SiouxSports.com Forum

Former UND hockey player sends Faison scathing e-mail for testifying a

siouxfan29

Was Faison called to testify? If so, he had no choice (or face contempt).

And what choice did he have when testifying? His boss' boss told him, "Change it." His boss told him, "Change it." At that point his personal opinion isn't worth a bucket full of warm spit. He has to do what he's been directed or he's out of a job.

The Sic has it right. I don't know why people can't see that.

Perfectly said in the article...I think this letter sums up the thoughts of all or most of UND alum. I spend thousands of dollars each year following the UND hockey team. In fact am headed to Green Bay this weekend and went to the final five last weekend. Oh and if the Sioux are fortunate enough to make it back to St Paul I will be there as well. Bottom line I do not think this administration understands the passion Sioux fans have.

I was wondering since when does Burggraf get to decide what Faison's job discription is? I love the part where he says it will cost UND donations. I think I just pointed out a couple of weeks ago how much DONATIONS HAVE GONE UP! This leader could easily be determined to be an extortion letter by threatening to cause economic harm if the writer does not get his way. Does he think he is an associate of Chicago Outfit like the great benefactor? Faison is a man with large cajones since he knew what he was getting into and still did it. How many of you would have had the cajones to do what he has done, namely his job.

• Downvote 14

Perfectly said in the article...I think this letter sums up the thoughts of all or most of UND alum. I spend thousands of dollars each year following the UND hockey team. In fact am headed to Green Bay this weekend and went to the final five last weekend. Oh and if the Sioux are fortunate enough to make it back to St Paul I will be there as well. Bottom line I do not think this administration understands the passion Sioux fans have.

How much have you given the university though over the years?

• Downvote 1

I was wondering since when does Burggraf get to decide what Faison's job discription is? I love the part where he says it will cost UND donations. I think I just pointed out a couple of weeks ago how much DONATIONS HAVE GONE UP! This leader could easily be determined to be an extortion letter by threatening to cause economic harm if the writer does not get his way. Does he think he is an associate of Chicago Outfit like the great benefactor? Faison is a man with large cajones since he knew what he was getting into and still did it. How many of you would have had the cajones to do what he has done, namely his job.

Frank doesn't decide what Faison's job description is, it is laid out in black and white. What he does get to voice is his opinion, which by the way a majority of alumni and fans agree with.

Donations being high has no direct correlation to the nickname fiasco, it has to do with allegiance and respect for the University. When the PC crowd raises $100,000,000, come back and we'll have the discussion. Don't expect fundraising to remain on an upward trajectory if the administration continues to cross alumni and fans.

If anyone has the "mob" mentality, it is the outsiders that have penetrated the administration building, and bowed to the wishes of the minority, regardless of history, respect, or tradition. Standing up to the academic elite is what takes guts. Thanks to Hak, Frank, and the many others that have taken a stand. I'm guessing if others are called from the sidelines ~ they will respond! :angry:

I'm using my Negative Rep on you early today. But please don't fret, as I will log back in tomorrow, pick out another one of your verbal banquets, and Negative Rep that as well....

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

He was requested to come give his views on the matter. He was not subpoenaed, he was there on his own free will, as was Kelly.

To clarify my position. I am a UND letterwinner and huge Sioux name supporter. I just don't know how much wiggle room these guys have or if they need to follow the lead of their bosses.

Frank doesn't decide what Faison's job description is, it is laid out in black and white. What he does get to voice is his opinion, which by the way a majority of alumni and fans agree with.

Donations being high has no direct correlation to the nickname fiasco, it has to do with allegiance and respect for the University. When the PC crowd raises $100,000,000, come back and we'll have the discussion. Don't expect fundraising to remain on an upward trajectory if the administration continues to cross alumni and fans.

If anyone has the "mob" mentality, it is the outsiders that have penetrated the administration building, and bowed to the wishes of the minority, regardless of history, respect, or tradition. Standing up to the academic elite is what takes guts. Thanks to Hak, Frank, and the many others that have taken a stand. I'm guessing if others are called from the sidelines ~ they will respond! :angry:

And what is that job description? Don't expect doantions to stay coming in? Gee how long have I been hearing that claim? Standing up to a bunch of people who think they should be in charge is what courage is. Respect now there is a joke. Respect is all the Native American slurs I have been hearing all my life in this town?

And what is that job description? Don't expect doantions to stay coming in? Gee how long have I been hearing that claim? Standing up to a bunch of people who think they should be in charge is what courage is. Respect now there is a joke. Respect is all the Native American slurs I have been hearing all my life in this town?

