SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire head coach Dave Hakstol

Goon

Get out the pitch forks and rakes  

143 members have voted

1. 1. If Hakstol's team doesn't win a national title should he be fired.

• Yes
    • No

Try the fact that Hak was doing the recruiting and told Dean not to bother with Grant.

Yeah, I'm sure that is exactly what happened.

You're saying that Dean Blais was not aware of a kid with DI talent living in the same town as him? A kid that played in an arena that Dean Blais likely drove past at least twice per day when going to and from work?

You're saying that the head coach of UND at the time needed to get informed of this kid by the assistant coach, who in turn had lied to him about actually watching this prospect play?

Seriously?

So Grant's dad is a liar because he was the one who told me about Grant and Hak.

You really need to learn a few lessons about trust and confidentiality. Even if true, does Grant's father really want you disclosing what he likely told you in confidence?

You ever get that autograph for the guy who was looking for one for his kid? If not, why not? You came on crowing about all of the people you know, and how you get free tickets, teach the youngsters with their maths and sciences, blah blah blah. Rather sad really.

Potulny turned out to be a fine fine college hockey player and will someday be a fine head coach. I always liked telling my Minnesota buddies that it took a North Dakota boy to bring them back to the promised land. This said, there are hundreds of solid D-I recruits year in and year out. UND likely took a glance, but decided to pass on recruiting him hard for whatever reason. Maybe they did take a run at him. Maybe they didn't. I could not care less. That is the domain of players, their families, and coaches. I have heard recruiting stories from a few parents, but what purpose is really served by barking them here when it was obvious that I was told in confidence? None.

If Grant's Pa wants to weigh in here, give him a call and ask him to do so. Second hand stories mean nothing to me, and I really could not care less if I heard it from the little birdie's mouth directly. Old old news, if your claims are anything more than stories.

Finally, I do not believe for a second that Hak would have ever lied to Blais. Although I do not know him, I also do not believe that Mr. Potulny is a liar in any respect. You, sir, are not presently extended this presumption in my mind.

• Upvote 2

You really need to learn a few lessons about trust and confidentiality. Even if true, does Grant's father really want you disclosing what he likely told you in confidence?

You ever get that autograph for the guy who was looking for one for his kid? If not, why not? You came on crowing about all of the people you know, and how you get free tickets, teach the youngsters with their maths and sciences, blah blah blah. Rather sad really.

Potulny turned out to be a fine fine college hockey player and will someday be a fine head coach. I always liked telling my Minnesota buddies that it took a North Dakota boy to bring them back to the promised land. This said, there are hundreds of solid D-I recruits year in and year out. UND likely took a glance, but decided to pass on recruiting him hard for whatever reason. Maybe they did take a run at him. Maybe they didn't. I could not care less. That is the domain of players, their families, and coaches. I have heard recruiting stories from a few parents, but what purpose is really served by barking them here when it was obvious that I was told in confidence? None.

If Grant's Pa wants to weigh in here, give him a call and ask him to do so. Second hand stories mean nothing to me, and I really could not care less if I heard it from the little birdie's mouth directly. Old old news, if your claims are anything more than stories.

Finally, I do not believe for a second that Hak would have ever lied to Blais. Although I do not know him, I also do not believe that Mr. Potulny is a liar in any respect. You, sir, are not presently extended this presumption in my mind.

Just repeating what Grant's dad told me, which is more of a primary source than anyone here comes up with. Who said he told me that in confidence since other people were sitting there, including my mother. Why should I get the kid an autograph since I do not even know the kid? Since all of you have such tight connections to the program it should be easy for all of you to get him one.

Yeah, I'm sure that is exactly what happened.

You're saying that Dean Blais was not aware of a kid with DI talent living in the same town as him? A kid that played in an arena that Dean Blais likely drove past at least twice per day when going to and from work?

You're saying that the head coach of UND at the time needed to get informed of this kid by the assistant coach, who in turn had lied to him about actually watching this prospect play?

Seriously?

Truth is stranger than fiction. I never said it was a fact did I? If where I said this show me. I said what Grant's dad told me and since our families have known each other for over 80 years what would I know.

People are acting like losing Grant Potulny was like a terrible oversight by the Sioux staff like not recruiting a Parise or something of the sort. He was not a big time recruit by any stretch of the imagination. Nobody recruited him out of high school. He turned out to be a very good college player that added a dimension to the gopher team that they were sorely missing. Would he have had the same effect had he been recruited here where the Sioux have/had plenty of character/grinder type players? Maybe, maybe not, but to act like he was a no-brainer recruit is hindsight at its fullest. Some players are late bloomers, and recruiters don't have a crystal ball to determine which ones are diamonds in the rough.

