SiouxSports.com Forum

UND uses their planes to transport opposers to Bismarck to testify

siouxfan29

All I can say is..."WOW"!

This is not the UND I attended...truly sad.

And Kelly needs to go! If you think the Sioux nickname and logo are a stain on the university, how do you describe this clown?!

I have "officially" decided I will continue to support UND athletics finacially but will not give one more dime to the university in general as long as Kelly is in charge.

• Upvote 1

Can anyone explain to me why it is that we must go out of state to hire a person in charge of the University.

My own personal observation is that the University of North Dakota hasn't been adminstered properly since

Tom Clifford's, a born and bred North Dakotan, departure. Come on people it's time to show these people

what North Dakota is about and by these people I also mean the SBOHE. By the way I am a born and bred

North Dakotan, born here in the Red River Valley, and very proud of it. Long live and go Sioux!!!!!

• Upvote 1

All I can say is..."WOW"!

This is not the UND I attended...truly sad.

And Kelly needs to go! If you think the Sioux nickname and logo are a stain on the university, how do you describe this clown?!

I have "officially" decided I will continue to support UND athletics finacially but will not give one more dime to the university in general as long as Kelly is in charge.

Couldn't said it better myself. I guess the state fleet isn't good enough anymore.

Ignite the Spirit? Yeah I want to donate to the university so the administration can fly to the capital to lobby against the nickname! TIme to start the witch hunt and start eliminating these people.

Is anyone truly surprised by this? The T&F athlete that was shuttled to Bismarck wrote a letter to the Herald about how the Sioux nickname was harming athletes (not being able to go to Minnesota meets).

Kelley's had an agenda all along - it's not been difficult to see. Last spring when Kelley was able to declare that the SBoHE had declared the nickname retired, Kelley seemed almost jubilant and smug.

Is anyone truly surprised by this? The T&F athlete that was shuttled to Bismarck wrote a letter to the Herald about how the Sioux nickname was harming athletes (not being able to go to Minnesota meets).

Kelley's had an agenda all along - it's not been difficult to see. Last spring when Kelley was able to declare that the SBoHE had declared the nickname retired, Kelley seemed almost jubilant and smug.

Truly said. Is anyone really surprised? I think the only people who could claim actual shock would be those who believed President Kelley was ever neutral on the Fighting Sioux name. For whatever his reasons, he has made every effort (or agreed with every effort) to remove the name. He has never spoken even half-heartedly in any positive manner about the name. He has never publically acknowledged that possibly he and his like-minded personnel were sharply in the minority.

Furthermore, as was witnessed just a short while ago in Fargo, Unviversity Presidents seem to have this wierd bubble around them, allowing them to think their otherwise questionable financial actions and decisions will never come back to haunt them. I am not saying that Flight-Gate is as yet on par with President's House-Gate, but it solidifies a few simple truths the pro-name crowd has long believed:

1. The UND administration does not hear the majority. Does not care about the majority. The UND administration does not care about its alumni, its students', or its supporters' deep felt desires. Instead, the Administration has taken great pains to spread doomsday scenarios and misinformation as feeble excuses for their minority opinion status, and as a means to divide and conquer the otherwise-strident name support. The UND administration is a left-leaning PC bureaucratic beehive which is so insulated and isolated from reality that the name controversy legitimately confuses them. I believe they were, are, and will remain stunned at the legislation and the massive support. And was anyone shocked that pro-name UND people were NOT invited to speak via the University plane?

2. The "serious" media outlets of the Herald, Tribune, and Forum, have NOT asked the tough questions of the administration or the anti-name people. They have long ago taken sides, and their bias on this issue is so absurd that most people do not trust any of the stories these new agencies publish on this issue. These media outlets repeatedly give cover to whatever anti-name person might be spouting off. These media outlets do not ask the tough questions regarding these absurd doomsday scenarios. This is a simple little story. I am watching to see if any of the Big Three pick this matter up -- or has their bias on this issue blinded them so completely that they are being "scooped" by a small underfunded online daily?

So -- UND's anti-name position careens all over the road, tossing threats, bombs, nonsequetors -- spending University money, Foundation money, tax money -- fighitng a bill that the majority of alumni, students, and natives want to pass. And the local media gives them 100% pass.

Tom Dennis and Mr. Omdahl, where is thine rage?

So I picked up the Herald and did I see anything about Plane-Gate?

Hahaha --- nope -- just another letter from Erich Longie. That makes letter #143 of Mr. Longie published by the Herald. It'd be funny if it wasn't so sick.

Kelley's "agenda" is that he works for the SBoHE and follows their direction like most employees do who value their job. I am sure that if and / or when they change that direction he will too.

I am not sure what you expect him to do in light of the fact that the state board is his boss.

