SiouxSports.com Forum

Former UND hockey player sends Faison scathing e-mail for testifying a

siouxfan29

More alumni/athlete coming out for the Fighting Sioux Name/Logo

http://www.grandfork...icle/id/197793/

I can't believe how well written that letter was to Faison. So true. Thats something that has bothered me since day 1, if you are put into a position of trust you need to stand and defend the university. Do you think any AD at Florida State or Utah would still have there jobs if they fought against those nicknames? Heck no, those Alumni wouldn't stand for it.

It is nice to see alums speaking their mind FOR the name and logo.

I wish more would do it, but it is hard sometimes, as you will get labeled a racist by many on the anti-nickname side. I know for a fact there are some UND faculty that vehemently support the Sioux name, but are scared to speak out, as they believe it could cost them their positions. At the same time, many UND faculty who are against the name take every opportunity to speak out in their classes, in the opinion pages of newspapers, and even in Bismarck, after taking a free UND planeride there.

Anyway, nice job Frank B.!!!

A most excellent email. Good job there. I couldn't have expressed my own frustrations better. With the hypocrisy of the NC$$, the lack of backbone by carpetbaggers like Faison and Kelley who were brought in to change the nickname and logo, and overt racism propagandized with impunity by some UND faculty and administrators who are against the nickname and logo and the double-standards enjoyed by FSU, Utah, CMU, etc., the anti-nickname/logo position is tantamount to the twilight zone (as if it were ever anything else, right?). Ultimately, the NC$$ has created this monster and it's time for the NC$$ to man up and either get some consistency and disallow NA imagery for ALL schools or allow UND the same standard that other, similarly situated schools enjoy. How cockamamie does the NC$$ look in all of this? Do they actually have the arrogance not to care? Personally, Frank should be sending strongly worded emails to John Hoeven and Rick Berg. Faison and Kelley are just carpetbaggers who were brought in for a purpose and they are trying to fulfill that purpose. Hoeven and Berg and Conrad are the real political mush in all of this. I am no defender of Kelley and Faison but Hoeven and Berg and Conrad really are the ones in need the Lyndon B. Johnson style "treatment" in all of this. Conrad could probably care less since he's done in 2 years (at least at this point). However, the AG and any other Republican who's interested in running need to continue hearing from people and be reminded of where the people stand. And don't give me any of that "it's just a nickname" garbage. The nickname and logo issue is simply an indication of a larger and more sinister issue -- not listening to one's constituency and caving to certain groups.

Even a fool may be counted as wise when he holds his tongue.

Perhaps the AD might have considered that.

Same for President Kelley.

There was no requirement that either of them testify in Bismarck. The name is, as they always declared, out of their hands. So if the name stays, its the name they deal with. If the name must go, its the marching orders they deal with.

But they cannot have it both ways. Either they are merely following orders (Cool Hand Luke: Saying its your job don't make it right, boss); or they are actively against the name.

I don't think there is much evidence left to support either men support the name in any way, shape, or form. I think its pretty clear both men have taken every chance and opportunity to bad mouth the name.

So in my opinion, Mr. Faisson cannot hide behind the SBOHE on this issue. If he wanted that exit, it was easily provided to him: just sit in Grand Forks and tell reporters, "We are allowing the process to play out in Bismarck, and we will do what the SBOHE and any other leading organization in the government requests, within the law."

He didn't. Now his job is, I truly believe, shaken.

This was the same man who was a tremendous success at NMSU, but ran afoul of alumni and students when he took the pistols out of the mascot Pistol Pete's hands. He turned their mascot into Lasso Larry (rope instead of gun). Finally leaving campus under pressure, Faisson landed in North Dakota. Literally within a week of Faisson leaving NMSU, Pistol Pete returned, and Larry was dumped into the trash.

Something tells me that if the nickname somehow manages to stay, that Kelly and Faison will be first in line to say "Hey! Look what we did! We managed to save our great nickname for all its great fans!" ....despite the fact that they want it gone.

