SiouxSports.com Forum

Radio Voice

bincitysioux

New Voice For Sioux Football

"At this stage, I think both UND and I recognize that with my new responsibilities and hours, it's going to be very difficult for me to remain as the voice of the Sioux," Hammer said. "I'd love to keep doing it, but that's 11 weekends I'd be tied up."

I'd love to do it.......................

But my guess is it will be Paul Ralston.................

No disrespect to Paul Ralston, but if they must replace Hammer -- and Sean Johnson sounds in the Herald as though they'd like to find a way to continue utilizing him -- I hope they recruit agressively for a replacement.

UND football has benefitted from having high-profile football broadcasters over the last decade in Ed Schultz and Hammer. There are a number of "retired" sportscasters in the valley who might have an urge to dabble again in sports and would provide, I think, better visibility to UND football, including Scott Peters and Brian Shaun, late of KVLY, Steve Halstrom ( :lol: ) and a couple of others whose names escape me at the moment. Don't know for sure that they would be better but probably would bring more attention/notoriety through their association with the program..

Please, NO, NO, a thousand times NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! He drives me crazy trying to follow his basketball play-by-play (I say that toungue in cheek because he cannot keep up with the pace of a basketball game) and he often seems to be grasping to find a suitable cliche to describe a situation, stumbles over the presentation, misses several aspects of the action, and the score magically increases by 4 to 6 points as he rambles on about something having nothing to do with the game. If you give another 5 years he may be able to actually describe the action of the game with something more than "OH WOW, what a play by ____" without describing what the play was. You want to kill Sioux football broadcasts this is your man - if basketball was more popular he wouldn't have made it this far.

there is a 2 page thread titleing Hammer gets a new Job but ill post here what i posted there

Said on KFGO he was done. IMO, Hammer was our last lifeline to Fargos biggest radio station in his one hour show, he would atleast tlakb about UND football. Now im assuming sccoty miller will be doing it and i think eh could give a !@#$ less about sioux football/athletics.

Any ideas for replacement?

I just hope its not Paul Ralston. He is lousy at basketball and woudlnt be that much ebtter at sioux hockey. I often fall asleep listening to him.

Also i guess could be john bernstrom who has done a lot of high school games the past few years but we shoudlnt be getting high school annoucning talent to announce a FCS game.

Scott Swygman?

Ed Schultz? lmao real long shot. almost like blais coming back to the sioux

I jsut hope they dont go the cheap route and just find someone to fill the role like they have done the past with sioux basketball in having sean johnson who is teh assisnt ad doing bball cover who isnt much better than ralston.

I think we can all agree that ralston sucks and is only doing play by play cuz he sells advertising for und same with sean johnson. also is boring and only does color cuz he works for und.

I originally didn't think there was anybody in Grand Forks who was really qualified to be the next voice of UND football, but one person just occurred to me--wasn't Josh Morton in broadcast journalism prior to taking his current job? I wonder if he has much play-by-play experience? He would certainly have the football knowledge.

No disrespect to Paul Ralston, but if they must replace Hammer -- and Sean Johnson sounds in the Herald as though they'd like to find a way to continue utilizing him -- I hope they recruit agressively for a replacement.

I would assume Hammer will be tied up a handful of Saturday's in the fall doing NDSU football games on The ND NBC Networks, so I don't think he will be doing any UND games this fall. What about Pat Sweeney on non televised games and Hennesey on the others? I guarantee Hennesey knows as much about football as Ralston.

I would assume Hammer will be tied up a handful of Saturday's in the fall doing NDSU football games on The ND NBC Networks, so I don't think he will be doing any UND games this fall. What about Pat Sweeney on non televised games and Hennesey on the others? I guarantee Hennesey knows as much about football as Ralston.

Hockey starts in early October, so Hennesey wouldn't have time.

Any thoughts on Kevin Arvidson?

Paul Ralston would be a terrible choice. His work on Sioux bball is sooooooooooooooo bad. Can't listen to him cause he doesn't know names (or forgets them) and the play is over way before he's done talking.

Gotta go get someone new; fresh voice for a new league!!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Scott Swygman used to do Sioux football years back and I think he did a great job. I believe he played a couple of years as well. I say bring back someone who knows Sioux sports, not an outsider.

The last three "voices of Sioux Football", Dan Hammer, Ed Schultz, and Scott Miller, were all quite good IMO........................and they were all "outsiders".

I'm kind of intrigued by the Darin Looker idea.

Whoever it is, UND needs to make a smart hire here, someone who is knowledgable about the game, has a good radio personality and has a great radio voice that listeners will associate with the program, regardless of where he comes from.

While Darrin Looker probably has the voice and knowledge to do the job, I don't get the excitement from him when I am listening to women's hockey. I know people have had the argument about Hennessey being a homer, but he brings an excitement level to the action, as did Dan Hammer, and I think it adds a lot.

The last three "voices of Sioux Football", Dan Hammer, Ed Schultz, and Scott Miller, were all quite good IMO........................and they were all "outsiders".

I'm kind of intrigued by the Darin Looker idea.

Whoever it is, UND needs to make a smart hire here, someone who is knowledgable about the game, has a good radio personality and has a great radio voice that listeners will associate with the program, regardless of where he comes from.

I agree totally with this assessment. The days are probably gone when there would be a large contingent of Sioux fans at away games, so fans (and the football program) need a voice that will describe the action in a timely manner, accurately, and with some insight without assuming that the fan listening to the radio is so familiar with the x' s and o's of offense and defense that they can keep a picture of all 22 players throughout a play. The voice of football is going to be instrumental in keeping the interest that already exists and building a new, younger fan base at the same time. Half the games they do will be road games and the average fan will not be able to attend many of those so accuracy and enthusiasm for Sioux football will be very important.

• 2 weeks later...

Hammer does an excellent job with hockey on TV, based on the HS games I watched last night. Maybe it's just me but I think he is much better than Sweeney at hockey. Sorry for the off topic.

It wouldn't take much to top Sweeney at covering hockey games on television. Just not telling endless stories about old minor league hockey teams in Minneapolis/St. Paul would do the trick.