• Upvote 2

Kelley's "agenda" is that he works for the SBoHE and follows their direction like most employees do who value their job. I am sure that if and / or when they change that direction he will too.

I am not sure what you expect him to do in light of the fact that the state board is his boss.

The legislature and the taxpayer pays his bills, not the SBoHE. Seems like Kelley could give the legislature (and the people who elected them), just a wee bit of respect by presenting both sides.

Kelley lobbied the SBoHE well before the SBoHE "retired" the name: that is undeniable.

If indeed any and all anti-Sioux name forces were only taking their orders directly from the SBOHE, I would accept that statement.

Last I checked, there was no requirement, nor demand, nor request, from the SBOHE that Mr. Kelley present himself and others in Bismarck to testify against the name.

If this was truly a position he adopted at the behest of his employer, or if this was truly a position he adopted to please his employer -- then why appear in Bismarck, via the University's plane, using the University's money, joined by a hand-picked collection of anti-name members of the administration and school? Why not take a "No Stance" position, or even better how about, "This matter is out of my hands. Its a legal and legislative issue. I have been ordered to retire the name by the SBHOE. Until that changes, I cannot and will not comment on this particular bill." Sure, a few of the pro-name supporters would howl at his waffling, at his refusal to support the name. But on the whole, he could sit in Grand Forks and do his day job of running the University -- for which he is paid quite well.

No, Mr. Kelley is not a mere pawn in the game. He is an active player. He actively and passionately appealed to the SBHOE to retire the name EARLY . . . for the Summit League? He has never once mentioned supporting the name. He has testified before Congress in Bismarck --- TWICE -- spreading a colleciton of half-truths, misinformation, and outright scrare-tactic doomsday scenarios. And he made sure he brought a collection of like-minded University people with him, via the college plane, to support and back up his anti-name rhtoric. He has called the legislation a "Speed Bump to retiring the name." He is, has been, and will always be against the name.

No reason to sugar coat the matter and give him cover. He has not sought cover from the issue, and he should not be granted cover.

Now, what does this mean? If he is anti-name does that mean he should be fired as the President. I think not. But what if he has improperly used Foundation and school funds and materials, transporting students, professors, and administrators to Bismarck, to lobby along with him against a particular bill in Congress? Hasn't UND made the statement in the recent past how the school will not pay, or reimburse, anyone who chooses to testify in Bismarck? And why did the President not extend this free travel opporunity to a cross sectiont that supports the bill?

Just so everyone knows UND doesn't own the airplanes. The UND Aerospace Foundation does.

The University Foundation charged university departments for at least some of the trips. The fact that this isn't tax money doesn't mean it's not STATE money and has to be spent and accounted for in the same way other state money is. So while I know you're a good guy, that's not a good point.

I see no reason whatsoever that the University President should have a private luxury jet. He runs a state institution, not one with offices all over the country.

There is not consensus on this board about who was telling the truth in that situation.

Correct but which way do you think most are leaning now?

Let's see...Kelly can't "remember" with Douple and has "no idea whatsoever" on the potential costs to clean up the Ralph from the Sioux issue.

Now he is shipping people to Bismarck to help get the name and logo finished off.

You do the math...

Hey, look who the pilot is.

Andrist is included on the list of passengers who flew on UND planes to give testimony for the March 7 hearing on the bill, along with student Grant Hauschild (Vice President of the Student Body), Grant Shaft (SBHE), Peter Johnson (UND Public Relations), and pilot Bruce Smith. A second plane took President Kelley, Paul LeBel (UND Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs), Brian Faison (UND Athletics Director), Dean Bresciani (NDSU President), and Ty Rose (UND track and field team member).

To all of you who say "if only a North Dakota guy" I say Bruce Smith flew Shaft to Bismarck and when Smith was lobbying for the job Kelley got he said he'd change the name. So there's your "from North Dakota" guy.

Correct but which way do you think most are leaning now?

Let's see...Kelly can't "remember" with Douple and has "no idea whatsoever" on the potential costs to clean up the Ralph from the Sioux issue.

Now he is shipping people to Bismarck to help get the name and logo finished off.

You do the math...

From what I've read on this board & what I've learned elsewhere, there's no question President Kelley wanted to get rid of the Fighting Sioux name. I still can't believe the name has a chance of staying with the University of North Dakota, a couple weeks ago I thought there was no chance.

The "only following orders" argument is getting so thin it's transparent. Very soon people who have been claiming to be pro-Sioux and just doing their job are going to have to stand on their own, especially at the SBoHE.

Kelley works for the Board of Higher Education who ought to be working for the people of North Dakota.

If an employee is working with his immediate boss against the will of the owners of the company he gets fired at the same time as his immediate boss does.

I say it can't come soon enough.

You, sir, get my +1 for the day.