today about what might happen three, four, or five years from now.

We have one calendar year. UND is playoff eligible fall of 2012, its first year of BigSky play. That would be one full and one partial recruiting cycles under sanctions.

We have one calendar year. UND is playoff eligible fall of 2012, its first year of BigSky play. That would be one full and one partial recruiting cycles under sanctions.

We are that far into the transition already? I thought that maybe we were three years in with two to go. If we only have one year left, then it is a little more urgent.

We are that far into the transition already? I thought that maybe we were three years in with two to go. If we only have one year left, then it is a little more urgent.

15 months or July 1, 2012!!!! Its almost time to count the days instead of months or years.

Great post.

Everybody is all worked up about scheduling and playoff games already. Let's be honest, the football schedule has been piss poor for a few years now and that's during a time where anyone was fair game to play. On top of that we couldn't beat half of the piss poor teams on our football schedule or a good NAIA Sioux Falls team in our own building. I don't see our football team playing a full FCS schedule and making the playoffs, with a chance to host a playoff game for a few years after we are playoff eligible, so let's just cool down and let things play out.

Great post.

Everybody is all worked up about scheduling and playoff games already. Let's be honest, the football schedule has been piss poor for a few years now and that's during a time where anyone was fair game to play. On top of that we couldn't beat half of the piss poor teams on our football schedule or a good NAIA Sioux Falls team in our own building. I don't see our football team playing a full FCS schedule and making the playoffs, with a chance to host a playoff game for a few years after we are playoff eligible, so let's just cool down and let things play out.

Not to mention in 2012 we are playing some non-qualifier rather than playing NDSU or USD so it seems that our administration isn't thinking much about our playoff eligibility in 2012 either.

Great post.

True enough, this program has not had a signature victory since beating UNI in 2006. Comparable to NDSU and USD victories and SDSU's almost victory over Minnesota, NOT! This program in my mind is behind schedule and I am not sure the weak schedule this coming Fall will tell us if very much has changed.

Great post.

Bitching about the transitional seasons accomplishes nothing and looking at those years is a ridiculous way to predict future success.

It seems to me the correct conversation should be about whether the Sanctions themselves will delay success.

With regard to scheduling, it should be noted that for the 2010 season only 2 BigSky teams did not play a non-qualifying game.

Bitching about the transitional seasons accomplishes nothing and looking at those years is a ridiculous way to predict future success.

It seems to me the correct conversation should be about whether the Sanctions themselves will delay success.

With regard to scheduling, it should be noted that for the 2010 season only 2 BigSky teams did not play a non-qualifying game.

I'm not totally convinced that sanctions will have that much of an impact. As someone posted earlier, teams that won with the home field advantage were seeded higher and thus were favored to win regardless of the location of the game. I respect that others feel differently and goes to show that UND easily has some of the most passionate fans in the FCS, but honestly our team needs to have a Boise State mentality that we will play anyone, anytime, anywhere and win! A winning tradition, good training facilities, good media coverage, and loyal fan base will attract high level recruits to UND.

I'm not totally convinced that sanctions will have that much of an impact. As someone posted earlier, teams that won with the home field advantage were seeded higher and thus were favored to win regardless of the location of the game. I respect that others feel differently and goes to show that UND easily has some of the most passionate fans in the FCS, but honestly our team needs to have a Boise State mentality that we will play anyone, anytime, anywhere and win! A winning tradition, good training facilities, good media coverage, and loyal fan base will attract high level recruits to UND.

You can argue that we might not have a home playoff game for a while and that is legitimate. But I am guessing that you would have a different opinion of the importance of playing at home if we were talking about giving up home ice for the WCHA playoffs. Playing at home is a great advantage that you wouldn't want the hockey team to give up.

How about you explain that logic to christopher.mussman@und.nodak.edu and please share his response with the rest of us. Try and keep a straight face as you do so.

