SiouxSports.com Forum

FRATTIN 4 HOBEY

AZSIOUX

We have seen many special players come through this program over the years but I haven't seen a player bulldoze and do what he wants like Frattin has does this season in a while. TJ played with the same mentality and high end skill but thats the only comparison when looking at Frattin and what hs is doing. Highlight play after another while sniping pretty much every goalie out there. I know the main goal for this team isn't any individual award and they have one goal but he has been a freak out on the ice from the hits he delivers every shift to the highlight goals.

Just wanted to start a thread for Frattin as he deserves...........

FRATTIN 4 HOBEY

OFFICIAL - Frattin 4 Hobey Website

Hobey Baker Voting Page

• Upvote 2

We have seen many special players come through this program over the years but I haven't seen a player bulldoze and do what he wants like Frattin has does this season in a while. TJ played with the same mentality and high end skill but thats the only comparison when looking at Frattin and what hs is doing. Highlight play after another while sniping pretty much every goalie out there. I know the main goal for this team isn't any individual award and they have one goal but he has been a freak out on the ice from the hits he delivers every shift to the highlight goals.

Just wanted to start a thread for Frattin as he deserves...........

FRATTIN 4 HOBEY

OFFICIAL - Frattin 4 Hobey Website

Hobey Baker Voting Page

I feel the exact same way. The saying "a man amongst boys" has never been truer.

I feel the exact same way. The saying "a man amongst boys" has never been truer.

18 of his 27 are on the road. That's called going into someone else's building and saying, "this is ours and it starts with me." Love that stat!!

In case you missed it, here's a stat which effectively describes Frattin's dominance, taken from this week's travel blog:

A tip of the hat to Timothy Boger of the Dakota Student, for his outstanding research on the production of Matt Frattin.

In case you don't follow Tim on Twitter (@timothyboger), here is what you missed: Tim looked at the top five goal-scorers in the country, and researched how many of their goals have been scored against teams under consideration (or "TUC" teams) for the NCAA tournament. In other words, who, among the nation's top goal scorers, has scored the most goals when playing the nation's strongest teams? The results are pretty staggering:

1. Matt Frattin (UND), 27

2. Paul Thomspon (UNH), 12

3. Paul Zanette (Niagara), 11

4. Cam Atkinson (BC), 10

5. Bryan Haczyk (Niagara), 7

The following players lead the country in goals vs. TUC teams:

1. Matt Frattin (UND), 27

2. Jason Zucker (DU), 20

3. Mike Connolly (UMD), 18

4. Jason Gregoire (UND), 17

5. Tyler Johnson (CC), 16

Every one of Frattin's WCHA-leading 27 goals this season have come against a TUC team, which makes sense considering UND's strength of schedule was ranked the toughest in the country the entire season until the past two weeks (it is now No. 2).

(Note: the last sentence is now a little dated, after his goal last night versus non-TUC Michigan Tech.)

frattin.jpg

I think Frattin deserves it as much, if not more, than anyone. But I have a feeling they will just hand it over to some east-coast, cake-eating media darling like they are prone to do. A buddy of mine likes to call the Hobey Baker the "Duncan Hines Award" because of this. I do think that Frattin is a virtual lock for WCHA Player of the Year.

I think Frattin deserves it as much, if not more, than anyone. But I have a feeling they will just hand it over to some east-coast, cake-eating media darling like they are prone to do. A buddy of mine likes to call the Hobey Baker the "Duncan Hines Award" because of this. I do think that Frattin is a virtual lock for WCHA Player of the Year.

I think Frattin deserves the Hobey this season.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it is given to Miami's Andy Miele. He's put up a ton of points in a good conference.

I think Frattin deserves the Hobey this season.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it is given to Miami's Andy Miele. He's put up a ton of points in a good conference.

he and frattin are in my top 3. hes a hell of a offensive player who my buddy pointed out coming out of the ushl to watch out for. not sure who i would throw in as the 3rd. schultz having a great offensive year on blueline for uw but the team isnt helping his case. inch has thompson form unh in their top 3.

I truly think Frattin is this best player I have seen in a long time for the Sioux!! I think he will be the best professional player too.

Frattin is the real deal, and I think he will be an NHL player, but it is tough to put him atop of Parise and Toews for success as a pro...What Frattin is doing in the WCHA is sick...but remember, Matt Frattin is OLDER than Jonny Toews by a couple months and Jonny is doing it in the show against the best players in the world!!