Grant graduated high school in 1998 Hak's first year as assistant coach was 2000.So Hak had nothing to do with Grant.Quit making stuff up!

He graduated then but played juniors after that. Shows you that he was not that big of a recruit out of high school but bloomed in the USHL.

People are acting like losing Grant Potulny was like a terrible oversight by the Sioux staff like not recruiting a Parise or something of the sort. He was not a big time recruit by any stretch of the imagination. Nobody recruited him out of high school. He turned out to be a very good college player that added a dimension to the gopher team that they were sorely missing. Would he have had the same effect had he been recruited here where the Sioux have/had plenty of character/grinder type players? Maybe, maybe not, but to act like he was a no-brainer recruit is hindsight at its fullest. Some players are late bloomers, and recruiters don't have a crystal ball to determine which ones are diamonds in the rough.

Great point.The guy graduated from college 7 years ago,so there's no need for us to even be talking about him.

i think we all just got trolled by lomak... he kept this thread at the top of the page even if it is just in jest :lol: btw, did he really reply to the same response with two different posts?? go back under the bridge now so we can resume our normally scheduled programming :lol: and my two cents... i heard that hak told blais and gino that chelios was a hack and that is why he went to wisconsin!

i think we all just got trolled by lomak... he kept this thread at the top of the page even if it is just in jest :lol: btw, did he really reply to the same response with two different posts?? go back under the bridge now so we can resume our normally scheduled programming :lol: and my two cents... i heard that hak told blais and gino that chelios was a hack and that is why he went to wisconsin!

Chelios was a hack! Stinkin' Badgers... :D

Chelios was a hack! Stinkin' Badgers... :D

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth, upon this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived, and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met here on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of it as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But in a larger sense we can not dedicate - we can not consecrate - we can not hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled, here, have consecrated it far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here, but can never forget what they did here.

It is for us, the living, rather to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they have, thus far, so nobly carried on. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us - that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here gave the last full measure of devotion - that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom; and that this government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Actually it is most of the posters here have no idea what they are talking about. Don't have any national t-shirts and never will. Grant's dad told me that they never recruited Grant. In fact he told me that Hak was suppose to watch Grant and did not and lied to Blais and told him not to bother. So then you are saying Grant's dad is a liar?

Did I ever say that we recruited Grant. I am well aware of the fact that we didn't recruit the Potulny's very hard, but that wasn't the point of the post. There were other players at the time that our coaches were more interested in, and I will stand by my sources on that. You have heard it from Grant's dad, but not the other side.

Actually it is most of the posters here have no idea what they are talking about. Don't have any national t-shirts and never will. Grant's dad told me that they never recruited Grant. In fact he told me that Hak was suppose to watch Grant and did not and lied to Blais and told him not to bother. So then you are saying Grant's dad is a liar?

Well his kids must be, because it was Ryan that was found with Grant's ID urinating on a car.....

EDIT*

Might have been near a car....can't remember. :lol:

Did I ever say that we recruited Grant. I am well aware of the fact that we didn't recruit the Potulny's very hard, but that wasn't the point of the post. There were other players at the time that our coaches were more interested in, and I will stand by my sources on that. You have heard it from Grant's dad, but not the other side.

Someone on the staff must have seen character defects, and the fact that they went to the Dark Side proved that to be true. Grow up in GF and play hockey for the gophs? You can try to suppress that, but eventually you will find yourself on a couch paying some UND-educated psych to listen to your horror story. True, a couple of NCs will keep the demons at bay for a while, but sooner or later they will come for you.

So, there you go.

Can we just get this thread locked?

This thread has been in the herald, batterd on the potulny, numerous fire hak posts, numerous keep hak posts, brought in the dads profession about how car salesmen can be misleading,

jsut please lock this thread and hope it goes off th irst page in a week or two!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Can we just get this thread locked?

This thread has been in the herald, battered on the Potulny, numerous fire Hak posts, numerous keep Hak posts, brought in the dads profession about how car salesmen can be misleading,

Just please lock this thread and hope it goes off the first page in a week or two!

Fixed your post for you... If you don't like the thread ignore the thread... Holy Cow! It's been interesting reading the different opinions...

Edited by Goon

It shows Hakstol became an assistant coach at UND on July 1, 2000. When did Grant accept a scholarship from Minnesota? It would be odd if he didn't accept a scholarship after that, and if he did, when would Hakstol have had a chance to watch him play to evaluate him. This question is directed at you Lomackman.