SiouxSports.com Forum

Goodbye Mavericks

coachdags

I can't remember the year but he lost to the Bison in the last game of that year (bad) and that Sunday he was gone. To say he wasn't terminated is playing lose with the facts. I have no idea what his thoughts are on UND but if he wasn't fired he was told to leave.

11/16/85

00 UND

49 NDSU

Other scores of interest during his last season...

00 UND

41 Northern Arizona

45 South Dakota

03 UND

07 UND

48 Morningside

I can't remember the year but he lost to the Bison in the last game of that year (bad) and that Sunday he was gone. To say he wasn't terminated is playing lose with the facts. I have no idea what his thoughts are on UND but if he wasn't fired he was told to leave.

I happen to have the year-by-year results in my office. In 1985 UND lost 49-0 to NDSU, putting the Sioux at 3-8 for the year. Thomas started in 1986.

Fortunately I moved from ND in June of '85 and didn't see that debacle.

I would trust Bison Dan on this. He is a huge Sioux fan and would know for sure. He knows everything about UND. He is always talking about the Sioux.

• Upvote 1

Behrns wasn't "terminated" here. He was taking a lot of heat and the program was struggling. He took an assistant job at a D1 school (with Utah State I think). He was not popular here at the time with fans. It took quite a awhile for Roger Thomas to resurrect the program. There certainly was pressure on him and the administration at the time. Since that time he was respected as a good coach at Utah State and he did a great job at Omaha.

You are far closer to the program than I am, so I will take your word for it, but I have always been under the impression that Behrns was forced out following the 1985 season. Granted, I was only 15 at the time, so I didn't follow things as closely back then. Is it possible he was told to either resign or be terminated, and he (understandably) chose the former? It would be interesting to read how the Herald reported the story back then.

In any event, I think it was a matter of too much, too soon for Behrns. He was very young (29 or 30) when he took over at UND. Had he been 5 or 10 years older when he got the job, I suspect things may have worked out far better for him here.

You are far closer to the program than I am, so I will take your word for it, but I have always been under the impression that Behrns was forced out following the 1985 season. Granted, I was only 15 at the time, so I didn't follow things as closely back then. Is it possible he was told to either resign or be terminated, and he (understandably) chose the former? It would be interesting to read how the Herald reported the story back then.

In any event, I think it was a matter of too much, too soon for Behrns. He was very young (29 or 30) when he took over at UND. Had he been 5 or 10 years older when he got the job, I suspect things may have worked out far better for him here.

Please Pat Behrns will never be back for the Sioux ever, football alumni that played for him would throw a huge stick as he was awful as a head coach here. has done OK at Omaha but we certainly do not need him back now or ever!

A huge part of Douple's job is to manage the PR of the Summit League. This is just another example of where the news has blown up in the league's face, bringing it more disgrace.

In the rush to get UNO in the league, the Summit didn't give a crap about the negatives associated with cutting programs. What was the rush? Any offer that the Summit gave should have only been extended after assurances that UNO had at least talked in private with the coaches affected. It's called class.

The Summit League's reputation is just fine . . . everywhere but in your mind. It means a lot to get a PR lecture from a member of Fighting nation . . . that's rich.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Summit League's reputation is just fine . . .

:lol: With an ethically challenged - admitted serial liar and deceiver - commissioner, is it in your DNA to defend that type of garbage? No UND fan would ever defend the WCHA commissioner, who has an ethically challenged past.

Douple's an embarrassment to the league, even one that makes compounding strategic mistakes. No other conference would ever consider him with his record. Ethically challenged people create disasters - just wait and see in this case too.

everywhere but in your mind.
Considering you continue to defend Chapman's ethics, thanks for the compliment. :D

It means a lot to get a PR lecture from a member of Fighting nation . . . that's rich.

It was an actually ethics lecture - and it obviously can't sink into shallow ground.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Regents OK Nebraska-Omaha's move to NCAA Division I

University of Nebraska regents have unanimously approved the University of Nebraska at Omaha's proposal to join the NCAA Division I Summit League.

The move from Division II will include the elimination of the Mavericks' football and wrestling programs.