All that said, Frattin is the best power forward in college hockey. Hands down. His return from the brink also warrants significant consideration from the committee.

Frattin is 2 goals and 6 assists from matching Duncan's numbers from 2007. Considering the numbers he put up against Tech this weekend, he could come close to that next weekend.

He's 12 behind Miele in total points. If he narrows that gap a bit and hangs onto the goal lead, I think he wins it. With no convincing argument for a goalie or D-man this season, I think it's going to be a 2-horse race.

Frattin is 2 goals and 6 assists from matching Duncan's numbers from 2007. Considering the numbers he put up against Tech this weekend, he could come close to that next weekend.

He's 12 behind Miele in total points. If he narrows that gap a bit and hangs onto the goal lead, I think he wins it. With no convincing argument for a goalie or D-man this season, I think it's going to be a 2-horse race.

I don't believe the voters are educated enough to not vote for Miele. The guy put up a ton of points in the CCHA, despite most being assists. I think Miele wins this one pretty easy unless Frattin can get within 5-6 pts of him.

Agree that Miele is the Favorite. Frattin is the best player on the best team in the best league having played the 2nd most difficult schedule in hockey,..

I predict Fratty makes the Hobey Hat TRICK BUT doesn't ein it...unfortunately

You put Miele on UND's team this year and he doesn't do what Frattin has done so far this season. I can't imagine what Frattin would do playing in the CCHA. He is the best college power forward I've seen in some time.

Via UND SID on Twitter

Nice turnaround for Frattin. He has been quite fun to watch this season.

I have a feeling some voters will give him credit for the turnaround but I also think more voters will not give him the vote because of his past transgressions. The Hobey is about more than statistics, its about being the best player and the best all around person. Of course I'd vote for him but I'm biased.

I have a feeling some voters will give him credit for the turnaround but I also think more voters will not give him the vote because of his past transgressions. The Hobey is about more than statistics, its about being the best player and the best all around person. Of course I'd vote for him but I'm biased.

If the Hobey was about being a perfect choir boy, then nobody would ever win it. I don't care how perfect and angelic those east coast players look, they probably have had their moments on campus and off of it. Frattin has reformed his life and it is showing on the ice. He is way more dominant than he ever was before he was kicked off the team.

During the 1990's, the award developed a bad reputation of being more of a beauty contest than a true representation of the best player in the game for that year. The award always seemed to go to players who played in big east coast media markets or to big-time, all Division I schools. I noticed that after Panzer was robbed of the award in 2001, the award magically started being given to small school players like Peter Senja (Colorado College), Matt Carle (Denver) and Junior Lessard (Minn-Duluth). And we all were proud of Ryan Duncan winning it in 2007. So the award has garnered more legitimacy over the past ten years. But I still don't totally trust the process and I wouldn't count on Frattin winning it. But I think raising #8 in the X would soothe any of those wounds!

I dug up some info that is quite intriguing. I posted this on another forum as well, but here's what I found:

It all depends on how the Hobey panelists look at it. If they vote like they did last year, Frattin has a great shot at winning (I honestly believe Miele will win).

Last year:

Gustav Nyquist (Maine) played in a good conference, scored 19 goals and had 42 assists, exactly where Miele sits now (yes, Miele has games in hand comparatively). Gustav was the NCAA point leader at season's end, having 7 more points than anyone else.

Blake Geoffrion (Wisconsin), finished the year tied for 11th in scoring in the NCAA, posting 28 goals and 22 assists. Frattin currently has 29 goals and 20 assists (T5 in NCAA for points, also with games in hand).

Blake Geoffrion was the Hobey Baker winner, not Gustav Nyquist. I found these totals to be eerily similar...with both players having games in hand to best each comparative player's totals from last year.

***The biggest wild card in this whole scenario may be a Frozen Four run by either team. Only once in the last 7 years has a player won that didn't play in the Frozen Four (Matt Carle, DU, 2006). The final voting takes place betwen the Regional rounds of the tournament and the Frozen Four, so a hot player on a team still playing will gain a bunch of notoriety that a player sitting at home may not.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the Frozen Four team comment.

I bet that if Maine would have made it to the F4 last season, Nyquist may have gotten more votes, but with UW making it...Blake kind of wrapped it up.

If Miami fails to advance to StP and Frattin helps lead the Sioux to the F4...I think he would definitely garner a few more votes from that.