I apologize for my sarcasm, but It's difficult for me to fathom how we arrived at disagreeing on the value of having home field in the football playoffs. I've never heard of such an argument.

You can argue that we might not have a home playoff game for a while and that is legitimate. But I am guessing that you would have a different opinion of the importance of playing at home if we were talking about giving up home ice for the WCHA playoffs. Playing at home is a great advantage that you wouldn't want the hockey team to give up.

WCHA playoffs are not NCAA tournament games. Big Sky playoffs are not NCAA tournament games. Those games would not be impacted by the NCAA sanctions.

How about you explain that logic to christopher.mussman@und.nodak.edu and please share his response with the rest of us. Try and keep a straight face as you do so.

I apologize for my sarcasm, but It's difficult for me to fathom how we arrived at disagreeing on the value of having home field in the football playoffs. I've never heard of such an argument.

It's not that I don't see the importance of it, I'm a season ticket holder and love college football and want big things to happen for UND. But I honestly feel that the NCAA has overstepped their bounds and is bullying UND, regardless of anybody's views concerning the issue UND or the state of North Dakota shouldn't have a liberal agenda forced on them out of fear of sanctions. I'm not saying losing home field advantage in a home playoff scenario doesn't suck, I'm just saying we have to stand up for ourselves and the price for that is sacrificing hosting a possible playoff game. I will continue to support UND athletics with my attendance and donations but there is no reason for me to believe that UND would be hosting a playoff game in the near future anyways.

It's not that I don't see the importance of it, I'm a season ticket holder and love college football and want big things to happen for UND. But I honestly feel that the NCAA has overstepped their bounds and is bullying UND, regardless of anybody's views concerning the issue UND or the state of North Dakota shouldn't have a liberal agenda forced on them out of fear of sanctions. I'm not saying losing home field advantage in a home playoff scenario doesn't suck, I'm just saying we have to stand up for ourselves and the price for that is sacrificing hosting a possible playoff game. I will continue to support UND athletics with my attendance and donations but there is no reason for me to believe that UND would be hosting a playoff game in the near future anyways.

This whole arguement is ridiculous. Having home field in any sport at any time is extremely important in helping your chances to advance. When and if it happens in football or women's hockey we don't know but I for one am going into the end of transition with the attitude that it is going to happen right away. The negative people posting on here need to understand that no one is buying your bull. If you are a true fan of UND we all need to look at what is best for all the programs at UND. Believe it or not there are a lot of men's hockey fans who are also big fans of football and maybe even women's hockey too. We do not want to dismiss what a successful football program can do for the University. Giving the football program the best chance to win is critical.

• Upvote 2

This is a totally different discussion than your previous one on the impact of not hosting football playoff games.

Did NDSU look like they were close to hosting a playoff game in '09? No way. Yet there they were in '10 hosting one, and damn near hosting two.

I do not disagree at all with the importance of home playoff games. It is just that for a few years the odds of UND being able to host an NCAA playoff game (not WCHA, not Big Sky) seem pretty remote. That gives some time to thoroughly sort through this mess created by the NCAA. There do not appear to be any significant reasons to get all wound up at this particular point in time about not hosting a home NCAA playoff game. As the competitivness of UND's non-hockey teams improves to the point where hosting an NCAA tournament game becomes a reasonable possibility, then it becomes more critical from a timing perspective. Honestly, we are not there right now.

This whole arguement is ridiculous. Having home field in any sport at any time is extremely important in helping your chances to advance. When and if it happens in football or women's hockey we don't know but I for one am going into the end of transition with the attitude that it is going to happen right away. The negative people posting on here need to understand that no one is buying your bull. If you are a true fan of UND we all need to look at what is best for all the programs at UND. Believe it or not there are a lot of men's hockey fans who are also big fans of football and maybe even women's hockey too. We do not want to dismiss what a successful football program can do for the University. Giving the football program the best chance to win is critical.