Personally getting sick of this, suck it up and quit being so soft. Being white, when people make racist slurs against me, I'm expected to shrug it off, white people make racist slurs against anyone, the sky is falling! someone do something about it!

Here we go again...with all the native american slurs you've been hearing in this town. Where are the documented charges identifying racism in this town? And when you dig these up how exactly are these tied to the fighting sioux name?

Personally getting sick of this, suck it up and quit being so soft. Being white, when people make racist slurs against me, I'm expected to shrug it off, white people make racist slurs against anyone, the sky is falling! someone do something about it!

Yeah, um......thats not helpful.

Respect is all the Native American slurs I have been hearing all my life in this town?

Can you explain to me how removing the moniker will solve the issue you put forth?

There will always be jerks in the world. Removing the moniker won't resolve that.

Well put.

• Upvote 1

Well, not exactly...

Faison was replaced by McKinley Boston as NMSU athletic director 14 Dec 2004. Pistol Pete was replaced by Lasso Larry in August 2005. Pistol Pete reappeared in 2007. Faison assumed his AD duties at UND in May 2008.

Please don't construe any of the above as endorsement of Faison's actions regarding the Fighting Sioux nickname, nor of his testimony in Bismarck. But please be accurate in assertions as to his involvement in New Mexico.

These dates are pretty easily verified with NMSU and UND documents.

True . . .to a point. Faisson left the AD position for a position higher up at NMSU. And a simple review of the resources on the internet (I know . . . I know . . . not exactly scholar-level research) shows that Faisson, not Boston, was the driving force behind the administration's desire to drop Pistol Pete. I apologize if my time-line was not as air tight as I appear to have made it seem -- I didn't mean to mislead and make it appear as though Mr. Faisson left NMSU immediately for UND, with his mascot-killing CV tucked in his back pocket.

The only point I sought to make was this: Mr. Faisson has actively changed (or worked with others to change) a beloved mascot at another school for fluffy and unsubstantiated PC reasons (Pistol Pete). And Pistol Pete reappeared very, very shortly after Mr. Faisson left NMSU. And now, here is Mr. Faisson engaging in similar actions. No, he didn't start this fight. In all likelihood, Mr. Faisson probably never heard of UND or the Sioux name issue until he applied for the job.

And Mr. Faisson could be, and may continue to be, a very good AD for UND. The same internet research regarding Pistol Pete will also reveal that Faisson moved NMSU athletics light-years forward with massive fund raising, building and re-building of facilities, and managed to move NMSU into the WAC at a time when conference moves were rare, and the WAC was considered a (more) legitimate D-I conference. And all you have to do is scan through some of the NMSU releases and articles from the time Faisson was at NMSU to see the enormous impact he had on the athletics therein.

But he spoiled his stay ay NMSU with his Pistol Pete nonsense.

Similarly, he is spoiling his stay at UND with his Fighting Sioux anti-name nonsense.

He could -- as I noted -- just as easily sat in Grand Forks and announced that the process will paly out, and he will take whatever marching orders he is given by the State and the President.

The SBOHE literally HANDED him this cover, when they announced time and again that THEY, the SBOHE, and not Mr.s Faisson (or Mr. Kelley) have any final word on the name issue.

I personally think its too bad.

I personally think Mr. Faisson has the chops to help guide UND Athletics into a great new era. Do not forget, this is the same man who managed to leverage a Big Sky invite -- and was smart enough to accept.

But he is in a position of being more than a bean counter, and more than a director. As the AD, alumni, students, and former athletes expect -- fair or not -- that the AD will not bad mouth our school. And when you preach doom and gloom and devisiveness, and you defacto agree with the NCAA that our name is hostile and abusive -- in the opinion of many you are badmouthing our school and our dedicated and loyal alumni and students (most of whom support the use of the name and disagree strongly with the hostile and abusive allegations).

And when you are so willing, so earnestly and diligently willing, to toss the school under the bus in the name of Political Correctness, then many people are not going to give a good hoot in hell whether you are a Star Administrator.

Why should they worry about there jobs? What have they done that their employer hasn't supported?

Herein lies the problem........ Aren't the people of ND their overall employers? They have ignored them for far too long and now are being put back in their place. The backlash of all this will be severe as the SBOHE will be in for the fight of their existance in the near future.

Worry about their jobs? If I were on the SBOHE I would be.

Herein lies the problem........ Aren't the people of ND their overall employers? They have ignored them for far too long and now are being put back in their place. The backlash of all this will be severe as the SBOHE will be in for the fight of their existance in the near future.

Worry about their jobs? If I were on the SBOHE I would be.

This implies that the ND population has an informed opinion about higher ed. Outside the current nickname battle, 95% of North Dakotans dont know a damned thing about the issues facing higher ed.