SiouxSports.com Forum

Importance of Home Field Advantage

bincitysioux

If I'm not mistaken, the University, the State Board of Higher Ed, and the State Legislature has been sorting through this mess for 5 years or so................how long do they need?

The arguement that "well the football team didn't look all that competetive last season and obviously because of that they'll still be crappy two seasons from now, so screw em' ", is pretty lame in my book.

Look at our own hockey team.............in 1995-96 they were a game over .500 and lost ON THE ROAD in the first round of the WCHA playoffs. The following year they won more than 30 games and won the national title.

Matt brought up NDSU. Let's look at them a little closer..................they were 3-8 in 2009. A year later they won 4 more games in the regular season, and played in 3 playoff games. They won 1 game at home, and 1 on the road. They lost their third game in overtime ON THE ROAD. I watched that game, and despite EWU being the higher seed, and were "expected to win", I'm convinced that the outcome could have been different if that game were played in Fargo.

I absolutely agree. NDSU of 2010 is a good example of what can happen. I expect us to compete for a BSC title in year one. We lost at Montana by 10, basically without a quarterback, to a team that finished 3rd in the BSC. UND football is close and will be increasingly competitive at the FCS level.

I love the Sioux name as much as anyone. I've had season tickets for football for many years, attending most games for more than 40 years. The team will get stronger and recruiting will steadily improve. I think we saw that this year. Selfishly, I want to see UND host football playoffs in my lifetime once again. Home field matters. Absolutely and even in year one.

I see the general public, and even a fair number of Sioux fans, getting numb to the whole battle over the nickname. A consensus of Sioux fans in my circle believe that even if we can win a battle or 2 in court, the debate will never die until the name changes. Unfortunate, but true. Spirit Lake voted 2 to 1 in favor. But that also means one in every 3 Spirit Lake voter was in favor of dropping it. I'm willing to bet 10 years ago it would have been 75-25, or more, in favor of the nickname. There has been gradual erosion for years and I don't think a court ruling will change that. Unfortunate, but true. It's like a bad toothache. It's not going away.

UND and UND football is bigger than a nickname. "If I'm not mistaken, the University, the State Board of Higher Ed, and the State Legislature has been sorting through this mess for 5 years or so................how long do they need?" I think the realistic opportunity to save the name was years ago. Mistakes were made years ago that crippled the process.

It's almost sad for me to say, but a year from this fall I'd rather be watching a North Dakota football playoff game in the Alerus, than listening to a Sioux football playoff game a 1000 miles away from Grand Forks. In either case, I'll be cheering for us. (and wearing my lucky Sioux shirt).

WCHA playoffs are not NCAA tournament games. Big Sky playoffs are not NCAA tournament games. Those games would not be impacted by the NCAA sanctions.

You missed my point. I know that WCHA playoff games aren't impacted.

The point is that most people who say that playing at home isn't important only say that because the hockey team isn't impacted by this. If the hockey team could lose home playoff games, I am guessing that these same people would change their opinion.

You missed my point. I know that WCHA playoff games aren't impacted.

The point is that most people who say that playing at home isn't important only say that because the hockey team isn't impacted by this. If the hockey team could lose home playoff games, I am guessing that these same people would change their opinion.

As much as i support UND football they have not even come close to the national and international notoriety of the men's hockey program. Fighting Sioux hockey is the premier team in the Dakotas. I hope one day we will see a slight shift towards football and basketball, but for now our hockey team is a tremendous source of pride for us and special accommodations should be made for them.

As much as i support UND football they have not even come close to the national and international notoriety of the men's hockey program. Fighting Sioux hockey is the premier team in the Dakotas. I hope one day we will see a slight shift towards football and basketball, but for now our hockey team is a tremendous source of pride for us and special accommodations should be made for them.

My point is still the same. The only reason you think that homefield advantage isn't important is because this doesn't impact hockey. You would change your tune if it did.

And I totally disagree that there should get special accommodations..

I think every accomodation should be made to the football team to put them into a position so that they are one day as highly regarded as the hockey team is. Voluntarily putting them at a competetive disadvantage does nothing to achieve this.

After reading 4+ pages of opinions which for the most part fall into one of these categories...

1) The nickname needs to be changed now to avoid sanctions and hurt our sports teams

2) The nickname should never be changed because we'll be selling out our legacy and the damage will be minimal

3) The nickname should only be changed after all legal avenues have been exhausted, the teams will have to endure some damage until it reaches it conclusion

...what seems important to me regardless of which camp you are in is the State needs to get moving on this immediately if they're going to take the lawsuit avenue, I'll be pissed if they rock on their nuts for 6 months and then file...then another 6-9 months to their court date...then another continuence...then the trial finally starts in early 2013 or something, this needs to be settled one way or the other ASAP.

• Upvote 1

After reading 4+ pages of opinions which for the most part fall into one of these categories...

1) The nickname needs to be changed now to avoid sanctions and hurt our sports teams

2) The nickname should never be changed because we'll be selling out our legacy and the damage will be minimal

3) The nickname should only be changed after all legal avenues have been exhausted, the teams will have to endure some damage until it reaches it conclusion

...what seems important to me regardless of which camp you are in is the State needs to get moving on this immediately if they're going to take the lawsuit avenue, I'll be pissed if they rock on their nuts for 6 months and then file...then another 6-9 months to their court date...then another continuence...then the trial finally starts in early 2013 or something, this needs to be settled one way or the other ASAP.

I agree 100%

It is impossible to compare UND football and UND hockey. I know everyone wants to, but how can you compare a team that is already 90% drafted by professionals to one that might get someone drafted if they're a stud or maybe some free agent looks? WCHA hockey is dang near the next best thing to NHL hockey. The recognition will not be the same because the product related to it's particular sport aren't even close. Damn Frattin went straight to the NHL...seriously!

The NDSU comparison is a good one (put the hatred aside please). A team with a so-so record can get in, ride a defense, a wave of emotions, a belief in what is going on....and the chips were there for them to get a second home game in the NATIONAL SEMIFINALS had they taken care of business on one or two plays. You just never know how fast UND football will come around, and if it is sooner rather than later, it will be a b*tch for a deserved team not to be rewarded with a home game or possibly two or three (EWU).

• 9 months later...