SiouxSports.com Forum

What if you could trade players in college hockey?

gfhomer

The good ol' Wisconsin (Chuck Schwartz) blog posted this and I think its something fun to consider. The opening paragraph reads:

"Obviously this is unrealistic since there is no possibility of something like this happening, but for the sake of argument, think about this hypothetically. If you were running the [North Dakota] program, and had the ability to make trades, what would you like to see done and more specifically, WHO would you want to see in the [kelly green] and white?"

Assuming there were were franchise tags and a salary cap, who would be some players you would gun for? (he lists Frattin as "un-touchable" because he is the franchise player)

The first few people that come to mind to trade for are guys like Jack Connolly and Jason Zucker. Just for S&G, what does everyone else think?

I honestly wouldn't trade anyone on this team...not to sound cheesy, but this team is built like a team, like a family. I think that we have some weaknesses, most notably with some of our defensive breakdowns, but realistically, top to bottom, we have a complete team.

I think that there are players for BC, NH, CC (Schwartz when healthy), and Denver that are really nice players...UMD has a couple too. I like this SIoux team. It is has no glaring holes.

If this was a 3rd or 4th place WCHA team, I'd consider making a move that would maybe spark a jump in the team before the postseason, but this team doesn't need that. Throughout the year, all areas of the Sioux have played exceptional, from Dell in goal, to our team defense, to our quick-strike offense. If all those areas click in the NCAA Tournament for four games, no one can beat us.

If the team did make a trade, it wouldn't be with another superpower, it'd be trading a few of our third/fourth liners for a good talent stuck on a lousy team....a guy who will come in wanting to prove something on a good team without the ego.

The good ol' Wisconsin (Chuck Schwartz) blog posted this and I think its something fun to consider. The opening paragraph reads:

"Obviously this is unrealistic since there is no possibility of something like this happening, but for the sake of argument, think about this hypothetically. If you were running the [North Dakota] program, and had the ability to make trades, what would you like to see done and more specifically, WHO would you want to see in the [kelly green] and white?"

Assuming there were were franchise tags and a salary cap, who would be some players you would gun for? (he lists Frattin as "un-touchable" because he is the franchise player)

The first few people that come to mind to trade for are guys like Jack Connolly and Jason Zucker. Just for S&G, what does everyone else think?

Last half of last year and this year Frattin is one of the all time greats to play at UND. Good size, strong fast and wicked, fast, , accurate wrist shot. Tough kid, doesn't get knocked off the puck and plays both ends of the ice equally well. Grinds it out in the corners better than most pure scorers. Frattin is worth the price of admission.

This team as a group cycles very well and they grind in the corners All four lines can score and they play both ends well. Defensively we have three strong pairs and they can all score. Would help if we knew exactly what to expect from our backup goalie but there is comfort in the fact that he has experience and has played and won pressure games. That might be your trade. This team plays well together and I am not sure what an addition of what may be a "better player" would do to the team chemistry. Remember that was always one of Woog's problems. Lots of great players but didn't gel as a team.

Er... aren't those guys franchise players too?

Yes they are. But they were the first two guys in the WCHA that came to mind, regardless of their franchise tags. As one of my former professors used to say, "don't fight the hypothetical." :)

:lol: I didn't know I was supposed to ignore the sentence right above it where you said to assume salary caps and franchise tags!

I would also ask: who on your team would you consider to be a tradeable player? Not because you hate them or think they are terrible, but because you think they would be worth something on the trade market. I would say Mike Seidel even though he's my favourite Bulldog, because he's stuck on the 3rd/4th line because of depth but has a great offensive upside and PP experience.

I'd trade for a defenceman, maybe that Jensen kid from St. Cloud.

:lol: I didn't know I was supposed to ignore the sentence right above it where you said to assume salary caps and franchise tags!

I would also ask: who on your team would you consider to be a tradeable player? Not because you hate them or think they are terrible, but because you think they would be worth something on the trade market. I would say Mike Seidel even though he's my favourite Bulldog, because he's stuck on the 3rd/4th line because of depth but has a great offensive upside and PP experience.

I'd trade for a defenceman, maybe that Jensen kid from St. Cloud.

Really?

All you have to do is find the players fans here tend to like to hate and you'll find your list.