Couldn't agree more. I'm waiting for the next argument that playing outdoors in the rain is better for the passing game than indoors on turf. How about the best two minute drill offense is the wishbone? Or that when you win the toss you always give your opponent the ball and the wind? Onside kicks and two point conversions are the only way to go?

No one is posting negative comments on here or trying to sell bull. I respect where you are coming from and I too want what is best for UND football and basketball. What I am saying is that it is way to early to be considering abandoning 80 years of tradition before we give the administration and legislators the opportunity to meet with the NCAA behind closed doors and try and work out a compromise, one that results in UND hosting home games (very possible). If after that meeting has taken place and the NCAA has ruled that UND cannot host playoff games then I might be willing to rethink my position on the logo and it's effects on the university. Having a successful football program is detrimental to the growth and exposure of UND, I know once we start having serious success at the FCS level we will be targeted by bigger FBS conferences along with Montana.

I do not disagree at all with the importance of home playoff games. It is just that for a few years the odds of UND being able to host an NCAA playoff game (not WCHA, not Big Sky) seem pretty remote. That gives some time to thoroughly sort through this mess created by the NCAA. There do not appear to be any significant reasons to get all wound up at this particular point in time about not hosting a home NCAA playoff game. As the competitivness of UND's non-hockey teams improves to the point where hosting an NCAA tournament game becomes a reasonable possibility, then it becomes more critical from a timing perspective. Honestly, we are not there right now.

If I'm not mistaken, the University, the State Board of Higher Ed, and the State Legislature has been sorting through this mess for 5 years or so................how long do they need?

The arguement that "well the football team didn't look all that competetive last season and obviously because of that they'll still be crappy two seasons from now, so screw em' ", is pretty lame in my book.

Look at our own hockey team.............in 1995-96 they were a game over .500 and lost ON THE ROAD in the first round of the WCHA playoffs. The following year they won more than 30 games and won the national title.

Matt brought up NDSU. Let's look at them a little closer..................they were 3-8 in 2009. A year later they won 4 more games in the regular season, and played in 3 playoff games. They won 1 game at home, and 1 on the road. They lost their third game in overtime ON THE ROAD. I watched that game, and despite EWU being the higher seed, and were "expected to win", I'm convinced that the outcome could have been different if that game were played in Fargo.

What I am saying is that it is way to early to be considering abandoning 80 years of tradition before we give the administration and legislators the opportunity to meet with the NCAA behind closed doors and try and work out a compromise, one that results in UND hosting home games............

I agree with that as well. IMO, the State and University should get one more year to resolve this in a favorable way for UND. As long as the football team is not eligible for the playoffs, they are not being hurt. I love the name, the tradition, and everything it stands for as much as the staunchest supporters, but in my mind there would be nothing "honorable" about retaining it if in doing so it places nearly a quarter of the University's student-athletes at a competetive disadvantage in the sport that they compete in.

I say one more year because I hold UND football to a high standard, and I fully expect them to compete in 2012 and challenge for a playoff berth.

What ever became of the rumors about BSC Commish Fullerton and NBC over the acquisition of Versus Channel and it becoming NBC Sports Channel? I seem to remember something going around that the Big Sky might get some exposure through that...

I didn't hear about that, if it came to fruition it could add some decent exposure to the Big Sky. I wouldn't mind seeing schools from the Big Sky and other Mid West conferences forming a FBS conference to take the place of the WAC.

Comcast, which owns Versus, recently purchased NBC Universal.................

Versus airs a fair amount of the minor sports from the Mountain West, Pac 10, Big 12, and Sun Belt. I think they have a few MWC football games each season as well. I can't imagine that the growing Versus/NBC Sports Group would be too interested Big Sky athletics. They seem to be positioning themselves to become a major competitor with ESPN and Fox Sports Net. If anything, in a best case scenario,I think the growth of Versus, and the potential formation of a Pac-12 Network, could result in more TV exposure for the Big Sky on regional Fox Sports Net channels and Altitude.