Even a fool may be counted as wise when he holds his tongue.

Perhaps the AD might have considered that.

Same for President Kelley.

There was no requirement that either of them testify in Bismarck. The name is, as they always declared, out of their hands. So if the name stays, its the name they deal with. If the name must go, its the marching orders they deal with.

But they cannot have it both ways. Either they are merely following orders (Cool Hand Luke: Saying its your job don't make it right, boss); or they are actively against the name.

I don't think there is much evidence left to support either men support the name in any way, shape, or form. I think its pretty clear both men have taken every chance and opportunity to bad mouth the name.

So in my opinion, Mr. Faisson cannot hide behind the SBOHE on this issue. If he wanted that exit, it was easily provided to him: just sit in Grand Forks and tell reporters, "We are allowing the process to play out in Bismarck, and we will do what the SBOHE and any other leading organization in the government requests, within the law."

He didn't. Now his job is, I truly believe, shaken.

This was the same man who was a tremendous success at NMSU, but ran afoul of alumni and students when he took the pistols out of the mascot Pistol Pete's hands. He turned their mascot into Lasso Larry (rope instead of gun). Finally leaving campus under pressure, Faisson landed in North Dakota. Literally within a week of Faisson leaving NMSU, Pistol Pete returned, and Larry was dumped into the trash.

Well, I agree with you on that. They certainly can not hide anymore. They are seen for what they are now -- people from out of state with an agenda. My point is that Hoeven, Berg and Conrad really need to start hearing from people as the ND legislature did. One joint telephone/letter call with/to the NC$$ by all three of them, or at least 2 of them since Conrad is probably hopeless, in support of the nickname and the issue is resolved. Hell, they could even get "sample" materials from the Florida delegation.

What Faison could/should have done is mention the scheduling issues (if they exist and I am not saying whether they do or not) and prove the scheduling issues. He then could have countered that by speaking of the tradition, what the name means to alumni, athletes, and fans, and then left it to the legislature to make their decision. Present both sides of the issue, honestly and straightforward and then get the hell out of the way.

What Faison could/should have done is mention the scheduling issues (if they exist and I am not saying whether they do or not) and prove the scheduling issues. He then could have countered that by speaking of the tradition, what the name means to alumni, athletes, and fans, and then left it to the legislature to make their decision. Present both sides of the issue, honestly and straightforward and then get the hell out of the way.

Agreed

Was Faison called to testify? If so, he had no choice (or face contempt).

And what choice did he have when testifying? His boss' boss told him, "Change it." His boss told him, "Change it." At that point his personal opinion isn't worth a bucket full of warm spit. He has to do what he's been directed or he's out of a job.

Was Faison called to testify? If so, he had no choice (or face contempt).

And what choice did he have when testifying? His boss' boss told him, "Change it." His boss told him, "Change it." At that point his personal opinion isn't worth a bucket full of warm spit. He has to do what he's been directed or he's out of a job.

See post #17.

Well, not exactly...

Faison was replaced by McKinley Boston as NMSU athletic director 14 Dec 2004. Pistol Pete was replaced by Lasso Larry in August 2005. Pistol Pete reappeared in 2007. Faison assumed his AD duties at UND in May 2008.

Please don't construe any of the above as endorsement of Faison's actions regarding the Fighting Sioux nickname, nor of his testimony in Bismarck. But please be accurate in assertions as to his involvement in New Mexico.

These dates are pretty easily verified with NMSU and UND documents.

Ladies and Gentleman, this is a fine piece of writing minus some minor grammar/ spelling. I applaud him for this letter.

"Mr. Faison:

The purpose of this letter is to express to you my frustration, irritation and disgust with your testimony against the use of the Fighting Sioux nickname. As a former Fighting Sioux Athlete with 2 NCAA National Championships, 1 Runner Up, 3 WCHA Championships and a 4-year degree from the University of North Dakota, I find your testimony in favor of retiring the nickname unacceptable behavior for our