Athletic director Trev Alberts has said those two sports must be dropped to accommodate the conference switch and shore up the athletic department's budget.

Regents voted to approve the move today after 90 minutes of emotional testimony from 28 people, most of whom spoke in opposition.

Mario Morgan, who won the 141-pound national title, spoke directly to Christensen. Morgan reminded the chancellor, a former college wrestler, that he was a member of the team's family. Morgan said he remembered Christensen standing with his father as he wrestled in a tournament.

"What did we do to deserve this?" Morgan said. "What has our team done wrong?"

Morgan closed by sarcastically thanking Alberts and Christensen for congratulations he said they have never offered to the team for winning the national championship.

Said Alberts: "This is obviously an emotional day, but it's also a day of great opportunity for UNO."

I wonder if there are any players we could pick up that would help us gain some depth at certain positions.

from http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/2011/03/09/spring-grab-bag/#comments

oskie says:

March 22, 2011 at 9:39 am

We have heard the Sioux are in contact with some existing players from the Omaha program. Anyone who knows anything about their program knows that they usually have pretty good players. Whether they can put it all together is another matter.

There will be a ton of schools trying to get those players, you can bet on that. We have seen where a couple MAC schools have already been contacting them. Would be surprised if UND didn

So both programs are disbanded, effective immediately?

Yes, both programs are done and UNO is out of the MIAA after the spring season. MIAA schools are irate, as UNO really screwed them on their football scheduling. UNO has to pay a relatively small exit fee from the MIAA ($80,000) and then pay the NCAA DI entrance fee ($1 Mill). The NCAA fee, as well as Title IX and more football scholarships, was a killer to the football program.

Next fall, UNO begins their transition with a mixed DI/DII schedule. In the fall of 2012, I believe they will compete in the Summit League, but won't be eligible until 2015. (The NCAA cut back on the transition years from 5 to 4 because 5 years is too difficult for recruiting.)

The Creighton AD actually made some remarks that Creighton might actually just pick up the entire UNO wrestling program. No sure what the status of that is. Creighton's AD has been very classy about the whole situation (welcoming UNO to DI), and has won a lot of admiration in Omaha because of it. Meanwhile, Trev Alberts' stock in that city isn't very high.

Yes, both programs are done and UNO is out of the MIAA after the spring season. MIAA schools are irate, as UNO really screwed them on their football scheduling. UNO has to pay a relatively small exit fee from the MIAA ($80,000) and then pay the NCAA DI entrance fee ($1 Mill). The NCAA fee, as well as Title IX and more football scholarships, was a killer to the football program.

Next fall, UNO begins their transition with a mixed DI/DII schedule. In the fall of 2012, I believe they will compete in the Summit League, but won't be eligible until 2014. (The NCAA cut back on the transition years from 5 to 4 because 5 years is too difficult for recruiting.)

The Creighton AD actually made some remarks that Creighton might actually just pick up the entire UNO wrestling program. No sure what the status of that is. Creighton's AD has been very classy about the whole situation (welcoming UNO to DI), and has won a lot of admiration in Omaha because of it. Meanwhile, Trev Alberts' stock in that city isn't very high.

And all for the Summit League?? Wow...all I can say is wow.

And all for the Summit League?? Wow...all I can say is wow.

It was either the Summit League or kiss athletics good bye. The current business model wasn't working for UNO and when a business model doesn't work you either need to adapt to the market conditions or die a slow death. While the cuts were painful, they were necessary.

It was either the Summit League or kiss athletics good bye. The current business model wasn't working for UNO and when a business model doesn't work you either need to adapt to the market conditions or die a slow death. While the cuts were painful, they were necessary.

College Athletics in the NCAA: It's all about the student-athletes Benjamins.

If you didn't know that before now, you are naive.

You wonder if UNO thought at all of going non-scholly and joining the Pioneer league. You at least keep the sport going and utilize the facilities, plus keep 100 students on campus. Fan interest has never been great in Omaha anyway, and names like Butler, Davidson, and Valparaiso probably would draw as well as the MIAA schools, due to their name recognition from basketball.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...