Players I'd say are tradeable by the number of flak thrown at them:

Danny Kristo

Derrick LaPoint

Mike Cichy

Brad Eidsness

Coach Hakstol...

Brett Hextall

The Untouchables:

Jason Gregoire

Chay Genoway

Matt Frattin

Brad Malone

Jake Marto

For me? I'd trade no one on D.

I might be willing to trade Mike Cichy or Taylor Dickin for a 3rd liner perhaps with perhaps some potential scoring upside? Or perhaps the rights to a currently signed recruit.

I'd say Gleason is a tradeable Sioux. He's a puck moving defenseman, who is still pretty rock solid at defense...still young too. If we could trade him for a veteran scorer to add some scoring depth to our 3rd or 4th line, I think that's the only move you could make in a year like this for the Sioux. Maybe a guy like Jacques Lamoureux of Air Force, who has been known to put up some big scoring numbers, along with a bigger physical presence than others on our checking lines.

This topic is so wrong

Completely agree. Also to say we'd get over the hump every year because trading is available is crazy. Why don't certain sports teams win every year, like the Yankees? Not only is each game not guarenteed, but other teams have a shot as the players Yankees want.

If we were to trade for Zucker or a Connelly, we'd have to give up far more than what they're worth and we'd end up with crappy role players. I wouldn't change our team at all. Speed is a concern for me, but its not worth giving up talent and hard work to just get a fast skater. What more could you ask for? We're 1st in the hardest division in college hockey and ranked #1.

Now if you're a Gopher fan, this topic is completely appropriate and they may want to talk to the NCAA about it.

Really?

All you have to do is find the players fans here tend to like to hate and you'll find your list.

Danny Kristo

Derrick LaPoint

Mike Cichy

Brad Eidsness

Coach Hakstol...

Brett Hextall

The Untouchables:

Jason Gregoire

Chay Genoway

Matt Frattin

Brad Malone

Jake Marto

I might be willing to trade Mike Cichy or Taylor Dickin for a 3rd liner perhaps with perhaps some potential scoring upside? Or perhaps the rights to a currently signed recruit.

P.S. Also, I've heard that Genoway is better on the bench from numerous posters on here. He's definitely not untouchable according to some.

Completely agree. Also to say we'd get over the hump every year because trading is available is crazy. Why don't certain sports teams win every year, like the Yankees? Not only is each game not guarenteed, but other teams have a shot as the players Yankees want.

If we were to trade for Zucker or a Connelly, we'd have to give up far more than what they're worth and we'd end up with crappy role players. I wouldn't change our team at all. Speed is a concern for me, but its not worth giving up talent and hard work to just get a fast skater. What more could you ask for? We're 1st in the hardest division in college hockey and ranked #1.

Now if you're a Gopher fan, this topic is completely appropriate and they may want to talk to the NCAA about it.

I don't see what's wrong with the topic. It's just hyopthetical. Is it disloyal to talk about trades for your favorite pro teams? No one is saying I WISH WE HAD TRADES BECAUSE I HATE ALL OUR PLAYERS!!! Well, Redwing is, but he doesn't count.

I honestly wouldn't trade anyone on this team...not to sound cheesy, but this team is built like a team, like a family. I think that we have some weaknesses, most notably with some of our defensive breakdowns, but realistically, top to bottom, we have a complete team.

I think that there are players for BC, NH, CC (Schwartz when healthy), and Denver that are really nice players...UMD has a couple too. I like this SIoux team. It is has no glaring holes.

It might not be a glaring hole but your goaltending is certainly a question mark.

A question mark?? How? Dell leads the WCHA in record and GAA? Not sure you can get much better than that... stupid comment.

Those are essentially team stats. How many big games has Dell won? Has he even played in the post season? Im just saying he's still fairly unproven thats all. Dont let it get your undies in a bunch.

Really?

Danny Kristo

Derrick LaPoint

Mike Cichy

Brad Eidsness

Coach Hakstol...

Brett Hextall

The Untouchables:

Jason Gregoire

Chay Genoway

Matt Frattin

Brad Malone

Jake Marto

Wait til after this season ends. If we lose to a Yale or UNH in the first round again, I would be ok with that. Just kidding............Well maybe?????